[REQ] Treeline Vapors Mount Massive

Unfortunately, I don’t give up very easily when trying to figure something out, whatever it is. Hence my OCD about Treeline Vapors Mount Massive.

I keep buying it by the truckload as it’s my absolute favorite.

My issue is that I can’t figure it out. Sure I’d like to save money but I’m getting the bottles for a very low price so I’m actually spending a lot more trying to DIY make a clone. It’s the figuring it out part that’s keeping me up at night.

“Hmm, I think I notice the Peanut Butter.”
“Ooh, there’s some Caramel - I think…”
“Vanilla? Okay, probably. Custard, could be.”
“Wait - do I detect Maple?!”
“Weird - it’s the only juice I vape that leaves a little crud on the coil - what’s that from?”
"Damn. There’s … just something there … that I can’t put my olfactory sensors on…

I know cloning is a no-no, mostly because you’ll never get it spot-on, and also because I have respect for the makers.

So maybe this is more of a “What’s your method of cloning?” I even tried malming a spoon of (real) peanut butter with a dribble of vanilla but that’s different enough from the aroma “flavor” of vaping that I’m not sure it’s a good tactic. Burn out a flavor you think is in it by eating the food version, vape, then detect a difference? Like olfactory fatigue?

In the meantime, if anyone enjoys Mount Massive and has any thoughts on the flavors used, I’m up for ideas.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’ll add to your question a similar request - what step can I take to approximately reach 85% of Phillip Rocke’s Honey Cream. i know he has his own Northern CA Honey custom made into a flavoring. that in and of itself isn’t the key. A MF honey would likely suffice. Is FLV Oak Barrel in it or does Gemini actually age the eliquid in oak barrels. I believe they do that, using the equivalent of a bouncing ball inside a sealed barrel so that the total volume is not as large per barrel as you could fill if you chose, but in doing so allows for betters absorption to occur more equally. IDK . Above my pay grade. And there is nothing wrong with cloning a branded eliquid. Some will be impossible for they use proprietary flavorings made specifically for that one manufacturer and not made available for purchase to any other. Doesn’t mean you can’t try to come close. A number of vendors have released their actual recipes for their customers to use when they discontinue making a flavor (I’m specifically thinking of one who did that when they made the wise decision to no longer include products that include dicetyls et al.) I think that was very big of them, and they complete message they posted along with those recipes include d their ‘why’ and a request that said recipes never be used with their Original Names for commercial purposes. That was on reddit. What I think is wrong, is I found about 10 copies of one of their recipes here on elr, the second of which actually cited the source material, but was flagged as a copy of the first, which failed to cite any source or leave a single instruction for the person who stumbles onto it.

I thought we were asked to include silly things like how long we might suggest steeping a recipe and where we personally sourced our ingredients. People who actually include details that speak of the changes to a recipe from their original concept are very educational. People who offer additional thoughts like you may wish to add this or or that fruit to the above mix at xyz% have really earned their stripes.

I would suggest you do a recipe search by flavor stash with the key ingredients you have discerned. and include potential subs that might be used. Search first for the peanut butter and caramel. then use the same peanut butter with another brand of caramel. then add a third variable to your search. … Gnight.

1 Like

My worthless advice is to get to know as many flavors as you can. Single flavor mixes and then combine them with the other flavors you like or think that you might like. There are times I will taste a commercial juice and will know exactly which fruit flavor they are using just because I am so into certain fruits and some are very distinct. There is no substitute for knowing your flavors. Take notes if you need to.

Some commercial juice companies are the masters of deception when it comes to their flavor descriptions. The art of persuasion can trick your mind to taste things differently. For instance a juice description may say " a gentle touch of white grape" in reality they might get the taste effect from pear and a tiny amount of lychee. Don’t trust the juice company’s descriptions.

Sometimes things are not as they seem. This ties into both of the above points. Know your flavors and try to keep a completely open mind devoid of preconceived ideas of what the flavors are. A good example is vanilla. If you are sure its in there, it could come from so many different flavorings. A straight vanilla, a custard, marshmallows, creams, whipped creams etc. Another example is a juice a local store makes. The description says caramel, but its really toasted marshmallow that when blended with the other flavors such as butter, gives a kind of caramel taste.

Layering. Something I learned about on this forum and you can search for. Once you know your flavorings you will know that its brand A peanut butter you are tasting and know that its the dominant flavor and its never mixed above 7%. The second strongest flavor is brand C or brand B maple or a combination, but you have to test them both and at varying percentages until you get the majority of the taste you are looking for.

Additives. This sweetener, that sweetener, this sweetener AND those other two? Vape Wizard? Sour Wizard? Oba Oba? What do you personally consider an additive? For me, anything like a custard, cream, milk or whipped cream is an additive because they aren’t really my thing but they sometimes have a usefulness in small percentages. Any flavor can be an additive at a certain point. Sometimes 0.25 percent is that underlying mystery flavor your clone was lacking.

Perseverance and patience. You must have both to attempt cloning. Even if you are really good and have some kind of natural talent, you will make plenty of batches that just aren’t right. A friend that has mixed way longer than me has nailed a few clones, but most are just kinda close and he has probably tossed thousands of rejects. Another friend was able to make a really good clone of an older juice. It was his experience mostly, but also because he did detective work and found which flavorings were available at the time and was able to eliminate anything more recent. He also talked to someone that had worked at the company and hinted at which flavors he should try. The last piece of the puzzle is that he found out the owner would only deal with flavoring companies that were close so that he could easily drive for supplies if needed. That cut the brand of flavor suppliers down to two.

So that is my worthless rambling advice. Take it for what its worth, with a grain of salt, with a full glass of water and two aspirin, or just kick me in the nuts in the morning. Best of luck and let us know what kind of results you get.

1 Like

^^^ this (and all the characters)

No, that’s spot on, thanks!