Salts Explained?

I don’t want to see your nic (that’d be asking for a Nic Pic) I wanna see your FREEZER :wink:

5 Likes

Nic salts in Grubby Mother (my version of @anon45050679’s MM clone) think we can all agree that custard (even a light custard such as this one) would normally be a lot darker in colour than this one after this amount of time.

This is not the bottle i use (i have this recipe as one of my adv) it is one i have sitting on the desk in a clear bottle that i vape from time to time to test the life of the juice so far it hasn’t changed taste at all.

One of the boffins can chime in here if I am wrong (I am not 100% sure just 99%) it is my understanding that a Maillard reaction must contain sugar. So I would say the colour change is a combination of oxidation and flavour color. (unless you are using certain FW concentrates which contain sugar :rofl: )

Grubby Mother

Ingredient %
Coconut (CAP) 1.50
Erythritol 5% (NN) 0.45
Graham Cracker v1 (CAP) 1.20
Liquid Stevia (Pyure) 0.15
Marshmallow (CAP) 1.00
Saline (0.9% solution) 0.25
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 4.50
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 2.00

Flavor total: 11.05%

5 Likes

@woftam Thanks! …a picture is worth… Actually I see this being in more and more Commercial juices just for this reason …longer shelf life. I have had older juices go too far (Custards), and you can bet plenty of Com. juices have been tossed for just that reason.

5 Likes

“Keep away from children, pets and dragons” - hahahaha! :smile:

4 Likes

I have to respectfully disagree with this. Now , I’m thinking that our difference in perspectives might be due a difference between the American and the Brirish markets; but in Britain, commercial 48mg juice was freely available prior to the TDP (which made 20mg the legal max) and I used to vape it myself .

These juices were designed for MTL of course , which was pretty standard a few years back , especially for beginners, the sub-ohmers being the minority. Now, a number of British companies did recommend starting at 24mg , even for heavy smokers; but as I understand it, that recommendation was based on the misconception that all of the nic in the juice is absorbed by the vaper. if so,t hat would make 1ml of 24mg approximately equal to 25-26 cigs, which would make it fairly easy for a heavy smoker to get their fulll nicotine fix… (well , unless forced to confine their vaping to coffee breaks, ofc.because you do have to invest more time into getting that fix from MTL vaping than from smoking)

But the inconvenient fact is that your MTL vaper only absorbs about 40% of that nicotine, so that makes your 1ml of 24mg more like a half -a-pack of cigs. So , of course medium-heavy smpokers were going spare , trying to make do with 24mg or less , and having much more success with 48mg.

I think it;'s really sad that 20mg is now the max in the EU. The maket seems to have adapted to the regs by producing an increasing variety of sub-ohm pocket devices for beginners . But then, there’s also that regulation maximum tank size of 2ml to contend with. Not very sub-ohm friendly is it?

And, of course, you can’t buy those 50mg Juul pods here in Brtitain. Not legal. There was talk of Juul bringing out 20mg pods for the EU market. Dunno if that;'s happenened yet ? But it won’t be the same, will it?

2 Likes

Where did you get that number from?
I have been curious about the actual absorbency rate of nicotine in vape for a while, but I haven’t found any actually research about it.

2 Likes

I bassed my figure some reseach tha Dr Farsalinos did a few years ago, Actually his figure was more like one third (or less) of the nic is absorbed but that figure is dependant on the kit used . I (more or less arbitrarily) figured that generously rounding it up to 40% would compensate for any hardware improvements in the interim, if necessary .(not very scientific, I know, but a simple fix for a complex question., and I’m becoming increasingly lazy with numbers, i fear)

If you Google Dr Farsalinos , you’ll find any number of articles about it.

Here’s a good one- Farsalinos explaining why 20mg is not enough, and compaining that the EU commission misinterpreted his research

Call me cynical, but I’m pretty sure they did that deliberately at the bidding of you-know-who. Better keep an eye on the FDA, in case they make that identical mistake

1 Like

Thanks. I know about Dr Farsalinos but didn’t know he had made studies on this.

2 Likes

Has anyone mixed with LNW 250mg 100% VG Nic Salt? What did you find was the best or calculated way to mix this down so I don’t poison myself to death? I just got a 120 ml and this is my 1st venture into Salt DIY. I have been mixing regular ejuice for about 4 years and I have some great recipes but I am wondering how they will be affected by the super high nic concentration plus the throat hit associate with Nic Salt. Just curious if anyone out there has an opinion or experience. Thanks, Mike in ATX

1 Like

with 250mg/ml, I would be tempted to pre-dilute. Mistakes feel like they could start having consequences.
Also, on typical 30ml batches, it will make for very small amounts unless you require lots of nicotine. Say a 6mg/ml nic batch of 30ml would only require 0.72mL or 0.91g of nic fluid, which is pretty hard to measure precisely enough.

If you are only mixing for yourself or at the same nicotine level, you can easily enough make a premix vg/pg/nicotine you can keep in the fridge where there is less chance of you being far off.

I am thinking to do this myself as I am pretty much settled on 70VG at 1.8-2mg/ml nic salt
For my own use, I would probably just do 420 ml of premix base with
360ml VG + 60ml nic at 18mg/ml, when you complete with 30% of flavours/PG you get the 1.8mg/mL I am gunning for.

In your case, say you want 6mg at 70VG
You could do a pre dilution of you nic using
473.20 mL VG + 16.8 mL of 250mg/mL nic.
When mixing, you would add the flavours, top up with straight PG to 30% by volume and then add your mix by weight as if it was VG.

Happy to help you go the trough the computation with you if you need.

1 Like

hehe… you said 420. Sounds good when it comes in I will report back my test runs and publish my recipes. I am vaping regular ejuice at 3 mg so it sounds like I will need to half what you recommend.

1 Like

The easiest way to check would be to create a recipe with all the parameters right in the calculator, add whatever of a PG based flavour to make the right ratio ( say 30% for 70VG ) and only mix the VG/NIC part of it.

1 Like

I only work with Max VG if I can help it. Can you share an example recipe for me to checkout or base mine on using that 250 mg 100% VG Nic Salt? Sorry to have to ask for assistance but I don’t maths very good.

1 Like

For max VG, my method may not quite work.

You could still do a 3mg base, and not care about the drop in nicotine concentration when it is added to flavours. It would not be that significant. 2.85 mg/mL for 5%, 2.7mg/mL for 10% flavour, 2.4mg/mL for 20% flavour.
Or you could do a ~6.3mg/mL, and somewhat compensate a bit. All depends about how precise you care about being.

1 Like

@Mike512 Heheheh don’t mix high% Nic at 4:20 …just sayin’ :smirk::sunglasses::expressionless:

4 Likes