Stainless Steel Coil Method

When you say that, what percent were you using that at with your base pg/vg? A 5% mix or so?

No, I mix at higher %s for Mouth to Lung vapingā€¦This one was 40/60 PG/VG at 15%ā€¦Steeped 2 weeks (no heat)ā€¦Flavor was Killer, and no harshnessā€¦That particular flavor seems to contain a good amount of volatiles, which, when I first started mixing with, gave me all sorts of problemsā€¦Frothing the mix and letting it sit overnite (cap off) does a lot to remove the harshnessā€¦With the twisted coil, as compared to a standard contact mini coil, the nuances really appeared and the flavor tasted more authentic than I had ever experienced it beforeā€¦along with the brightness of the fruit notesā€¦

Given the increased strength of the flavor with the twisted coil, I am imagining that I will be able to start playing with lower flavor %s in my mixing, but right now I am loving the bold flavor that this 15% is giving meā€¦as well as perhaps increasing the VG content, as I believe that this will also bring out a more ā€œairyā€ blossomed flavor experience, along with increased mouth vapor feelā€¦

As you can see, I am just now beginning to learn the nuances of mixing, and I believe that the discovery of, and evolution of my coil builds is gonna open another horizonā€¦ :slight_smile:

Hey, thx for the response. Iā€™m away from my mixing station at the moment but had tried a little mix of that Forest mix and a bit of Bilberry just before I had departed on this trip. It was the first time I had tried it and it was just a sip or twoā€¦ jury was still out on it for me. Iā€™ll have to look at it again after a good little review like that.

It is an excellent standaloneā€¦The comparative Berry flavor by Capella is Harvest Berry, but it has a real earthy flavor to it, whereas the FA Forest Fruit is more of a dark berry, and pretty clean and has a brightness to the vape, as wellā€¦As it steeps, it changes from a clear liquid to a chartreuse greenā€¦@ 2 weeks it has itā€™s brightness to it, and the floral harshness is goneā€¦You could try it at about 10 daysā€¦might even be fresherā€¦But my new coil experiment really made a world of difference from my earlier attempts with the flavor and I tried a lot of combinations of %s, PG/VG ratios, and steep timesā€¦Sorta like my 1st liquid mix test when I started DIY mixing

nodsā€¦ I have Harvest Berry also that I want to play a bit with.

I know! Phill and all the info from everyone here is the best!
I definitely realize now that a variable speed drill is a must. I donā€™t know why I even tried with off/on at 100 mph without my glasses.
Sounds like you are really enjoying a large improvement in flavor - interesting. You KNOW Iā€™m always striving for increased flavor. Forest Fruit. Hm. putting it in my X-Pure dripper now. Mmmm Verry cherry. I know thatā€™s not the point. Just curious. Itā€™s a good single flavor. Also might work with some of the Black Cherry by Medicine Flower. I really do like the flavor of that Forest Fruit FA. Nice cherry which is hard to find. FA Cherry is very weak. INW Cherries is pretty good. Cherry, Morello Cherry by MF is weird and not a cherry. Capella Wild Cherry is like cherry cough drop flavor.

Interesting you would mention Cherryā€¦I was at work stealth vaping some FA Forest Fruit and was thinking of a way to use 2 Cherries that I got of Inawera/////thought that mixing a blend of the Cherries with the Forest Fruitā€¦Hmmmmmmmmā€¦Mixing this weekendā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been vaping the FA Forest Fruit in an X-Pure dripper for the last 15 minutes. REfilled it about 4 times. Tried adding a little TPA Custard. Even yummier. Is that a word? lol.

Also been enjoying in my Theorem RTA, Medicine Flower Caramel, Exotic Fruits by INW and Pear by TPA (or Pear by INW) for DAYS!
Iā€™m sure with your mixing skills, you could make a really good recipe. Iā€™ve got to have a little creamy, a little sour or bite and a lot of sweet. Lately, Iā€™m adding 1-2 drops of EM to my tanks when I fill them. Itā€™s making the world of difference. Liquid Sevia just wasnā€™t doing as good at all. Yes, itā€™s my choice for a sweetener when I make a mix. Iā€™d never add the EM then. Only when know iā€™m not going to store it and vape it right away. ā€¦ since they say it makes flavors fade over time.

So greatā€¦ A lightbulb moment.
Maybe Iā€™m confused over the twoā€¦ My Forest Fruit never turned green.

Iā€™m going to bed. Just gotta sayā€¦ I love you dude. You are a most wonderfull mixing buddy.

Looks like youā€™re talking to yourself on the last reply to yourselfā€¦ :slight_smile: Forest fruit not going greenā€¦Sounds like you are vaping it fresh?..I am glad you are likinā€™ itā€¦

Gonna twist up some 28 gauge SS twisteds this weekend, and throw em in one of my new Aromamizersā€¦Lookin forward to tasting thatā€¦but nahā€¦not that skilled at mixing, but do a lot of standalones, and love to experimentā€¦Thanks for the loveā€¦ :kissing_heart:

Sweet dreams :slight_smile:

Hmmm. New? Like the 25mm?

Do you do verticals or horizontal builds?

New to meā€¦I have 2 of the originalsā€¦1 is the 3 ml version and the other is a 6ml versionā€¦both with the Silicone/rubber Vape band air flow controlā€¦and then I got a V-2 with the Steel band air flow controlā€¦So far, I have only done horizontal buildsā€¦Actually I have been so focused on learning mixing and have only been doing contact mini-coil builds, and not really paying too much attention to the finer points of coils, and how they affect the vapeā€¦I was amazed at how a simple Kanthal twisted coil changed the flavor, so now I am starting to experiment with a few more complex buildsā€¦Got some 28 gauge Stainless Steel and look forward to playing with thatā€¦Been reading about SS and it seems that a lot of vapers view that material as a significant improvement over Kanthalā€¦Thoughts?

Being so cheap I like to rewick the same coil forever. AS Kanthal ages it gets likeā€¦ rusty (contains some iron). Especially after dry burning it and running under water when hot. That starts to affect the way the wick ages and I start getting a metallic taste. Other coils materials have no iron (Ni Ti SS) and I donā€™t get any flavor but juice

1 Like

Itā€™s the next dayā€¦
No, Iā€™m not vaping the Forest Fruit FA fresh. Iā€™ve never vaped anything fresh. I mixed it up after I bought it a couple of months ago. I keep single flavors - every flavor I have (about 300) in a cupboard on my coffee table where I sit. They are in square 30 ml or 10 ml plastic dropper bottles I got from Fasttech. I like the square bottles because I can fit more in the cupboard using that shape. I have plastic drawers inside the wooden cupboard that I pull out, set on the table to access. One is all fruits, one is all Baked, one Dairy, ect. They are plastic drawers that came out of one of those screw organizers youā€™d use in your garage. I should take a photo. Let me try and Iā€™ll post it.

6 Likes

Looks like Iā€™m going to have to learn how to make my own Clapton coils using ss316l.

I tried two builds today just using 28g ss316 2.5mm and the flavor is just not there in my rta. Tossed in a new Kanthol a1 Clapton coils and flavor is back.

Grrr.

Is is safe to Clapton 28 g ss316l over its self?

There is a guy on YouTube by the name of m.terk, his channel is pristine buildsā€¦watch his video on doing claptons using his techniqueā€¦holding the spool about 12-14 inches away from the core wire at a 90 degree angleā€¦doesnā€™t matter how fast your drill is, it will coil itself. Just make sure you have good swivels to keep up with the drill. Look it up and try it. ā€¦it works

Excellent videoā€¦just got back from Walmart with #4 Ball Bearing swivels in the fishing departmentā€¦will be experimenting with that methodā€¦gonna take the time to create the proper jigsā€¦also gonna add a jig to hold the drillā€¦Until then @Chrispdx I just took some 28 gauge SS 316L and did a twisted 2 strand coilā€¦Ohmed out at .4 ohms in my Goblin Miniā€¦FA Forest Fruitā€¦Flavor is Un*******Believableā€¦Cleanest I have ever tastedā€¦Even nicer than the 28 gauge twisted Kanthal coil that I mentioned earlierā€¦Gonna trade in my Kanthal for SSā€¦Any takers?.. :slight_smile: ā€¦Also, I donā€™t think it would be a problem by wrapping a 28 on a 28 to make your Claptonsā€¦might bring up resistance a bitā€¦But for what you may have going now, I would experiment with a twisted 2 strand with your 28 SSā€¦and feel the flavorā€¦

1 Like

Well, then I need to share this:
Kidneypuncher.Com has been advertising a new line of higher gauge SS wire that has been annealed in such a way to reduce the springiness making it ideal for clapton wire. I have 2 sizes ordered and will be wrapping when it comes in.
And, yes, Flavā€¦SS is where itā€™s at!

3 Likes

@Whiterose0818 What sizes are you getting?..and what kind of coils you gonna be putting together?..What ohms are you shooting for? ā€¦Sandvic is a Worldwide producer of Stainless Steelā€¦one of the purest outfits out thereā€¦I was researching SS for some other projects and researched these guys heavilyā€¦Some of the finest razor blades and welding wires in the worldā€¦Alsoā€¦what kind of attys and mods you building for?..I am looking to produce Claptons, and maybe fused Claptons for my mini tanksā€¦Goblin Mini and a Kayfun Mini cloneā€¦in the neighborhood of .8 or soā€¦I set up an account at Kidneypuncher and will prolly get some higher gaugeā€¦ Thoughts?