[REQ] CastleLong using Brandy

We actually have a day dedicated to it. The liquor store guy down the street knows it’s my family calling to make sure they have it. Around Christmas I make an 8 pound gourmet cheesecake and my husband and my business partner and I have a gourmet cheesecake, coffee and B&B night.

We get out the big brandy snifters, tell large fish stories, share tales of old and better days and wake up the next morning with my business partner on the couch in the basement with screaming hang over’s.

Which reminds me I need to get my cheesecake recipes in order for the holidays lol

4 Likes

Finally found TPA Kentucky Bourbon and TFA Coconut Extra … in SWEDEN LOL,
ordered via website dunno when I will receive the package.
Could not find vanillin 10% TPA, I’m asking if any of the following flavors could be used instead:
FA Vanilla Bourbon or FA Vanilla Classic

2 Likes

10% vanillin was kind of weak as I recalled. I haven’t used in a while. I would try to sub it personally.

2 Likes

Vanillin is very sweet but it only has a light vanilla taste.It doesn’t add flavor as much as it makes flavors blend and seem more detailed.
See if you can buy Vanillin Crystals somewhere and you can make your own.

I think you will be pleased that you did , there is little doubt that those are two of the flavors they use in Castle Long.I love the Coconut (FA) but it wasn’t what we were needing in Castle Long.

1 Like

Ok, just made a 20ml batch with @BoyHowdy recipe on first post, recipe is here: Castle Brandy by BoyHowdy
It’s over the magnetic stirrer right now
I’ve reduced a little Brandy and added a little bit more Cocco to compensate, could not stand it after open it, just too strong … :confounded:

1 Like

After 24 Hours stirring I tested some puffs before to close the bottle and let it rest.
Not very impressed, I still can’t feel it, it’s in some way flat … without soul.
… I really hope it will get better with time.
Can’t understand what’s wrong with my procedure either, I mix by weight, scale is fine and setted, followed the recipe at 0,01 grams, still no joy…
I didn’t think could be so disappointing, lmao

1 Like

Just thinking aloud but the adjustments you made might be why it’s not right? Or it may just need a good steep - this can make a ton of difference!

I’m not familiar with the original recipe though…am sure @BoyHowdy can help get you back on track :+1:

Edited for spelling … I hate autospell!

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think there is a problem with your procedure @ErreVi . the only problem I feel is your ingredients.
There is a reason we have 58 Castle Long clones recipes on here and not a single one uses FA Coconut or Brandy.I honestly don’t think we can get an true “clone” while using those.The Vanillin we can cheat by using your FA classic vanilla , it won’t be the same of course but it should be a decent representation.
I know it is aggravating having to wait for flavors to come in but it is what it is.
I am going to try and make it tonight and use FA coconut and Brandy just to see how far off it is but I think @Beaufort_Batches nailed it in this earlier response.

4 Likes

Yes you both absolutely right, I agree 100% on everything but I was not seeking nor comparing my juice to Castle Long, I just wanted to try it with the curiousity test if the result could be something vapable lol

2 Likes

I like to always say the liquor flavors need time to meld. You may be happier after 2-4 weeks of steeping. Just saying. Fingers crossed for you.

3 Likes

IMO FA Coconut isn’t great. FA’s flavors are awesome, don’t get me wrong, but they’re very ‘true’ flavors and sometimes that’s not always a good thing. If you want fresh, unsweetened coconut, it’s great, but if you’re after that really nice toasted coconut that you’d get on top of a coconut cream pie, you’ll have to look elsewhere. The oak wood in EWS Castle Long v2 really makes it for me. It’s one of my favorite recipes and one of 2 recipes I’ve (adapted) and made in 12oz. I’m a coconut fanatic and it was every bit of everything I wanted in a coconut vape. The EWS I can vape fresh and still love it and it is almost better in a way because it has more of a bite to it that I really like. Still good when it steeps, just more mellow.

4 Likes

Thanks JoJo,
I’m trying to get the correct flavs, received yesterday TPA Kentucky Bourbon and Coconut Extra,
now only Vanillin is missing, I have found available and ordered Vanillin Crystals from TPA,
not sure is the one I need and if I will receive it by the end of the week anyway

2 Likes

I subbed madagascar from FA with no problem, but that’s just me. Good luck, I hope this works out for you. Now I need to go fill a tank with some Castle Long…all this talk has got me jonesin’. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Mixed all correct flavors as per recipe saturday, hopefully in 2 weeks I will have a proper Castle Long clone.
Thanks BoyHowdy and everybody here for precious inputs

4 Likes

Castle Long clone - did anyone had any success with Flavorah subs? I was thinking about

• FLV Bourbon: based on ConcreteRiver’s review it may work perfectly (KB from a bottle i have is the worst flavor of all; i assume it must be a bad bottle, because noone is crying about it; it doesn’t smell or taste bourbon-ish at all, but more like a stale beer). Is Oak Wood / Red Oak needed at all with FLV Bourbon?

• Vanillin: Shisha Vanilla/Madagascar combo? (i have second thoughts about buying another vanilla; i already have 10+ other vanillas and vanillin is not the one i would use frequently)

• Coconut Extra vs FLV Sweet Coconut / FLV Coconut combo? Can any sub be useful here at all? Thanks for your help.

The last time I made Castle Long, I used the following:
Castle Long Tut
4.00% Kentucky Bourbon (TPA)
2.00% Toasted Almond (TPA)
2.00% Vanillin 10% (TPA)
1.50% Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon) (FW)
1.50% Oak Wood (FA)
1.00% Acetyl Pyrazine 5%
1.00% Coconut (SC) (Real Flavors)
0.75% Brown Sugar (SC) (Real Flavors)
Changed the coconut and brown sugar to RF. Lowered the kentucky bourbon 2% the vanilla bourbon .5% the Oak Wood by 1% the toasted almond by 1% AP by 1%

The notes under the ingredients were my personal notes on things I was doing…

1 Like

I made this with my Oaked VG (Search “Oak Barrel” on ELR) so no additional oak flavs and subbed 1% Marzipan (FA) for toasted almond (TPA) I was vaping this when the topic popped up. Super tasty and the Marzipan is a little sweet. It was too strong as a SnV and even the first couple weeks …a month later? awesome

Castle Long - OakVG

2% Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA)
2% Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon) (FA)
2.5% Brown Sugar (TPA)
3% Coconut Extra (TPA)
6% Kentucky Bourbon (TPA)
1% Marzipan (FA)
2% Vanillin 10% (TPA)

4 weeks steep
adapted from @EWS’s

3 Likes