Single flavor testing

that is exactly why you single flave test

3 Likes

I drop it straight from the bottle, some are harsh but when your trying to work out layers it helps a lot

2 Likes

Youā€™re a brave brave soul. lol

4 Likes

One thing Iā€™d like to suggest Is to test a concentrate in itā€™s most natural stateā€¦ finger tasting the actual flavor concentrate. Finger tasting concentrates has become an essential part of my SF test process.

Over time Iā€™ve learn to judge some flavors by just a sniff and a taste. When I first started using this method I also did a SF mix. Finger tasting the concentrate before and again during your SF vape test will help you learn and gain confidence in your finger taste tests.

This method has saved me a lot of time and materials when trying to gauge new flavors and get a good idea of flavor accuracy and starting %s.

I know this method is kinda out of the box, but what would DIY be if everybody did everything exactly the same way.

11 Likes

Such good information contained in this topic! I am in the process of my own SFT and was wondering.
When you mix a flavor what percentage do you start at?
Do you remix that same flavoring if your not getting the taste?
What is the fastest way to do SFT?
I have been looking at the flavor notes and starting at the minimum and have quickly realized that it is not going to work for me.
Here is an example:
TPA Apple. Started at 5% ended at 25% in increments of 2% and then at increments of 5% over the course of weeks!!
I will smell the concentrate to begin with and then sample the straight concentrate on my knuckle and when iā€™m done cringing will make notes and proceed to mix. Will vape on fresh setup after mixing and make some notes.I will then let it sit a minimum of 4 days. After 4 days i will smell, taste and vape the mix and make notes.I am repeating this process until I can get the most flavor.
As my flavor stash is now somehow over 350 concentrates i will be at this forever! But at least Iā€™m having fun and learning along the way! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

4 Likes

I decide on percentage after reading the thru the flavor list notes. The medians are to vague. I donā€™t adjust anything after mixing so I know how the flavor reacts to steeping time. Some flavors taste very differently from 3 days to 8 weeks. I have some that bore me until they hit the 4-8 week mark and are then quite lovely.

5 Likes

i choose percentage based on manufacturer , notes , and ill look at the top rated recipes to see how the flavor was used and by who , a lot of times someone here has tested and ill depend on their notes ā€¦ if you went off median in the notes section i think you may have a hard time with some flavors , like Lembas Bread from FLV the median is like 1.5ish , i did two drops in 10 ml and that was strong , unfortunately the flavors we use are all over the place with strength so starting low is always best , i would probably take the median for SF and drop it a percent or so ā€¦ SFT are tough sometimes

6 Likes

I learned the hard way to not use the medianā€¦Hadnā€™t noticed the range to reach the median %. Some will try 20% out the gate and then slam the flavor as terrible.

6 Likes

I started going by median and that ended up very bad, with some flavors lol.

Smoky Blue posted her method somewhere, going by drops, and while Iā€™m not following it hundred percent, it did and still does help me.

But with some flavors tho, you are going to drop yourself to death, since they are extremely weak.

in that case, or if I want a quick test, Iā€™ll pick median. However having learned from my experience in the past with that lol, I go 1-3% lower than median. I can always add more and while I can dilute if itā€™s too much, just not worth the time.

3 Likes

I very much appreciate the replies and the help from all. :joy: I am finding SFT 'ing is both frustrating and beneficial. I am finding that so far the 20 or so flavorings i have mixed and tested have all been pretty weak! I have been using the median, notes and also studying recipes. I have stopped finger testing the concentrates from the bottle in the undiluted form as I nearly burned holes in my tongue on more than one occasion!! I do finger test once in a mix though! Does anyone find they taste stronger than they actually vape? Has been my finding so far!

2 Likes

Yes! I find the same!!! :slight_smile:

I found this to be helpful/of interest:

ā€œConverting a recipeā€™s pg/vg ratio - rule of thumb for flavour %?ā€

Maybe this might help you?

I use FA flavours, 1.1ohm @ 5-15 watt pen style, 50/50 pg/vg, 6-12mg nic.
I have only been vaping for 5 months.
Given the above info and the info related to in the above post:
I had previously mixed some STā€™s at 5% some were okay and some not.

Some of my STā€™s that have been adjusted (not final as yet):

Espresso cream: has flavour at 5% but the single mix % in the flavour notes is 4%.

Nonnas Cake: flavour notes single @ 3%
, i started at 5% but there was little flav, increased to 7% can now taste. 12mg

Pina Colada: currently 6.25% 6mg

Forest Mix: flavour notes single 4.7% currently 7% 6mg

Berryl (Raspberry): flavour notes single 3%, currently 5% 9mg

Lemon Sicily: flavour notes single 3%, currently 3% 9mg

Sicilian citrus mix: flavour notes single 3.5%, currently 3% 9mg

I am in the process of using mt STā€™s to mix flavours and some of the flavours are more pronounced when mixed but some muted too, trial and error, lol :laughing:

So i do feel that the variances are due to all the factors that people suggest and it will just take some time to figure out what your palate is.

Also my hubby uses vaporesso veco tank at 0.3 -0.4ohm at about 18 to 20watt.
These same flavours are much more pronounced with that unit compared to mine, so hardware definitely contributes.

Sorry this was so long, i just wanted you to see that it is not only you having these startup issues. I am finally starting to make progress but it can be soooo frustrating when you cant get it to work for you.

Most of all dont give up!! :wink:

4 Likes

LoLā€¦ @Pro_Vapesā€¦ please! do not try this with that Lovage by Flavorah! There are a few others too, your mouth will end up ruined, and no amount of scope will become an immediate remedy to the situation! :stuck_out_tongue:

(but your post did make me laugh, thank you!) I do agree, once mixed with base, finger taste is better, but not always a true rep of the juice, it will give a ball park idea of how it is progressing [and one of my fav things to do is to lick juices, Im weird, I know it! and prob a few other colorful adjectives! ) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My 1st step is to sniff the flavor. In some cases I know not to FT by how the sniff was. Most times for me, a bad sniff and finger taste test mostly ended in a SFT that proved it was just a bad flavorā€¦ at least for my taste preference.

On the flip side though, In a lot of instances, (especially with some MF flavors) all that was needed was just opening the bottle. It just fills the room with that fragrance and turned out to be just wonderful. I havenā€™t found many synthetic flavors that can do that.

I also find that when I properly research a flavor than 1/2 the battle is won by just avoiding some flavors. Good flavor news tend to travel, saving me a lot of headaches. Trying flavors that people I trust has already given a thumbs up has worked out great for me.

2 Likes

i too have experienced that, and yes it is fantastic when it happens! :slight_smile:
I tend to never go by other reviews or notes, I keep my own, I donā€™t even like to glance at anyone elseā€™s work as I do not want it to interfere with how I can sense/taste certain flavors. Once I am done tho, I will go look, and most the times I get so many good laughs, it sticks with me forever! :slight_smile:

All I can say is youā€™re sure missing out on a lot of good work and flavors. I tend to like my mixes more than others, but I have gained a lot by viewing other mixers work and notes and I incorporate some into my own routines.

1 Like

Not missing out on flavors, @Pro_Vapesā€¦
I have had my run of all the tfa and the standards, and the supers, bakers flavors, tasty vapes, azure vaping and more.

I used to have over 5k of different flavorings from all over the world. Shipping was a killer.
Would I start back collecting again, not reallyā€¦ I have a few favs but I really donā€™t use other brands often.
It all works out, as long as I am happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I spoke out of turn with that flavors remark and I apologize for that, but Iā€™ll be hard for me to work with just 1 vendors flavors, because no 1 vendor makes the best of every flavor.

EDITā€¦ Oops screwed up againā€¦ maybe I should just shut up.

I avoid quite a bit of those myself.

1 Like

No worriesā€¦ I hear it a lot of the time.
Honestlyā€¦ I am really happy working with what I have.
I do have flavors my lab creates too, and those are my pride and joysā€¦
So I have the best of both worlds in quiet a lot of flavors. is all good.
I have been doing this now for almost 6 yrsā€¦ as of this month.

I even got a hold of some vt?vta orange marmalade, and I wasnā€™t impressed.
I did my solo of it from .25% up to 4% and yeah it just wasnā€™t a flavor for me.

I remember back when I jumped on every new flavor release, but I stopped that after so much disappointment. Iā€™m pretty happy with my stash as those are the flavors that appeals to my taste. Unless itā€™s an extremely hyped flavor, (againā€¦ by mixers I trust) I just do without.

2 Likes

I can say there is over 400 flavors that we as vapers could be using.
The question isā€¦ what and when will be released and out of those released, what will stick around and maintain a best seller typeā€¦ I think there is a 4 year mark, and with regulations restrictions etc, it is a tough business to be involved in. I do feel for those that help make our taste buds come alive, and it takes a lot of work for that to happen with new mixers. For those of us more experienced, I find it true, we stop when we find what we believe at the times involved, on things that taste good to us.

If you recall, our bodies as well as our senses change, every 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months and so on, up until our 3rd year. Once past that mark, the process starts again. What I vaped 6 yrs ago, I can not stand now.

Itā€™s why, back on topic :stuck_out_tongue: I go thru my solo taste testing at least every 3 months as a refresher. Itā€™s so easy to say I like these 4 juices, but even after a while, you need something to freshen in all up with. :slight_smile:

and drama? you think you see it all on line, but I swear at least in my lab, its like wow. The things I have seen and ducked under haha!! yeah it makes the 3 initial forums look like kindergarten! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes