Stainless Steel Coil Method

Do not vape the flaked wire. Start over with fresh wire.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replies. I did not vape the flaked wire. I didn’t trust it.

But, this still leaves the question:

Do you guys worry about this potentially happening during your vape?

1 Like

The coil will never get that hot while vaping. It’ll never glow at all while wicked and saturated. Glowing is extreme heat and used for cleaning and initial build for even heating alignment for duals.

I should say… you will never physically be able to allow your build to get that hot during actual vaping. You would get a dry hit roast so badly that you could literally not continue to vape long before you’d get remotely close to hot enough to flake SS.

2 Likes

OK, that makes sense. Kinda what I suspected, but that whole flaking thing kind of left me scratching my head lol.

Note to self: DO NOT TORCH STAINLESS STEEL

Thanks for clearing it up.

2 Likes

Torching ss is fine as long as you don’t go overboard - torch it to remove any spring that is in the wire but I just heat it to a slight cherry afterwards it looks like

bottom torched top not torched

6 Likes

hmmm,

see, this is why i was confused! So there’s no clear answer then?

so it is OK to torch it, but I apparently overdid it?

I’ll try it again when I make another coil & compare, but what is the general opinion?

Do you guys torch Stainless Steel before making your coils?

1 Like

@woftam is Australian. Torching may imply something other than what we think of here. I believe his point was that you can heat up SS pretty aggressively, glowing it to a dull cherry, but you want to avoid the blinding brightness and unlimited glow time like you can with A1.

2 Likes

I don’t torch my ss316l builds. I just do a quick wipe with a micro fiber cloth for my mental well being. Then wrap my coil and do a light dry fire. Advanced vape supply has some tutorial YouTube videos you could check out.

2 Likes

Lots of things down here have a different meaning (take fanny for a prime example lol) but torching I think is pretty much the same unless you don’t mean the use of a torch

4 Likes

Yes I understand it to mean torch with mod wattage, not an actual torch.

2 Likes

Ah ok well applying a butane torch to it first will remove any spring back when wrapping - getting it to a cherry in the mod is fine but don’t get is to super high temps.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that Kidney Puncher SS is supposedly pre-annealed to remove springiness. You shouldn’t have to torch it. It may be that doing it a second time is causing the flaking you are running into.

1 Like

Cool, I never thought of heating it prior to wrapping.

1 Like

lol OK good because when @TW12 mentioned you were Australian and it may mean something different, I was really confused & about to give away this spool of wire lmao

Well thanks for the clarification guys, will give it a shot in a few minutes & see how it goes.

1 Like

Yeah I made it worse, sorry. My own misunderstanding.

1 Like

Just make sure it cools before you wrap - me/ eh more than one burn not waiting long enough :grinning:

That is something I have no idea about but have never seen it on shots i have annealed, wrapped and then dry fired in the mod. I will look a bit closer with the magnifying glasses next coil I do.

1 Like

Really? That may also be it, but that just brings up more questions?!

So you can only torch certain stainless steel?

1 Like

Not saying you can only torch certain SS. Just saying try torching non Kidney Puncher SS to see if you have the same issue. I know several people that used the pre-annealed wire they sell complained of the brittleness when trying to use it as an outer wrap when making fused captions etc. My guess is you’re seeing something similar.

If it’s already been treated to remove springiness why are you feeling the need to have to do it again?

1 Like

well I didn’t know that it was annealed when i torched it lol. Looking at my spool now & it doesn’t say anything, but after a quick look on the website it does say on the description:

“we made sure to have the new KP 316L SS wire annealed to the same KPSI as Kanthal. After further testing this wire is right in between the same KPSI as KA1 and N80. This will allow you to create all those awesome builds you’ve made with KA1 and N80 without any issues of springy SS”

So I guess that answers that. Do not torch pre-annealed wire, it will flake.

Thanks again for the clarification everyone!

3 Likes

I learned another way to remove springiness in Stainless Steel wire… Cut a length of wire and put 1 end into a drill bit chuck, with a 90 degree bend of the wire in between the chuck prongs…With a pair of pliers grab the other end and pull the wire taught but not too tight…Hit the drill and twist the single strand…To determine the amount of time for the drill, I let go of the pliered end to see if the wire holds stiff…If not, I grab with pliers again and hit the drill…It takes a little bit of experimenting, and testing with coil winding, but once you get a feel for it, you will be able to become accurate fairly quickly, and you will get coils that wrap nicely (without springiness) and handle very predictably.

3 Likes