Rule of thumb on % in recipes?

So what is the rule of thumb when creating recipes on how much total % a recipe should be from 2 flavors to 3 or 4 and so on. I understand I want to have more of one flavor than the other depending on the taste I’m looking for. But is it less flavor the less total % of flavor or…? If this makes sense. Please help. Thanks and happy vaping!

1 Like

There isn’t really a rule of thumb on total flavour percentage in a mix. There are some recipes that I frequently mix that have 17% total flavour, while other have as little as 9%. Some companies (TPA and Capella, for example) need higher percentages on average, while other like Medicine Flower and Inawera need far lower ones.

If you look on each flavouring’s page there is a section below the MSDS that says “Percentages in Recipes” that gives you the average and median percentage used in both recipes and as a single flavour. When I’m trying things out for the first time or substituting a flavour, I find it to be a very helpful thing to use.

2 Likes

this is a tough nut to crack , and will always go back to " taste being subjective " and it will obviously depend on concentrates being used , sometimes to much of a flavor will mute the taste of a flavor or using a certain combinations of flavors , there are a lot of people using Real Flavors and Medicine Flower which are " super concentrates " and those at too high of a percent are overwhelming , ill give you an example i have a guava mix that myself and a lot of people i mix for love and i tried a V2 and raised the percent of the guava by 1pct and a couple other flaves by half a percent and the mix turned into something imo is bad the original is like 7 pct total flavor and its a nice strong vape if you have any questions feel free to PM me and we could chat or post more specific guestions the answers will be broad otherwise because it will go back to tatse being subjective

1 Like

here a great read

3 Likes

The replies are great. I would caution you if you try to rule by your thumb…it may get cut off. I tried mixing by thumb and lost the left one. In hopes of applying the rule of thumb but not wanting to loose another I tried using my big toe…yup that one is gone now. But I lost the right one…so I guess it balanced things out.

2 Likes

I mix bakery flavors which tend to tend to taste on the weak side at max. VG. I now know which flavors to boost the percentages to achieve a good taste. I try to break down the recipe to a single primary taste (one flavor dominating) and adjust others to supporting and enhancer statuses. My happy place over all percentage normally runs from 13 - 20% flavor for most of my mixes (excluding fruit mixes in particular–I rate these the strongest category).
I wish there was a quick easy rule of thumb but each mix and category has to be handled differently with regards to flavor percentages.