Steeping conditions

Hi, I’ve just made my first batch of juice. I’m well aware that I need to wait now while it steeps, but can anyone advise me of the best conditions to store the juice while it’s steeping? Dark or light, cold or warm etc. etc. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Cool dark place. In a drawer, cabneit, or other.

I use a kitchen drawer (because I have no kids running around to get into it.

6 Likes

I concur with @Chrispdx. I have a small filing cabinet away from windows so it stays cool. Some of my mixes get a 1 or 2 minute hot water bath in a cup of hot tap water after I mix it. Then I shake it for about a minute and let it sit with the cap off for about an hour or two. Then put cap back on shake well again and in to the cabinet.

5 Likes

I appreciate that someone else breathes their juice, some flavors (citrus punch) have alcohol in them and make it very harsh, you let it breath to dissipate that, some folks don’t believe this is real science. Kudos @CarolinaVapen

5 Likes

I start to believe that I like the alcohol that is in the juices lol.
I say this because the first 4 mls +/- I always taste better than the rest of the liquid in the bottle, then I think the taste fades, that the juice has 1 day, 1 week, or 1 month of maturation! and it does not seem to me to be the symptom of saturated papillae! when I come back to taste a week later, I still have the same feeling. :neutral_face:
Does it happen to anyone else?

1 Like

When I didn’t let my ADVs go through my little routine above it just took a little longer to get there and had a few more off notes to start with. I started doing for the alcohol evaporation as you said, and ended up just doing all of them that way. It just works for my tastes.

1 Like

When I have a issue similar I bump some of the flavors up so they are almost to strong off the steep and let them steep/fade into what I like. Of course I guess when the alcohol is still there it carries the flavor and has a bit more of a sharp taste. :thinking:

1 Like

Generally I make large 0 nic batches unless I’m testing…

But these sit on the top shelf of my desk in the kitchen. Until needed…

House stays at around 75 degrees year round

Edit : and desk recieves no direct sunlight

4 Likes

For me it’s flavor excitement. This is mainly why I stick with mixing 15 and 30mls with the vast majority of 15ml.

The first drip is bettter than the next and so on. With recpie development the first drip is just as good as the last…too a point. Sadly the excitement fades when I get to 20mls and then 30. Therefore I stick to 15mls and everything is always super good.

Just a food for thought.

2 Likes

It’s one of the things that I was thinking yesterday, I made a mango/Papaya shake as an S&V after 5 days it started dulling… it shouldn’t have happened… in my little brain…

I know (and studied) just about everything about volatile molecules, letting the alcohol and chemicals out etc… but I also learnt that, not being a science… sort of… you have to know which recipe you have to let breathe and which not…
That said… why it happened on my Mango recipe?? I really haven’t got a right/correct/straight answer. I’m not a noob, so it was a low VG, no creams, just a dash of milk and meringue, took all precautions, the bottle wasn’t open, was in the dark etc etc but still… it happened… so probably fruits taste better fresh and then start fading…

But… my little brain started thinking about concentrates, flavour persistence and longevity… does it depend from manufacturer to manufacturer? Do fruits fade faster and caramels, creams and so forth have a longer “lifespan”?? Do we get vaper’s tongue so quick??? I don’t think it was the tongue…my son’s vote was a 7.5 after 5 days… so my initial 8.5 went down the drain… I(I thought it was a ten… but I’m biased…:joy:)

So the quest for persistency goes on! Back to the drawing board…

2 Likes

When I see members mixing 100 and 200 mls, I question if it is something I do wrong … But I also reached that reason; However I began to mix with MF flavors and made bigger batches, I will know how they will evolve over time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool dark place but personally iv been testing fast steep methods with a crockpot on a thermostat cut off at 40c apparently nic doesn’t degrade under this temp it seems it helps brown the liquid and evaporate some alcohols helping the mix steep quicker but I may start leaving the nic out and adding it after the initial crockpot period to see if it works well

1 Like

I let my juices steep in a dark place at room temperature. I use time as my guide for steeping and it has never steered me wrong. Yes, my patience is limited sometimes and i just cant wait to pluck it off the shelves. I keep dates on mine and a detailed notebook of recipes so i can keep track better!
Here is a couple threads you may find helpful…

Enjoy! These helped me when i had/ have questions

3 Likes

cool dark place in a a box

3 Likes