Stainless Steel Coil Method

@Cutlass92 will be able to tell you better. I just observed a whole heck of a lot less cussing while he was building coils!

3 Likes

sounds promising

3 Likes

That is correct

3 Likes

Thanks David!:+1:

1 Like

Just for giggles I put the 3 30 40 thru steam enjin to see about what ohms it was at 2.5mm id 8 wraps, running 2 coils it would run about 0.18 or so, your welcome

3 Likes

Yes, 3 is the number of cores. So 28x3/38 is 3 28 guage cores wrapped with 38 guage Clapton.

2 Likes

I just ordered so 38 and 28 stainless

1 Like

I put some 28 / 38 on order Iā€™m going to run those numbers to see what I would get with 8 wraps Thanks David

2 Likes

Louie, do you keep the 3 core wires flat, twisted, or bunched up ?
Twisted and bunched I can do, flat is going to be work.
What is your usual build # of wraps, ID ? ohms ?

2 Likes

I keep the cores flat using a small paperclip. I place it about an inch away from the spot that Iā€™m wrapping. As it gets close I stop and slide it over. Make sure you are using really good bearing swivels. If they bind up at all youā€™ll have a big mess of wire on your hands.

My go to build is 3.5mm ID with 7 to 8 wraps. With a single coil itā€™s 0.33 to 0.37 ohms or dual coils at 0.16 to 0.18 ohms. This heats up and cools down pretty quick.

5 Likes

Thanks Louie, wasnā€™t sure if it was OK to run SS lower than 0.5 ohms in TC based on a chart someone posted around a year ago.

1 Like

I got my Beadalongs in today and made a pair of fused claptons for the first time. Are the wrap wires supposed to space out when winding them into coils ? The wrap wire spread out or did I mess up making the fused clapton wires?

3 Likes

No expert here, but yes the wrap wire will separate when winding and Iā€™ve found that a smaller gauge like 34 or 36 will minimize that. With that said, those look pretty good for a first try. Keep trying, youā€™ll get a feel for it soon enough. BTW, if you were using SS wire, it does get springy and will do exactly that. I will sometimes torch it briefly just after itā€™s been wrapped to keep it from trying to unwind while coiling.

1 Like

Hey Thanks for the reply, this actually is 24 and 32 g Kanthal I get my stainless tomorrow Iā€™m getting 28 and 38g Iā€™m vaping on those coils right now and work great the flavor is good!

4 Likes

The tighter the wrap is the less it will spread out. Those look good for your first try. Better than mine did.

2 Likes

Thanks Louie!
I just made ss 2- 24 g core /38g wrap came out so good and you are right the wraps are tighter!

3 Likes

Awesome! Glad I could help.

2 Likes

THIS IS THE BEST SPACING AND SIZE I HAVE USED YET! TC works really well with this bigger coil centered right over the air hole with no overhang.holds much more wick and never leaks too.

1 Like

Hi All,

So rather than starting a new thread, I thought I would just ask here.

I recently just purchased some SS wire from Kidney Puncher. This is the first time I have used SS, so not sure what to expect.

I normally use kanthal/nichrome, so when I received my SS, I proceeded to treat it the same as my other wires. First thing I did was torch it before building my first coil.

This is where I became confused. After torching the SS wire, and began to wrap, I noticed there was some ā€˜flakingā€™ on the wire itself. As I continued to wrap my coil, I noticed that my fingers were all black.

So I straightened the wire back out and upon closer inspection it looks like the shiny coating on the stainless steel peeled off?? Could this be correct? I had to clean the wire several times with alcohol after the torch, which cleaned it up, but it remained black, so I did not use it.

I wrapped a second coil without torching it, and it seems to work fine, but Iā€™m worried that if I get a dry hit, it will cause this flaking to the coil which I donā€™t think I want to vapeā€¦

If so, should we not torch stainless steel before wrapping?

Also, if this coating does does flake off, could this pose a danger??

I have found some ppl torch & some donā€™t, but I havenā€™t seen anyone post anything about flaking. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Is it just dirty wire?

Help! Iā€™m confused, lol!

1 Like

SS wire shouldnā€™t be dry burned or torched to the same temperature as Kanthal. Heating it to a dull red/orange should be fine, but white hot is not. Personally I dry burn it at about 15-20 watts depending on coil size.

It is normal that the wire will turn black or dark, but there shouldnā€™t be any flaking or staining when touching the coil.

3 Likes