Smoker wanting to convert to vaping, need to choose a device

:astonished:
Well in that case it may be worth the money to order a few things online and find out what you want that way… safety is priceless.

3 Likes

I’m sure the details are far from boring; but let’s just say: damn! you have my sympathy :hugs:

1 Like

Quick question, lets say I received a DTL and it’s too much for me, will I get used to it eventually? It makes sense that i will, I am just being paranoid that I’ll cause even more damage to my body somehow if I just storm ahead until I get used to it :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s far from boring, but it’s probably best if I don’t add to my country’s bad reputation hehe. Everything is on YouTube and such anyway. Violent protesting, cash in transit heists etc. But then again, I am not making a special case here, I know that it’s bad in other places too

1 Like

Does that really matter? I wonder…
Most people I see vaping don’t mess with the settings. They find their power range and press the fire button. But it’s nice to have the settings if you want to try something different so you won’t have to buy another mod.

2 Likes

lol, I had the exact same worry when I started DL. I experimented with weed (and other stuff we tried to smoke) and a DL really hurt my lungs. I stayed away from it for a long time… but it’s really not bad. I actually get more of a throat hit when I use a MTL device.

Initially, the first couple puffs you may be nervous but you’ll see you need not worry. Just start on a low setting. E.g. if your coils are rated for 40-60W… try at 30W. It will be like sucking air through a straw, nothing much will be happening. Then slowly build up the wattage. It’ll be easier on your throat and lungs than inhaling cigarette smoke.

4 Likes

Thank you, this makes sense

3 Likes

One thing you have to remember though (if you’re not going by a shop and get an explanation), you always need to prime (properly drench) your coils with e-liquid when you put in a new coil.
If you get a dry hit (when the coil heats up and there’s no liquid to cool it), you’ll get cotton “vapor” and that is harsh as shit. You definitely don’t want that experience :smiley:
Compare it to lighting a cigarette the wrong way around (lighting the filter).

4 Likes

I am terrified of that happening haha, I’ve read about it and it sounds awful

3 Likes

Perhaps, there are many that start with a MTL system, and then later upgrade to a DTL. I also wouldn’t worry about causing damage to your body, regardless of what system you choose vaping is many times less harmful than smoking.

What I however would worry about, is that if you chose the wrong kind of system, then it might be more difficult to make the transition from smoking to vaping, and you might fail at stopping smoking.

5 Likes

That’s a good point. My boyfriend has a Joyetech eGo AIO (he’s not really into vaping, I personally believe he’s just mesmerized with the descriptions of all the e liquids since he loves anything he can eat haha) and I have tried it. Needless to say, it didn’t satisfy me at all. Not sure if it’s because of the eGo or not though. The liquid he had in there was 3mg nicotine, which he got for me specially, he obviously doesn’t use any nicotine (not the nicotine salt people talk about). After vaping with the eGo, I found myself craving a cigarette even more than I would usually

1 Like

If you get a DTL atomizer and it is too much, you can either

• turn down the AFC (air flow control) if it has one,
  • or put some tape(rubber band? finger?) over the air flow holes to limit the amount of air going through the atty (atomizer) - to give you a more MTL vape.

When I got my first Goon it was way too much air for the build / mod I had. Had to restrict the air a lot. Now I’m used to more air flow (and I have a better mod!).

Good Luck !

7 Likes

@MandiPeanut
I just received a brand new Eleaf Pico S kit in the mail today…

If you’re not opposed to giving me your information, I’d be happy to send it to you!
If nothing else, you can buy an MTL tank for it!
(It comes with a DL tank though)

You will need a battery though (18650, 21700, though it’s been reported to work with 20700 as well)

7 Likes

I just looked up that one, and it’s one of those that can used as an MTL or DTL sub-ohm device, depending what coil you have in it, and what syle of cap you have on it.

In any case, 3mg is nowhere near enough to replace a heavy smoking habit.

I dunno about south African cigs, but a standard cig here in Britain is around 0.9 mg. The tank on that thing holds 2ml max , so irrespective of vaping style, you would have to vape a whole tankfull at 3mg (that’s 3mg/ml) to get the equivqant of 6-7 cigs . Oh! but that’s supposing your body absorbs all the nicotine, which It won;t , so we’re really talking something like 2-3 cigs per tank.

I don’t supposed you chuffed your way through a whole tankful? No wonder you were tatalised rather than satisfied.

Like i said before, you really need about 50mg nicotine to start with if your using an MTL device. , because you’ll struggle to vape more than 2ml per day. I don’t know if you can get hold of that kind of strength?

with DTL devices you can go lower because you’ll chuff your way through a lot more juice, but still 3mg is way too low to satisfy a heavy smoker, as I hope is obvious

2 Likes

I really don’t think this is good advice to a new mixer.
The only real way to find a satisfying nic level is start relatively low and move it up if you feel you need more. Aside from the fact that if you vape anything close to 50mg freebase nic it will not be a very pleasant experience. Sure in an mtl device increase the nic for more satisfaction but recommending 50mg as a start point is just bad advice imho.

10 Likes

It’s not only bad advice to a new mixer, but bad for someone new to vaping.

Quite right.

Salts may be the latest rage/fad, but someone who’s just considering quitting needs sound, and safe advice.

When veteran mixers are still sorting out how/when salts should be used, and at what amounts…

9 Likes

Lots of good advise said already… so i’ll Just offer a few words of encouragement.

Befor I switched I averaged 5-6 packs of cigs a day. Thx to a vuse rep I learned about vape products… they actually worked but were more costly since I needed more nic than the average smoker… when I came back home to Georgia. I saw vape stuff everywhere… so I tried Njoy still same problem not enough nic… then I started asking questions from local vape shops…with a little trial and error. I ended up dripping 24nic for a few months. Then over time I’ve dropped my nic level .

I’m currently @ 3 nic .

Depending on the mod you get . I’d probably recomend starting around 6mg of nic… if you still feel the need for a cig after vaping then up the nic level a little until you don’t want cig… and over time you can lower your nic back down…

For me when my batteries last 48hrs it’s time to drop my nic . Because I’m not vaping

7 Likes

I am definitely not opposed to giving my information (I can take care of myself after all hehe) but, in case you haven’t notices me mentioning it :smile: I live in south africa, on a farm. I get my packages via the post office at a po.box or a business in the nearest town to me :frowning_face: this is a problem for most people

But thank you so very much for the offer, it’s not often that I come across good people (you other guys reading are great too btw, even if none of you offered to get me device :wink:)

6 Likes

Alright, thank you for taking the time to check it out :smiley: I will increase the nicotine strength

4 Likes

Ahhh yes. Sorry, I bounce around a lot reading from one thing/place to another, and that “small” detail was forgotten (yes, even in that short of time sad to say)… /embarrassed

:beers:

5 Likes