So, should we remove rates that have no comments?

I kind of like this idea, but I wonder how it could be accomplished. Here’s a couple of ideas:

Nomination thread, every seconded nomination gets entered into the ROTM contest. Then from there it could be implemented in couple of different ways: 1) a poll thread where everyone on the forum votes or 2) a panel of 3-5 volunteer judges who mix up all the nominated recipes and give them a try or 3) a combination of 1 and 2. The nominated recipes get put into a poll and then a panel of 3-5 volunteer judges mix up the top 3-5 recipes from the poll and decide which recipe gets ROTM.

There are a couple of problems with a ROTM though. They can be overcome, but they should be noted.
Steeping - Some recipes need a long steep before you can really judge them.
Not everyone will have all the flavors required to mix every nominated or finalists recipe.
I’d think you’d want to have different judges each month to minimize any bias (whether it be your friend got nominated or so not only one type of flavor profile gets nominated every month–another idea would be to have themes each month. Like one month is Tobacco themed and only tobacco recipes get nominated and three tobacco enthusiasts volunteer to be judges, do the same for next month but instead of tobaccos it’s a cream themed ROTM, candy, bakeries, fruits, florals, etc).

For these reasons you’d almost have to have a lag time. June’s ROTM finalists would almost have to be chosen in August to give the judges time to acquire the flavors needed and steep for the necessary amount of time.

1 Like

I was aware of that, what I was suggesting was slightly different to this function and a possible way of promoting a few recipes that would otherwise go missing, due to having none or very few votes.

1 Like

As an afterthought (and sorry if this has been mentioned) this will not only help mitigate the downgrading schmucks, but since we get email notification when a comment is left on a recipe, and comments are required to rate, everyone who checks email often will be kept up to date when ratings occur. I don’t know…has there always been a way to be notified when a recipe was rated? Probably, which makes my revelation less of an epiphany, and more evidence that I’m not the sharpest knife in the chandelier. :laughing:

3 Likes

Actually, you are correct. There was no notification of ratings - but there is now, because of the comment :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Since we had the new comment rating system going for a little while now is there a downward trend on the number of comments given now or is that hard to see?

I am just curious if there have been any changes at all.

2 Likes

I voted for yes and even after reading everyone’s opinions I still stand by that vote.

@daath you know probably belter than anyone how this topic has been an issue that just keeps coming up time after time. I voiced my opinion on this a long time ago and I have always thought that the rating system should require a comment or the star vote should not be available.

I am well aware that removing all votes without a comment will cause a uproar if implemented but I think like all other bumps in the road that have come up it will soon pass and ELR will be a better place for it.

I believe if the no comment votes are removed now, in time the rating system will reflect a much more accurate picture of the best recipes on ELR. I truly believe this will help the new mixers coming to ELR that need a few good recipes to get started on that are good vapes to use while they are trying to become good mixers. I know a better rating system would have helped me out a lot in the beginning. I wasted a lot of money in the beginning making supposed 5 Star rated juice that was horrible.

I know I am late too this thread but time to post has been very limited recently. I see by the vote alone that the yes remove them seems to be they most popular choice.

2 Likes

I’m with @Ken_O_Where on this one. Although I think it’s imperative to leave a comment, before rating, I also have given honest ratings without commenting (on some). Even though I am a victim of the grand “downgrading schmucks”, I have also received a fair share of honest ratings, without comments. I think it should be from this point forward, as I do see it being a negative ripple effect on the “true” ratings people have given. I believe there are more honest ratings here, than schmucks, as annoying as they can be.

At this point, I don’t use the site anymore based on ratings, my own or others, and strictly use it for the simplicity of creating personal recipes. I can take it or leave it.

@daath, is there a way to remove the rating system as it is now and integrate it into the actual comments? Meaning, when you leave a comment on someone’s mix, there is also a rating in the comment box that user can add to his initial comment. Then all the comments/ratings are tallied into the rating for that mix. Does that make any sense? Of course you would have to find a way to lock in that rating to the user, for the recipe, so that option doesn’t have to be selected each and every time they leave another comment on that recipe.

I’m sick as hell, so I’m probably not making any sense and being an idiot here, but it makes sense in my head :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

It should remain an option though and not disappear after the first comment.
What if I want to change my previous rating up or down? It might steep from a 1 star to a 5 star or the other way around. :thinking:

See, you are making sense I understood what you meant :wink:
It might just be way too complicated though.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a good point and something I thought about after my post. Glad to know you were pickin up what I was layin down! :slight_smile:

I figured it would be complicated, code wise, but at least it should keep (most) people honest and more visible. As for the code, I have no idea how that would all work, hehe

2 Likes