Stainless Steel Coil Method

The reason dealers don’t stock SS wire?
I think they stock what sells the most/what people buy more of. SS lasts a long time so people don’t buy it as often.

For the very best flavor, I like duel Clapton coils vertical in my Aromamizer 2.0 mm inside diameter. I make as many wraps as I can that will fit without causing a short- usually 7 wraps. I will put a thin layer of cotton or silica between the post and my coil to help eliminate shorts. I’ve never used software to pre-calculate final ohm output. I just try my best to make my ohms at least .3 or .4. If they come out .25 or higher, I use them. Flavor seems to be best at about .3 ohms. I always vape at about 22 watts in my Aromamizers. TFV4s require 40 watts minimally. On a coil like that, I would use a thicker wire, like 24 gauge.
For SS, I’ve had the most flavor doing spaced coils. I also use 28 gauge wire rather than 26 gauge in an effort to reduce ramp up time and to make my output .3 rather than .2 ohms which is safer. I just hope I’ll be okay if you use good batteries with sufficient amps bought from a reputable dealer, and if I take care of them keeping them in good condition. Discard batteries that are old, or have bad spots. Don’t take any chances and charge them only when you are present. I put the date of purchase on my batteries and discard them after 6 months. It all depends on how much you repeatedly use them. Recently I bought some clear battery wrap from Fasttech, and I put one layer of it on them to double wrapped my new batteries. They still fit fine in all of my mods… Evic, DNA200, Cloupor, Sigelei, Smok, UD Balrog.

I hope some of this helps add to your information base.

1 Like

@Joy …Thanks for your input…question…your spaced coils…what do you wrap them on?..some kind of bolt or screw?..if so, what size and thread count for the screw?..Someone here mentioned doing spaced SS coils using a screw, but I can’t find the thread to find out what size the screw that is used to do those spaced coils… Yeah I got an Aromamizer and another 2 on the way so will be playing with some builds and will certainly refer to your input…Are you making your own Claptons?..What gauge wire to wrap those?

That was I who wrap them on a screw. I have no idea on what size the screw is except that you want it a little larger than you’d think because the wire goes down into the thread crevices. I did a search through the screws we had around the house and found a couple that were just right. I guess they are called bolts because they don’t have a point on them and the threads are close together. You could also look at a hardware store.
I bought the Clapton wire. It says 32-26-16 on it and it is kanthal. Can’t tell you where I got it. Just choose something that will be small for the Aromamizers. There’s not much more room than 2.5 mm id in them using single strand wire. It is a perfect fit with the Claptons I mentioned. You can tilt them if you like. Sometimes that is easier. Don’t forget…on verticals, cut that top wick short so it doesn’t interfere with the vapor coming out to your driptip. It does no good at the top except get in the way. Yes, one wick end at the bottom is enough, just splay it out as much as you can and make it just touching good on the deck, but not doubling over or anything. Your wicking will be fine and you will have no leaking just as long as the small holes on the base of the Armomamizer are viable. Sometimes I poke them.

I have made some Claptons myself and I think you’d need some 30 to 32 g wire. It really only matters due to what will fit in your deck. I just think it’s not worth the time it takes to make them yourself, and I’m a jewelry maker with all of the tools you’d ever need for that sorta thing. For example, my cutters and pliers are Lindstrom that cost about $50 apiece. I have been thinking about trying to make my own Claptons using Titanium wire. Ps… I really like the new Notch Coils that just came out. They are SS. You can buy them separately, but I got mine in my Theorem tank. I absolutely love that tank. Except for the smaller capacity, it is even better flavor than an Aromamizer. Well… Different though. I can’t say I’d pick one over the other. You are doing the right thing by getting Aromamizers. And yes, I got one of the V2’s without the rubber vape band, and it is A+. We can talk more anytime or all day on that.

Also… After reading all the posts, I wanted to mention that I use a small tooth flossing brush to clean off my coils. I don’t dry burn them, I just brush them and run water on them. Only very occationally do I change only cotton. I usually replace cotton and coils together. I only change just the cotton on a new tank because the cotton gathers machine oil on a new tank. I keep extra decks for all of my tanks. Fasttech has the Velocity style decks for Armzrs for about $3 apiece. They are cheap. Also, I do use horizontal decks for them too. I like either… Velocity-style (vertical)- or horizontal decks.
Love talking with you.

Spaced coils? Wrap both strips of wire at the same time (self spacing) Of course the thickness of your wire will be the spacing of your coils, and you kinda have to unscrew them …sorta (easy!)

1 Like

That’s a good idea BoDarc. I’m going to try that.
I’m editing this post to be more specific. Wraping two wires together at the same time sounds like another method to make spaced coils.
To reply to the post below… No I do not heat up my wire in any way, except to make vapor.

One dumb dumb question here. I saw on the videos (1-2 people) using a blow torch to heat up the wire before wrapping. To help straight out the wire and to make it less “springy”. Is that required? Does everybody do that?

I printed your post here…was researching some other stuff and came across a post you were talking about the THEOREM RTA …and the AVOCADO RTA…you are a vape freak… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

So you got them both now…which one do you like for flavor best?..Buildability?..Ease of use and all that?..Can you share your experience with them…favorite and such…And of course i checked out VapeNW…and yeah they got em both…Saw someone write in a review about the difficulty of refilling the 3 ml version (not sure which one)…

I would definitely buy a Theorem rather than an Avocado.

I’m not sure if it’s the Notch Coil or the Theorem tank that makes it run so good. I can’t compare them because they are built differently at this time. I plan on making both built the same and then do a true comparison. I’d definitely buy another Theorem with the Notch Coils over an Avocado that comes with no coils and is priced much higher. I am going to buy some more Notch Coils. they are about 5 for $10, and that is a very reasonable. I think I like them better than any coils I’ve used or built in the past, and I’ve tried a lot. Like I said, I’m not sure if it’s the Theorem or the Notch Coils that is making the Theorem setup so good. It is easier to fill the Theorem right now, while it has a single-coil setup.

To fill the Avocado, you must remove air lock when you fill it. In other words, there must be a vent alongside one of the wicks when you stick your tip alongside another wick to inject ejuice. If not, the juice will not go down and it will stay up top and flood the coil. It’s not a problem, just the same way any tank like this would work. Since the Theorem is built with a single coil… when I remove the top, that automatically removes the ceramic block exposing a hole where juice can be injected. As a helpful tool, I put a tiny straw handy, and I insert it beside one of the wicks on the Avocado prior to filling. It’s just like opening a can of evaporated milk. You must put two holes in it. One to pour out of and another to let air escape.

1 Like

Personally I do not do anything to straighten the wire just wrap my coil just as it comes off the spool. I use a coil wrapping tool then pull the ends out and push it back against the tool and let go and it makes a perfectly spaced coil every time.

I use 24 and 26 gauge SS 316L spaced coils 3mm ID and I use that on both the Evic mini or RX200 with Lemo tanks and I have no issues with TC working at all.

4 Likes

I make my spaced coils the same way. Quick and easy.

2 Likes

This is a new one
https://youtu.be/6Yoxmer6hDs

2 Likes

I’d like to try this, but I gave away all my mesh when I stopped using Genesis style tanks! :confounded: < this face, not because I’m sad about the mesh…just remembering how much of a pain it was to wick a Genesis style aromizer with mesh!

3 Likes

Yeah it’s been a long time since I used my Genesis but I think I still might have a little mesh left somewhere :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good luck with it! Looks fairly easy to do. :grinning:

Now that I’m thinking about it, I still have a Genesis or two around the house. I might give them a try with a couple of contact coils and some rayon. It’ll basically be like the Avocado or others of that style. :thinking:

2 Likes

Interesting , thank you for the share.I still have some screen as well as a couple of Russian 91% tanks.I need to give this a shot for science!
@Kinnikinnick that also is a neat idea , please let me know how that works!

2 Likes

I’m thinking of getting one (or 2) of the Theorem to use as a testing tank (for flavorings) try as I have I just can’t get a good vape with a dripper… hey some people like drippers, some like tanks, I guess I’m just a tank person, totally content with that… My question if anyone wants to respond, how much of a hassle is that air flow disc setup? I have been thinking of just waiting to see if a version 2 comes out for that tank, but that (if it happens) could be months down the road, or not happen at all. 2mm l to me is a good size for testing flavors, since I feel it takes more than a couple of puffs to taste things, that and a 5-10ml testing batch could be used a couple times over a couple weeks when only using 2ml at a shot… so is it a hassle with the ring and needing to strip the tank all the way down to change out cotton and reset the air ring?

2 Likes

Ditto :wink:

10char

All I can say that is T minus 2 hours and I will be stalking my usps guy. Once he shows I will get all my building supplies, new rta, rda, and will build my first dual ss316 set of coils.

I so cannot wait to taste my mixes on a new system

3 Likes

You will not have problems with the air flow ring (s). You choose to use the single or duel coil one.
You can adjust the air flow while the tank is full of juice if you want since you can leave it loose if you choose.
Or, You can set it and forget it - if you tighten it down.
Later if you choose to loosen it or change it again, you can do it while the tank is full by just removing the top.
You also remove the top to add juice.
To change cotton, yes you would want to have the tank empty.

Good times! :smile:

4 Likes