Snap, crackle and pop - noisy atty question

1 Like

4 Likes

Oh, she mad!

3 Likes

Cool pic!

I’ve just put a couple of 26g ss 7 wraps in my angry atty and its a completely different animal, very quiet and smooth at 50w and flavor is very nice. Turns out that It was what I was doing to it,the merlin is not to blame :smile:

3 Likes

In my experience they pop even harder than fused claptons. Hence it’s my least favorite wire. YMMV.

2 Likes

I tried a couple but I don’t like them either. They’re serious flavor killers.

2 Likes

Snap, Crackle and pop… Too much power (Not really a bad thing), it causes the liquid to somewhat explode under the heat, think, hot knife dunked in water, same reaction…

3 Likes

To me that makes a lot of sense, but I’m always amazed when I watch videos from Vaping Bogan or DJLSB… they make pretty similar coils to what I do and they vape at 100W without popping.
Does that mean they have so much more airflow to cool the coils?

3 Likes

Maybe, maybe their mods aren’t firing as quick, maybe you just can’t hear the pops because they deep draw, really quick.

I have noticed that it calms down if your wick is tight and wicking really well, the wetter the cotton the longer it takes for that to happen because the coil cannot heat up as fast.

Also, how long are you holding the button? I always hold mine then release 1 second before I’m done drawing in, you might need to readjust airflow for that method though.

I believe they fresh wick also, the older the cotton the more chance of the “snap, crackle, pop” as the cotton deteriorates to a pulpy mess.

5 Likes

It’s really rough for me relate. There are so many factors. I have had maybe two atties that gave me fits over spitting. One was the Leache with the optional RBA deck and the other was an RDA and I can’t even remember which one. Both had tiny vapor chambers and were wide open to the drip tip. Maybe I wick different. Maybe I don’t vape with as much power. I usually use SS 2x(26/28/30)+(36/40) parallel, and maybe that has something to do with it. On MTL devices I use kanthal simple round wire and even those builds will “sizzle” pretty good after a second or so. I also use TC with all my DL RTA’s.

3 Likes

I strongly agree with all of the above. And I also believe that the overall size of the chamber, and amount of airflow in relation to size of chamber, and whether or not it’s running a single coil, or duals (or more)… All works hand in hand, and affects the required power that’s appropriate to achieve a specific preference.

I think that the only ones of the ultra few things that remains constant among these are:

• desired level of heat
  • whether you prefer one coil, or two (etc)
  • preferred length of draw time
  • making sure to get as much cotton as possible in the coil without going past the point of getting dry hits (from being “choked out”).

EG: since I use the exact same coil size (2.85mm), I’ve learned the sweet spot of how much cotton to use for that diameter of coil.
It doesn’t matter what I’m going to put it into, the coil, and the amount of required cotton to feed it adequately will not change.
I may have to adjust power up or down a bit, depending on the mod, or the atty (thanks to the change in available air, and the particular pathing of the air inside the chamber), but the coil and cotton don’t change, while attempting to reach the desired temp/experience IME.

In short, the airflow pattern (atty) has a much larger effect, and the power helps adjust/fine tune/offset when you can’t manipulate the airflow past it’s set point (by design limitation). Within reasonable limits of course.

Hopefully folks get what I’m trying to say here.

6 Likes

well said and good point in mentioning airflow since not all atty designs allow u to stick the same coil in diff ones

4 Likes