Salts Explained?

I’ve only been vaping for 2 months and still mix everything at 9mg, I started at 12mg.

This is true, but as I’m still learning, each mix and each build improve so at times it is hard to tell what has caused the improvements.

But I love the nic salts!

3 Likes

Oh I love them too, but know part of it is the superfast nicotine, similar to a cigarette. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to have a work break without hitting my pod o’ salts when before I could even forget to vape.

Salts are a game changer IMO. They are more addictive (to me), but I am thinking that the instant nic gratification is, or will be conducive to higher quitting success rates for smokers.

7 Likes

Will my salt based e-liquid ever discolor or will it just stay crystal clear?
In 2 weeks normally it would start taking on a goldish tint, this bottle I mixed with salts is not.

1 Like

I can say that my bottle of 100mg/ml VG salts is a few weeks old and not refrigerated. It is still colorless. I keep my small stash of flavors and nic in an ammo box so it is dark in there, but not cold. The freebase nic still darkens some. Also the juices I made with just nic salts seem to stay the color that the flavors gave them. I have not been using the salts for very long, but there have been no changes as I can tell.

It might be weird but I actually like a little oxidation for flavor and my salts haven’t done that yet. lol

3 Likes

That is what i’m wondering too, as the flavors blend and the oxidation process happens the juice comes together into a single flavor. usually 2 weeks in this flavor I have mixed would begin discoloration, but the bottle with salts is still crystal clear. I’m just trying to figure out what this is indicating? The acid in the freebase nicotine causes oxidation with the flavors in the mix?

when my wife tried this uncured salty e-liquid, she said she dont like it, its too smooth :rofl:

2 Likes

Vice versa
Freebase is alkaline (enabling titration tests with acid)

Nic salts are acidic which slows the oxidation (colour change) in juice to a virtual stand still.

4 Likes

That brings up another query:
So what are your thoughts on using a blend of half regular and half salts to mix e-liquid? as @Bugalien mentioned?

2 Likes

I really can’t see any issue with it. It will just bring the ph back closer to neutral / alkaline which will increase the throat hit (as it gets closer or past a neutral ph).

I am fairly confident this is how NN formulate their salts smooth, signature and hit.

I believe another method would be to add your own acids (such as benzoic as used by juul) to freebase to achieve the level of TH you wish.

3 Likes

Have you or anyone tested the PH of each of the smooth and hit NR or NN products? I have been sampling NR smooth, and taste wise it is just that…smooth. My wife even nailed that difference when she tasted it she said “that is smooth” followed by “I like the other one” (freebase nic).

I had never thought so much about ph as having an effect on taste of e-liquid

1 Like

No I havent tested ph but have used both smooth and hit (i no longer use NN)

2 Likes

I feel the same way about Nic Salt. Then I remember I have 3 years worth of freebase in my freezer.:cry:

1 Like

Until I got my hands on the nic salts, I still had the odd ciggie. (Started vaping 2nd February)
But now I’m not having any at all! :sunglasses:
I wonder if the nic hit is better too.
Think I’ve only got 100ml left of the base, it can sit in the freezer. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m about to purchase some nicotine, so I am reading this thread with interest. I find this very compelling. With all the discussion about the Maillard reaction and the alkalinity of freebase nic (many prior discussions), it seems nic salts may be stopping/slowing the Maillard reaction (Yellowing of steeping e-liquids).

If your Nic Salt juices are still showing evidence of steeping without an apparent Maillard reaction (stays clear), then all our notions of steeping=maillard reaction is challenged! Kind of a big deal… Anyone making Custards with Nic Salts and enjoying a cured Custard after 4 weeks? [looks over at @Ken_O_Where]

5 Likes

I’m still playing around with nic salt as well, but I can tell you that it works great with fruits, beverages, lighter bakeries and creams.

While my custard isn’t bad, its very different to my custard I’ve made with freebase. It felt to me that it taste crisper/clearer but lost its thickness/creaminess. So I’m assuming, again I have no real lab to test it, that it amplifies specific flavors and dulls/mellows thicker/richer.

But I’m running some cap v1 testers at the moment to be sure I’m not crazy, since we all know how thick and rich that custard normally is lol. Not my favorite but hey easy to test with.

Also my issue lies that most salts apparently can’t/should be vaped above 50watts, I enjoy my custards at higher wattage even tho I normally vape low watt. I did notice that my other custard does get a metallic aftertaste with the salt. My fruits if on higher watt with same salt don’t do that.

Hope someone else can chime in, but I’ll keep my findings posted.

Edit: I only use low nic and don’t do high nic pods myself, maybe a custard would be different then? I let my friend be the Guinea pig for 2 weeks I guess, so I can maybe report on that too

2 Likes

Sorry, good sir, but i have never used nic salts. I still have 40 hundred gallons of regular nic in the freezer.

4 Likes

I don’t want to see your nic (that’d be asking for a Nic Pic) I wanna see your FREEZER :wink:

5 Likes

Nic salts in Grubby Mother (my version of @anon45050679’s MM clone) think we can all agree that custard (even a light custard such as this one) would normally be a lot darker in colour than this one after this amount of time.

This is not the bottle i use (i have this recipe as one of my adv) it is one i have sitting on the desk in a clear bottle that i vape from time to time to test the life of the juice so far it hasn’t changed taste at all.

One of the boffins can chime in here if I am wrong (I am not 100% sure just 99%) it is my understanding that a Maillard reaction must contain sugar. So I would say the colour change is a combination of oxidation and flavour color. (unless you are using certain FW concentrates which contain sugar :rofl: )

Grubby Mother

Ingredient %
Coconut (CAP) 1.50
Erythritol 5% (NN) 0.45
Graham Cracker v1 (CAP) 1.20
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) 0.15
Marshmallow (CAP) 1.00
Saline (0.9% solution) 0.25
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 4.50
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2.00

Flavor total: 11.05%

5 Likes

@woftam Thanks! …a picture is worth… Actually I see this being in more and more Commercial juices just for this reason …longer shelf life. I have had older juices go too far (Custards), and you can bet plenty of Com. juices have been tossed for just that reason.

5 Likes

“Keep away from children, pets and dragons” - hahahaha! :smile:

4 Likes

I have to respectfully disagree with this. Now , I’m thinking that our difference in perspectives might be due a difference between the American and the Brirish markets; but in Britain, commercial 48mg juice was freely available prior to the TDP (which made 20mg the legal max) and I used to vape it myself .

These juices were designed for MTL of course , which was pretty standard a few years back , especially for beginners, the sub-ohmers being the minority. Now, a number of British companies did recommend starting at 24mg , even for heavy smokers; but as I understand it, that recommendation was based on the misconception that all of the nic in the juice is absorbed by the vaper. if so,t hat would make 1ml of 24mg approximately equal to 25-26 cigs, which would make it fairly easy for a heavy smoker to get their fulll nicotine fix… (well , unless forced to confine their vaping to coffee breaks, ofc.because you do have to invest more time into getting that fix from MTL vaping than from smoking)

But the inconvenient fact is that your MTL vaper only absorbs about 40% of that nicotine, so that makes your 1ml of 24mg more like a half -a-pack of cigs. So , of course medium-heavy smpokers were going spare , trying to make do with 24mg or less , and having much more success with 48mg.

I think it;'s really sad that 20mg is now the max in the EU. The maket seems to have adapted to the regs by producing an increasing variety of sub-ohm pocket devices for beginners . But then, there’s also that regulation maximum tank size of 2ml to contend with. Not very sub-ohm friendly is it?

And, of course, you can’t buy those 50mg Juul pods here in Brtitain. Not legal. There was talk of Juul bringing out 20mg pods for the EU market. Dunno if that;'s happenened yet ? But it won’t be the same, will it?

2 Likes