Sneek peak at private recipe. Did I screw up?

This the recipe belongs to Ckemist.
What I did was since I didn’t have Sucro. So I thought since I do have EM (PG) that I would just replace one with the other. 2 days was tasting great. (I’m making this recipe as a congratulations to my son for quitting smoking) first of all I now realize that EM, Sweetners etc…are pretty much after you mix and after a steep. To be used if sweetness is needed. Well EM (realized after mixed) is also used to round off any sharp edges and add a bit of sweetness. So this morning I decided to see how the creams were coming along etc…And then all I tasted was a Mish mash of nothing(Muted). I used EM (TPA) @ 1%. Also dropped the vanilla swirl. With that being said, what are the chances after a few days that the muted flavors will come back ? Or should I just right it off and dump the recipe ? I plan on remixing the Recipe anyway.(Lesson Learned) Minus any sweetners till it’s totally steeped and ready to go.

3 Likes

At least strawberry ripe already have em in it, i think. And personally, i use em just to round up the rough edges, not as sweetener. I know this might not really help you. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

It’s all good the more questions I ask the more I learn along with lots of reading,SF testing etc… Just not to the point to were I’m ready to make my own recipes. Eventually I will though, thru trial & error and appreciate all accurate advice.

4 Likes

Sucralose is a great sweetener …tastewise, but it wrecks coils and wicks faster than normal. I might guess your son is using something with pre-made coils. With Sucralose he will likely be using up those coils more quickly, which can get expensive …and be against the “saving money too” aspect of vaping.

Before you add some Sweetener (TPA) to your shopping cart, look at some of the alternatives. I bought mine off the shelf at the grocery store, but it’s a little more difficult than that …much to know about buying the right Stevia (in my case) which is suitable for vaping (No ingredients but Organic Stevia and VG in my case). Not sure what Vendors you have access to (location?) for Vaping supplies, but there is much info to be found on ELR regarding alternatives, and you may be able to buy online where you live …or just at the store!

Here’s a thread with links to one of the latest sweeteners and inline links to other sweeteners below the OP in the thread itself.

4 Likes

Awesome !! Ty
Actually he’s been buying pre wrapped coils and watching videos on building coils. He realized that it’s also less expensive to build simple coils to start. Kinda sucks he’s in Tennessee with my grandson and we’re here (Florida) but they’ll be visiting beginning of May.
Being in Florida and fairly close to Wizard Labs ( 1 1/2 hr. Drive)
I used Bull City for the first time a week or 2 ago & again the other day. I did order TPA Sweetner. Said on description on bull city website (Sugar Free) but contains Sucralose. Personally I’m :100:% for a natural/organic sweetner, personally(I’m type 2 Diabetic) for my personal preference if I need sweetner, I’ll definitely need something organic . If I have to use any. What about local health food store ? Naturally stevia with a VG base and nothing else ? Just thinking kind of outside the box a bit. vs buying from a vendor

1 Like

Sounds like this may be a good subject for tonight’s “Friday Night Vapes”

1 Like

Not only will sucralose gunk up your coils and wicks, it’s not the healthiest ingredient either.
By the way, (correct me if I’m wrong but I believe) TPA Sweetener is half EM and half sucralose. Cotton candy I believe is more EM without the sucralose (but you should check the safety pages to be sure).

4 Likes

What I’ve found so far only under Flavor Notes. I’ve gotta dig deeper.

1 Like

Off of the top of my head, after I used (TPA) EM did I realize that it’s mostly Ethyl Malto with little sweetner

1 Like
1 Like

You can find the Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) document for most flavors on the flavor page on ELR.

1 Like

https://www.nowfoods.com/natural-foods/betterstevia-liquid-glycerite

This is what I use …found in Grocery Store next to Protein Powders and Smoothie flavor adds in the Health Food Section. Requires no refrigeration and 1-3 drops per 10ml makes it last a loong time (2 oz) Since it’s just Stevia and VG it is designed to add to food and beverages, and I assume OK to Vape.

1 Like

Been trying to find the MSDS sheets of course to no avail. Thanks, your awesome !!

2 Likes

Sometimes you probably need to google a bit as well… 3-Hydroxy-2-methyl-4-pyrone for example, is just a fancy name for Maltol (which is still a bit different from Ethyl Maltol but has a bit similar properties)

1 Like

This really caught my eye too
Exposure Controls/Personal Protection
CAS # Partial Chemical Name OSHA TWA ACGIH TWA Other Limits
57-55-6 Propylene glycol No data. No data. No data.
118-71-8 3-Hydroxy-2-methyl-4-pyrone No data. No data. No data.
7732-18-5 Water No data. No data. No data.
56038-13-2 Sucralose No data. No data. No data.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA’s 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2
requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace
conditions warrant respirator use.
Respiratory Equipment
(Specify Type):
Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by
OSHA’s eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard
EN166.
Eye Protection:
Protective Gloves: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure.
Other Protective Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Facilities storing or utilizing this material should be equipped with an eyewash facility and
a safety shower. Use adequate ventilation to keep airborne concentrations low.
Engineering Controls
(Ventilation etc.):
Licensed to Perfumers Apprentice

1 Like

Just read that too, wow !! I’m almost scared to use it for my son. So there’s gotta be a organic blend. I’ve seen some posts here on organic etc… I really do appreciate you all, for helping me & possibly others that don’t know. “The Good,The Bad & The Ugly” of artificial sweeteners. I’ve got some good questions for tonight when I get home. Around 11pm EST USA Time.
“Friday Night Vapes”
Stop by if possible, I’m wanting to do a in depth on sweetners vs. Flavors( that could possibly be used safely for added sweetness only.

1 Like

Great read !! I really appreciate the time and researching. Very much !!

1 Like

@whosyourdaddy

Menthol could be anyone of these;

Menthol
2-Isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexan-1-ol
2-Isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexanol
3-p-Menthanol
Hexahydrothymol
Menthomenthol
Peppermint camphor

Any one of these names wouldn’t be more or less accurate than the others.

Pretty much all things in the world, especially chemicals, have a normal day-to-day name like menthol and then they also have they’re latin and scientific names.

1 Like

I have used this sweetener a lot. I find that once I go over around 0.5% it tends to have a kind of funky bitter aftertaste though. If I need more sweetness I prefer to mix it with other sweeteners at lower percentages. Since I picked up the new sugardaddy sweetener its all I use now for sweetener. Rick found the sweet spot to mix different sweeteners successfully, and there are vanilla and cinnamon sugardaddy sweeteners as well.

2 Likes