Signatures

The “problem” is that I use SSO, which means that Discourse already has the ELR ID that we need, but I cannot access it from a template - external_id is just not there :frowning:

Mark me down as a fan of the easy to read, uncluttered look, Also a fan of making it as easy as possible for Lars to maintain our special hangout.

6 Likes

+1 for no signatures. As you said, @daath there’s already info if you click on the person’s name. I like that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I always treasured that this forum doesn’t waste screen space on useless signatures! On other forums with signatures I found that I practically never read the signatures and they just add up to a lot of rubbish on the screen. My 2c :wink:

7 Likes

Actually, I’ve seen a tool for a forum once for the user side. Browser plug in which added a pre formatted text to your post. I think it was grease monkey for Firefox with a script for the forum.

But now that I thought about it for a minute, maybe that would be like opening a can of worms and grow wild.

2 Likes

I like kind of the idea but only mildly. If it’s going to take more than a half hour of fiddling then maybe not. The idea for linking to our recipe side from the forum side is more useful I think. Then again like Lars said it was tricky to do so it’s not super important. We can manually add a signature if we want.

~~~~ Some random pretentious or ridiculous quote from one of my nerdy fandoms.~~~~~

3 Likes

I’m for the uncluttered look too… any more information should be in the public user profile.

3 Likes

That’s not a problem if you just add extra fields for people to fill in themselves

1 Like

I am another that is not in favor of a signature in each and every post because I really like the clean and uncluttered look of this forum…I agree with @daath that the info should be shown by clicking someone’s avatar…but I also agree with @Alisa about allowing more personality and think that having control over one’s own title line would allow this…

5 Likes

I’d have to side with the clean look. It’s irritating constantly seeing the same signature popping up over and over through a thread. Without them there is no unnecessary written clutter.

4 Likes

I’m all for the clean and uncluttered look that we have today.
If we could create signatures i’m pretty sure some would go totally overboard with information and it would be a nightmare looking at threads to find information.

5 Likes

In another forum I use for RC car racing they have signatures. Everyone puts there gear they are using. So it would end up being the same here.

e.g. Wismec such and such tank such and such, etc.

However in the settings there is an option for me to see other peoples signatures or not. I selected not. I much prefer not to have them Interestingly this guy had done a research study with a dyno on shocks and kept stating his link was with all his posts. I couldn’t for the life for me work it out, not putting it together. He kept the link with his signature and I wasn’t seeing them took me weeks to work it out. (wasn’t really thinking it through though. But thought I’d add that in case you were thinking of going ahead an having an option.

2 Likes

While I do like signatures if I’m new to a forum, I tend to not like them after being on a forum for any length of time, just more clutter that users have to scroll by to get to the next thread, imho the clean look is nice. Unless there is an option under settings that a person can turn off the signature lines.

5 Likes

Meh… take em or leave em lol

2 Likes

Another no vote. Often people’s signatures end up being in a bigger font than the reply, they don’t create a separation between the reply and signature and the eye doesn’t easily distinguish what is the message and what is the signature. When you are trying to quickly scan a topic it makes it cumbersome.

But if there was an option to turn signature view off, then there’s no issue.

2 Likes

Back when I first started on ELR I thought I would like having that little blurb you see where the person quit smoking so many days ago and didn’t smoke so many cigarettes and saved this much money. I imagine you know what I talking about. These days I have no real desire for that. Other type frills tagged to my posts don’t seem to appeal to me either. But that’s just me and my opinion for myself. Another thought though, I feel if @daath is fighting to have enough space for the features we already have then perhaps we shouldn’t add a feature that will most likely have a graphic in every post…

5 Likes

This is almost how I feel just worded better, lol. The idea of adding individuality is appealing but it really would get cluttered as many other have said. The bottom line is, how much work and resources it would take for Lars to do it. It doesn’t seem necessary especially if it would cause him a head ache.

2 Likes