Stainless Steel Coil Method

Thanks @woftam, I’ll give that a go. Just to make it more interesting they sent it in this humongous spool that barely fits the jig. Then I’m using a magnifying glass to thread it. Sorry, I’m taking the liberty to vent. You are right though, I need to do something with the 250’ of it. It makes very nice looking chunks.

1 Like

Got me beat by a long shot. Stuff is finer than frog hair.

2 Likes

@mikelej14 EXACTLY. Same sweet spot for me.

1 Like

I made about 4 inches of usable clapton then it went to hell and never tried to wind my own clapton I buy premade clapton SS 316 wire

I use this method but I attach the loose ends to a swivel so it doesn’t flop around and make about a foot at a time. Works flawlessly!

5 Likes

what size wires should I use?

1 Like

I like 24 or 26 core with 32 or 36 wrap, but everybody has their own preferences.

2 Likes

@Lostmarbles is totally right about preferences I am currently loving either .5 or .8 ribbon (4 or 6 core depending on which) wrapped in 40. The smaller the wrap I find the less it cooks the juice as it cools quicker. That said start with 32 and build up to the smaller wire it can be very hard to work with…

Here are a couple of lengths i made the other day

top is 6x .5 ribbon wrapped in 40 ss316l
bottom is 4 x .8 ribbon wrapped in 40 ss316l

4 Likes

I ordered some of the “Beadalongs” going to give it try
Thanks

4 Likes

no problem. should work for you with little effort on your part. If it doesn’t spin easily, try putting a couple of screws or nails under the elastic and across the spool where the wire comes out of the beadalon on either side of the wire. This will release some of the tension. You might only have to do that with the higher gauge wires. BTW, I get my SS wire from this guy. Been buying from him awhile. Good prices, good wire and fast shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36AWG-1000ft-316L-STAINLESS-STEEL-WIRE-HIGH-QUALITY-SURGICAL-SS-WIRE/272420119837?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

2 Likes

1000 feet ?wow awesome! I only have 24 g 316 ss and 32g Kanthal but I
also have 24 g Kanthal I need to buy the 36 g ss thanks again!

2 Likes

Do you know if I use 316 stainless core wire and wrap with kanthal
for fused clapton coils can I use TC? or just wattage ?

1 Like

you can but it may not be dead on accurate. I’ve used kanthal wrap on multi core 316L to boost the resistance up a bit and it works well enough.

2 Likes

Got it… I’ll probably just buy some 32 or 36g stainless after I use up the kanthal
You have been a great help thank you! ( I bought some swivels too)

2 Likes

Anytime. Just don’t ask me to help with anything beyond a basic clapton. Those always come out sloppy. Bad eyesight dontcha know…:eye::eye:

1 Like

Oh I do know when it comes to eye bad sight

1 Like

We just got ours today! So wonderful!! :blush:

2 Likes

I prefer high guage fused claptons. 28x3/38 or 30x3/40. They have a higher resitance so the perform better in Temp Control. They also have lower mass so the heat and cool faster.

4 Likes

3/38 3/40 ? don’t know what that means does that mean 3 strand core of 28 gage wrapped with 38 gage?

1 Like

let me know how they work I get mine tomorrow

2 Likes