Smoker wanting to convert to vaping, need to choose a device

I work in electronics, I am an optimist.
Your worst case computations are probably a better idea though.

With a full battery around 4.2 no load and 23.8 mOhm internal resistance on LG2, a 10A discharge brings you very close to my 40W though :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what about the voltage drop when you fire?

1 Like

Internal resistance should account for this. In practice you probably have more complex effects linked with cell chemistry.
10Ax23.8mOhm=238mV ( loss of voltage to internal resistance)
4.2-0.238 make it 4V for the sake of argument
4Vx10A is 40W, or 39.62 without rounding.

2 Likes

I have had the vapresso revenger for 6 months now, it is my go to mod
i did change the tank with the troll RTA
gets better flavor
not a fan of smok
they have quality issues and their coils are hit and miss from what i have seen

2 Likes

I tell all of my friends that if you’re serious about quitting smoking you really need to start out with a smaller wattage device. Something where you can vape a higher mg of nicotine. Start out at 24mg and if that’s to much and makes you sick go to 18mg.

1 Like

If you start out with a higher wattage device and bigger tank you will probably have to vape a 6mg juice and with that you want be satisfied. There is 18mg of nicotine in one cigarette so you will have to go back and forth for satisfaction. Please keep that in mind.

No, there is 18mg of nicotine in a pack of 20 cigarettes which is perhaps what you meant to say?
So, one ml of 18mg juice is supposed to be equivalent, according to many sources. But it isn’t because you only absorb a fraction of that 18mg. (about a third according to resesarch with MTL devices around 2013- 2014 (Dr Farsalinos) Quite possibly more than that in modern DL devices.

1 Like
1 Like

Here’s the thing @jay210 and @Kevinkenworth1. There are sources out there that say stronger cigarettes have over 20mg each, there are sources out there claiming some light cigarettes have like half of a mg or less. Who’s right? Who knows. But does it actually matter? I’ll answer that: no. Different people smoke differently, smoke different kinds of cigarettes, and therefore are going to have absorption rates all over the board. Pile on top of that all of the many different ways to vape, and in my opinion it seems pretty pointless to try and tell @MandiPeanut what she will need to satisfy her cravings. So rather than argue about it, let’s get to the bottom line. Nobody can possibly know what nicotine level is going to work until they try it themselves. The best thing to do is to experiment and see what works because EVERYONE is going to be different. Some people get off of cigarettes with 3mg ejuice, some need 50mg. There’s no wrong way to do this if it works.
/End rant

8 Likes

Tthat’s right, It used to say so on the packet,and there is such a thing as Trades Description Act in my country so I doubt they could get away with misrepresenting it. Some were as low as 0.1 g and tasted like air, I tried giving up using those! (that’s what they were marketed for, and I very much doubt they are sold in Europe, now that they can’t market themselves to the quitters they’re aiming at …only disappoint the rest!) ), But 0.9 mg (give or take 0.1 mg) was pretty standard , unless, like you say, it was a “light” cigarette.

It’s hard to tell nowadays, because the law now prevents them from stating the nicotine content on the packet! But if a cigarette that had 20 times the normal stength (like you say) was ever on offer, I’m sure I’d have heard of it. Poor smokers who just wanted their fix as cheaply as poss would have snapped them up and told all their friends!

well anyway, as I said before, the main danger here, IMO was that Mandi (or any other heavy smoker who might happen to read this thread) ) wiould feel that she’s failed when she finds she’s struggling to replace her nicotine habit, and be discouraged. But forewarned is forearmed And f it turns out that it isn;'t a struggle, after all, that’s a pleasant surprise! I don’t think anybody’s saying she has to find it difficult,

But , this" 20mg per cig" introduces another danger, doesn’t it? that of massively overdosing! I shudder to think what the outcome wokld be if a heavy smoker did their math on that basis, when calculating what mg juice they might need, and how much? Maybe I’m wrong, but I 'm guessing that most of us do try to work out how our nic intake from vaping compares with smoking. That’s why I felt I had better be correct it fast!

Normally I wouldn’t worry about overdose from vping, no more than overdose from cigs, but if you set the bar that high, then people might do really daft things to reach it.

1 Like

No that is completely wrong!
The average content of nicotine in cigarettes is about 12mg per cigarette, and the max allowed in the EU is 20mg!

What might be confusing you is that we only absorb a relative small amount of the nicotine, on average about 1mg of nicotine per cigarette or about 20mg for a pack. Which is roughly the number you used, but that is the absorbed amount and not the raw content.

1ml of 18mg e-juice is actually the exact equivalent of 1 single normal strength cigarette, if we only look at the raw nicotine content. If we look at the absorption rate instead, then it is the equivalent of many more but the exact number is unknown.

1 Like

I’m aware that the number I quoted is the amount absorbed by the smoker. But that’s tjhe figure that’s usually quoted, left right and centre. And it’s the only relevant figure, if you’re going onto nicotine replacement therapy of course.

Interstingly, Nicotine patches and the like, also quote the amount absorbed, not the amount that’s in there. If you read the fine print on a “20 mg” nicotine patch, you’ll find it actually contains something like 50 mg. But that 20 mg tells you that it’s approxinately equal to a pack of cigarettes, which is what the quitter really needs to know,

Vaping is unique in quoting the raw nicotine content, not the nicotine absorbed

I’ve often wondered what the actual nicotine content of a cigrette was. Assuming your figures are correct, I’m stunned by how inefficient smoking is! But that’s all the more reason to stick with quoting the nicotine absorbed isn’t it? Vaping, as a nicotine delivery system, is clearly a damned sight more efficient than smoking!

I’

An average tobacco rod contains 10–14 mg of nicotine (Kozlowski et al. 1998), and on average about 1–1.5 mg of nicotine is absorbed systemically during smoking (Benowitz and Jacob 1984).

There is a Nic Level tab in my spreadsheets it has my research and a calculator to help you decide how strong to make your e-liquid.

2 Likes

Hmm so, @IzNoGoat is saying you absorb about a 20th of the nic in the cig, and these other figures say it’s more like one tenth.

Well, I dunno. But at least all these figures are of a similar order of magnitude, which is reassuring!

2 Likes

Vaping is more efficient, and no tar or other chemicals. Except than what is in e-liquid, nicotine and the flavors.

2 Likes

Well… You didn’t state anywhere that you where talking about the absorbed nicotine and not the raw number, and you did correct @Kevinkenworth1 despite that he actually did post the correct number.

But lets just put that down to misunderstandings between raw and absorbed amount.

Is it better to use the absorbed amount? Not necessarily imo, or at least not solely.
First of all the absorption rate varies greatly, both from person to person and between different styles of smoking and vaping, whereas the actual content is a constant that is very easy to compare.

Also, despite being best or not, the nic content of e-juice is stated in the raw content, so you can’t compare it to the absorbed content of smoke without greatly skewing the numbers.

No I used the same numbers, 12mg average per cigarette, 1mg absorbed on average. (didn’t know about 1-1.5mg absorbed, the number normally quoted everywhere is 1mg).

I did my own “experiment” where I smoked 2 light generic cigarettes, and found it comparable to taking a few puffs of 9mg e-liquid.

1 Like

that’s because his wording, to my mind, implied that he meant the absorbed amount

because the nicotine that you don’t absorb from the cig (which is most of it whichever way you cut it) has no impact at all on your satisfaction does it? so why mention it in this context?

probably a misunderstanding like you say. but such an easiy and natural misunderstanding, i think it’s best that we clarified it (eventually :laughing:)

if an 80-a-day smoker tried translating that to vape terms, they might be looking to chuff though 1600 mg (X 3 to allow for inefficiency ) per day . Scary, huh?

PS oops, I based that on the 20mg figure… not that it makes a lot of difference

1 Like

I like nicotine buzz but that might be a bit too much headrush.
Back to the OP

IMO the baby beast has better coils than the X-Baby tank. Look for the tanks than have the same coil that fits in the baby beast for best results.
(hint Joyetech ProCore)

1 Like

hold yer horses! @CosmicTruth I haven’t finished quarellling with Iznogoat

True. And very unofortunate, because that;'s exactly what the EU commission did when coming up with the bastard TPD.
On the other hand comparing raw nic content between these two very different delivery systems is pretty damned meaningless. Clear case of apples v oranges.
Absorbed quantities can only be average at best, in both cases, due to too many variables, but, unfortunately , it’s the best we can do towards making a genuine, meaningful comparison. Not so much apples v oranges but apples v unripe pears :slight_smile:

Anyways, I think we’re mostly agreeing. Good discussion :slight_smile:

2 Likes