Spicy Mango or Pineapple Chutney

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with recipes like this, basically a mix of fruity flavors combined with regular kitchen spices like onions, ginger, salt, peppers, curry, …
I absolutely love spicy food, but I always thought that spicy and lungs don’t really mix well until I saw this

A real chutney has a lot more going on than this simple recipe though.
Here’s the ingredients list for the actual food:

2 Onions
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup or 200 g brown sugar
1 medium-sized fresh peeled and chopped pineapple, or 600 g.
If making mango chutney, same weight or 5-6 mangoes peeled, stoned and chopped roughly
2 chillies red
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup or 250 ml white wine vinegar
2 litres/quarts water

3 Likes

Interesting. Well sometimes juices can taste a lot more complex than the ingreadient list suggests, so I’d try using OSV as a starting point, see how it vapes and consider adding extra ingredients.

BTW, It seems it doesn’t appear in these recipes, but I recall that OSV did add saline to their juices (perhaps as an optional extra?) so that’s one thing you can add without “corrupting” the original OSV recipe.

You’ll have to do without the veg oil , ofc.

I wonder if it’s OK to add actual white wine vinegar? Some people have been using Apple Cider Vinegar in their juices havn’t they?

I’ve seen ginger on offer from a few (vaping) flavour houses, so it must be OK to vape it, I guess. Ditto for pepper.

Pinapple might also serve to add a bit of an onion note (I’ll swear it naurtally tastes a bit too similar onions) Dunno about you , but I somehow don’t much fancy vaping onion, even if available.

Nope , I’m not gonna try this myself. In recent years , I’ve found that certain spices bring me out in apthus ulcers . Ginger, sadly, is one of them . I still eat it on occasion, because I love it, and it seems safe enough in moderation, but I’ve already tried vaping it , years ago. and it really wasn’t worth the sore mouth. :frowning:

Well, that’s my excuse for chickening out. But it’s a good one isn’t it? And it’s actually true!

I look forward to reading how this goes!

4 Likes

What exactly is this stuff? Is it something you can buy or have to make it yourself… and if so, how and what peppers are used (black pepper, chillies, cayenne, jalapeño, habanero, …)?

I have zero experience with this, I’m wondering myself…

I think I saw this once on Zamplebox’s worst flavors to vape series… and I’m pretty sure you can add the curry on it as well :smiley:
I’m still eager to give these things a try. In a single flavor it might be bad but combined in a mix it may bring out something good… who knows. These are just additives though, not the top note of the recipe, which remains the mango or pineapple.

3 Likes

You can throw all kinds of things in your juice or/and extract things yourself. However some people might forget that not everyone can extract everything and its safe later on.

However some regular things like making a saline solution, using distilled vinegar (white and apple cider) as well as lemon juice or stevia/sweetener and saline solutions are mostly not harmful. I do use these sometimes too if I ran out of the actual additive or sterile version.

It does get tricky with things such as coffee, tobacco, tea, spices, alcohol if you have no idea what you doing or/and not the have the right equipment.

Some companies sell spices and others while they selling it, will tell you not to vape it. Aka lorann. As well as there’s companies that sell spices or spice equivalent or any flavor that makes you believe you vaping a spice, but are save to vape.

It’s definatly possible of making that recipe, but I would stick with flavors save for vaping and not randomly trying to dilute your herb cabinet in VG or pg or even alcohol and oil lol.

Malic acid is not new either even that’s sold in solutions or crystals. Pick up TFA sour or any other manufacturer’s sour and there you go. Its malic acid just in a lower concentration or at least sterile :wink:

5 Likes

I think that has sugar which many are trying to avoid …but is still in some common vape flavs (Yellow Cake etc. there’s a list)

4 Likes

Yeah OSV always had some primo extractions making recipes impossible to clone. They use the phrase “heirloom peppers” which usually refers to Habanero family …but there are other less fiery members. @eStorm has it right, it’s just too risky making extractions of random foodstuffs without a lab to validate the results (although it never stopped me from trying). Great topic though! Spicey Mango Chutney …I bet that was great stuff (OSV original)!

5 Likes

Yeah I would really love it if some people people could pitch in with ideas. So many people here vape fruit mixes, fruits and creams, fruits and bakery, fruits with tobaccos, fruits with mints… but there’s so much more that can be done with them.

Forget about the peppers for a second and there are still lots of regular kitchen spices like coriander/cilantro, cloves, garlic, thyme, basil and so on can be used with fruits in a very nice way but nobody seems to experiment with them and it’s so hard to find any flavor notes for them.

3 Likes

Yeah I agree, there are some excellent spice flavours that work wonders with fruits, don’t get why there aren’t more people experimenting with them.

3 Likes

just a teeny little quibble here: we Brits would call most of those (the leafy ones) “herbs” not spices. I suspect it’s only those weirdo Americans call them “spices” . Please don’t copy 'em!

The distinctiion is actually important. E.g. if you have, say, gallstones, you might that spicy foods make you horribly ill, and you have to give them up :frowning: But herbs are fine :smile: as I can vouch from experience.

2 Likes

Some folks lump them in together. Most of us know the difference, though.

1 Like

Yeah I know the difference but I get lazy and stupid when it concerns kitchen ingredients… the only thing I know how to do well is make a good cup of coffee. I even mess up boiling an egg or making instant soup.

3 Likes