Removing the finish from a mod..?

Continuing the discussion from Hand check (what you vaping on today):

@worm1’s post reminded me of something that’s been on my mind so I thought I’d branch off and start a new thread. :wink:

The matte finish on Bob (my reauleux RX300) has started to rub off in places and I find myself sitting and scratching at it with my fingernail when I get fidgety (I should really get a fidget spinner…) which has made it look absolutely stupid and janky.

Does anyone have a good (easy) method of removing the matte layer (other than with my nails) without destroying the metal underneath?

Here’s a few spots where I’ve really gone to town…:roll_eyes:

As you can see, its nice and shiny under the finish and I’d totally love for the whole thing to look like that.

2 Likes

Very, VERY fine-grit sandpaper. I’m talking jewelry-grade. You don’t want to take any of the metal below the finish off; you just want to scrape the top 0.01mm that’s just the finish off.

ETA: Once you’re done that, the metal underneath may need a finish coat in order to stay at a nice sheen. I didn’t get this far last time I did this with a mod, but you’ll want a topcoat that’s heat resistant.

4 Likes

I would think as @dante stated a fine grit 800-1200 grit sandpaper or perhaps some fine scotchbrite pads.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks guys. I wasn’t sure if sandpaper would scuff up the metal or not. I’ll try to find some of that. Girl question: I should be able to find super fine grit sand paper at any regular hardware store right…?

2 Likes

Yes, you probably can find it at any hardware store. Anything above 800 grit like @BoyHowdy mentioned will work, but go for the finest grit they have.

1 Like

I wouldn’t trust sandpaper… in my hands at least, it’ll definitely destroy the metal too

I’d rather try stuff like this:

2 Likes

And… what exactly is that? :laughing:

plastic drill brush or whatever it’s called
Kinda like a plastic version of a steel brush for a drill

1 Like

How you remove the color from your nails? :slightly_smiling_face:
Acetone is a good start point but becarefoul to not touch plastic parts. Also ethanol/ethyl alcohol works very good.

2 Likes

That gives me an idea (anyone feel free to shut me down if this is a horrible idea). I have a spongy thing that attaches to a drill for refinishing/resurfacing headlights. Its very soft and squishy and just ever so slightly abrasive. Do you guys thing that would be more or less abrasive than super fine grit sand paper?

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be nice it they’d just sell stainless steel mods without all the flaky paint :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes. Yes it would.

a lot less abrasive. sand is pretty hard stuff.

1 Like

Lmao, yeah I suppose it is. :laughing:

Me? I sit there chipping it off with my other nails… :joy:

4 Likes

You do need something with a certain hardness, just less hard than the metal itself or you’re going to scratch it up.
Too squishy and it’s just going to wear down without taking the paint off.

1 Like

Like a circular sanding tool? I can’t remember the name for it right now. That will work fantastically, but you may want to get a jewelry polishing head for it, just for the sake of the mod.

ETA you’ll want to go over it with a jewelry polishing head after anyway, to buff it up to a mirror sheen. Then, top coat it. Boom, instant silver mod. DANG, that’ll be a head-turner.

1 Like

I went the easier way, I got a silicone skin for my BOB.

3 Likes

Yeah, it looks like a round sponge with a drill attachment on the back. I might try that very gently first since I already have it out in the garage.

Give it a go, let us all know how it goes. I’d love some before/after photos!

1 Like