[REQ] Charlie's Custard

Maybe I’m just weird, or totally biased (and I’m honestly trying hard not to be biased), but I’ve been vaping this Charlie’s Custard all evening… and … it’s just not ‘smooth’ like a vanilla custard should be. It’s ok, and I will vape the rest of it of course, but it reminds me more of a plain cheesecake mix with a little custard more than a custard with a little cheesecake. I MUCH prefer my own recipe. But, perhaps it’s because my own is one of my ADV’s and I’ve gotten used to it?

I’m gonna have to let my 3 recipes steep, save some of this Charlie’s Custard I purchased, then do a blind taste test on someone willing me thinks. lol Perhaps I’ll let the willing victim blind taste Charlie’s orig, my 3 testers, and my own DaMomma’s VC and just label them ‘Tester 1’, ‘Tester 2’ , etc. Yup, that’s what I’m gonna do me thinks.

4 Likes

This is what i was thinking too, if you are going to use a CAP vanilla this would be my choice. Before i started using MF vanilla Simply Vanilla was my go to.

2 Likes

That is one of the downsides of VC V2, not very creamy at all.

2 Likes

I think the same thing. However, I keep reminding myself that this little quest is for a people that absolutely love the CC and find it hard to move on to something else. You, I and many others know diyers can mix circles around something like the CC, but if getting close enough to what they’re used to vaping satisfies them, so be it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Some folks just don’t know what they’re missing, being bent over the B&M barrel.

7 Likes

That will be interesting. I would volunteer for that test! but really if/when you do the test, I’d love to hear about the results :slight_smile: all the mixes I got from you are on point, soo good, makes it hard to choose which to vape lol caramella cake and nanner puddin are gone already tho lol :grin:

3 Likes

Ahhh… Thanks Mike! I’ll be happy to send you my ‘testers’. Won’t be for a month though.

shhhhhhhhh… they are sleepin’ in my curing cabinet now.

3 Likes

I just started using palm vg and I would have to agree it is thinner and to me anyway it is also smoother to vape than the soy base vg

3 Likes

Let me add this as well. I have vaped a lot of Charlie Nobel juice back when I first started vaping. Back then I was using the Nautilus tanks and mouth to lung style only. When I went to sub ohm it seems all the Charlie Noble juices flavors I used (Pistachio RY4, PB Cereal, Charlie’s Custard, Good Cookie) before seemed very harsh or maybe a better way to describe this was an abundance of flavor. (in a bad way) My point with this is I believe they have very high percentages of flavoring compared to the lower percentages most of us have become accustom to using.

When I first started DIY I tried to clone the juices I mentioned and never even came close. In my search for a clone recipe for either PB Cereal or Pistachio RY4 I came across a thread on reddit that had someone claiming to be Charlie Nobel and I remember seeing a picture posted that was supposed to be there lab and IF my memory serves me right I saw a bunch of Flavor West bottles in that pic.

My eyes are bothering me to much to search for this so I just wanted to try and give enough info so others could go look if they wanted. There lab is only about 100 miles from me I wonder if they would let me in to see it? Doubtful, I would guess.

4 Likes

Ahhh… yes. Everything you said makes a lot of sense. I’m definitely getting the ‘too much flavoring’ when I vape this CC.

Thanks for the information. And if you do ever get to visit their lab, please let us
know about it!

3 Likes

My personal guess is there advertised pg/vg percentages are probably going to get you very close to the total flavoring used in there juice.

Example 23pg/77vg will end up very close to 23% total flavoring

4 Likes

@Alisa
I would also bet there vg is cut with a very small percentage of distilled water

2 Likes

hey everyone,

charlie noble here. sorry i’m late to the thread, been a little busy with the FDA/TPD regulations. glad to see people enjoying the liquids enough to want to make their own!

couple things to help everyone out.

i do not use only Capella’s. i use all of the flavor houses, for different things. and the old lab pictures with the Flavor West is way out of date now. When i developed the Charlie Noble recipes, i also assumed the manufacture for a few lines of house liquids that used FW. They make some good products, but i do not use them unless absolutely necessary, and only after i have sent their flavors to an independent third party laboratory. we got burned badly with their yogurt debacle last year, and unfortunately, i do not trust their MSDS or lab reports without outside verification.

the lab is an ISO 8 certified facility, and we love to have people stop by. we have some video up in different places showing our bottling processes. we firmly believe in being as transparent as possible, and want every one of our customers to see the amount of care and dedication that goes into producing our liquids.

lastly…y’all are heading in some interesting directions with this recipe. none of them [so far] are close, but a few of them sound pretty tasty. i will say that there is no cheesecake in Charlie’s Custard, but that could be an interesting take on the profile.

once again, thank you. love all of you guys, and please, keep mixing!

-m.

9 Likes

Might just have to make the trip and come see you.

Your juice line was what got me off of the cigarettes after 46 years of 2 to 3 packs a day. If I could afford it I would probably have never started DIY’ing my own juice. I am not saying it is priced to high as commercial juice goes but living on a small fixed income does not allow for the cost of commercial juice.

I do still stop by the local vape shop and treat myself to a bottle of Pistachio RY4 or PB cereal once in awhile.

4 Likes

anytime. just give me a shout whenever you’re thinking about planning a trip, i’m not in the office everyday, been traveling a good bit recently. and thank you for trying/buying/enjoying our liquids. it really means a lot to all of us that people spend their money on the things we make!

5 Likes

Mabey @prettymatthew might send you a small sample pack to try out for a few more flavour profiles for you to try and nail down. :wink:

4 Likes

@Pattie trust me I have tried hundreds of times to make the 2 I mentioned above. I have never come even close to the same flavor of either juice. I am not saying none of them tasted decent but certainly not even close to the original

It is nice to see @prettymatthew interacting with us in a thread all about cloning his juice. This place never stops amazing me. Now if he would just give up the recipe for pistachio RY4 I promise I would not tell anyone. LOL

Trust me I can see a daytrip to visit them happening in the very near future. Another juice I liked from them was Charlie Noble Admiral’s Reserve: Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. :wink:

We have a pretty good group of mixologists here on ELR, if we nail it, we’ll send you a bottle! :grinning:

6 Likes

Looks delicious the Raspberry ripple ice cream. If you ever fly by his place remember to take photographs :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting. That “premium” juice makers come on here. I think it says we’re doing good. Enough for them to be wary

2 Likes

I wouldn’t read that as being wary. Just interested in what others like or dislike, possibly get real feedback or ideas or other avenues to pursue. I don’t see transparency as wary… if they had been wary they (would most likely) stayed anonymous. He/she/they are/is just another mixer.

1 Like