Steeping juices and tasting them: question about pipette bulbs

Nope, cos thereā€™s a limit to how far Iā€™m willing to worry about these things (thought I made that clear?) And VG isnā€™t acidic. I donā€™t transfer any of the flavour concentrates that come in plastic bottles into glass ones either, though I often think I should. That ā€œtoo much faffā€ factor comes into it there.

2 Likes

Raises a question in my mind, anyway. If storage in plastic bottles is not so good, why do all the manufactures do it then?

2 Likes

Cause itā€™s cheaper and they donā€™t give a shit, most companies anyway. Weā€™re the bastard red heads of the flavor world, there are only a couple companies that actually make flavors specifically for vaping, and e-juice manufacturers are mostly only concerned with profits, thatā€™s why you can find juice on the shelf of your local b&m in every color of the rainbow, and food coloring is an obvious thing that could be removed from juice to help lower health risk. Last I checked, LA watermelon costs the same whether itā€™s colorless or bright pink, but almost every watermelon juice on the shelves around here has that pretty pink glow lol

4 Likes

So they want to kill their customers. At least the vaping ones. I see, thanks. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haha. But @Fishaddict420 had a point, there. The food flavouring manufacturers all sell their flavourings in glass bottles; because all of we consumers(or most of us, at least) know by now, about toxic chemials leaching from plastic containers into foodstuffs. LPDE and PET (which the vape guys generally use) are supposedly safe in this respect (They are not antisocial monsters, see? ) but yer average consumer is deeply suspicious of the lot by now., and who the heck can blame her?

(Iā€™m not trying to call myself an average consumer, mind, Iā€™m actually a regular weirdo)

But all this is pretty much off-topic. The real question is this: having made the entirely sensible and ever-popular choice of using glass steeping bottles rather than plastic, how then do you prevent the flavour escaping through the rubber pipette bulb ? short of swapping back-and forth between pipette cap and closed cap? Some people really want to know!

2 Likes

Seems the only answer, really. I suppose this is why MF includes hard caps along with droppers with some of their flavors.

1 Like

Yep. You can tell which of their flavours are especially volatile by the presence of the closed cap. Ignore that hint at your peril! (the peril in this instance is of a wishy-washy, flavourless vape )

1 Like

Pffbbt. lol

And cigarette companies donā€™t! :wink:

3 Likes

Perhaps leave the good cap and use cheap disposable pipettes, single use?

5 Likes

And the Special Hug Smiley Award for this thread goes to @Plunderdrum for an actual constructtive reply. Yaaay!

Plunderdrum. I have seriously considered that, environmentally obnoxious though it would be of me, to actually increase my disposable plastic usage, whilst everybody else is cutting down !

Indeed, I actually went so far as to order some. Or rather, I meant to. When i opened the package , I found that Iā€™d accidentally doubled my order of needles instead :laughing:

2 Likes

I thought about the waste aspect as well, and seeing that DIY usage of plastic pipettes is a speck of plastic dust compared to the food and beverage industry, I donā€™t think we are too much of a worry to the planet. That said, perhaps we could make pipette sculpture art with them! Repurposed waste into something fun and thought-provoking!

1 Like

i rinse em, squeeze DW in, do some shakes, squeeze out water, repeat about 10 times. They will eventually crack and no longer work but they do last quite long.

3 Likes

You just defeated the whole object of disposable pipettes! :laughing:

BTW , I just dound some advice from TPA about flavour storage, quoted on another thread

2 Likes

so if plastics arenā€™t good and glass bottles have issues with the capsā€¦ what IS a good solution?

3 Likes

I am liking these a lot. If your not to heavy handed you can get very small drops! Small as in my scale will not measure until you do 4 or 5. Blowing on the scale and then letting it settle will sometimes register a change but iā€™m not sure how accurate that would make it!

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping that a really good solution will emerge from this thread. Iā€™m not so thrilled by the discovery of PVC bulbs now. Sorry, Iā€™ve lost the link to the info i was recently perusing, but it looks like something you really donā€™t want to risk making contact with your juice :frowning:

Maybe better check what those transfer pipettes (above) are made of?

[EDIT: I just checked , They;'re made of polyethylene ]

Thanks, but Iā€™ll stick with 1ml syringes when I want to measure such tiny amounts,

Those pipettes you linked to might be really handy for tasting purposes though. My only concern is that theyā€™re designed for essential oils and make-up apparently, so I wouldnā€™t assume they were safe for dispensing juice. That said, the juice wonā€™t be in contact with the things for very long! so dunno if thatā€™s really a concern or just a quibble (more likely)

1 Like

Actually they were designed for the scientific realm to replace the old straw (using your mouth to suck up a sample in a glass tube) method of liquid transfer. Disposable are best used that way, one substance then disposed. I use them frequently and think it is a good method to transfer your liquids in small amounts.

2 Likes

Perhaps there is no perfect answer here. The more you read the worse it seems to get! This was interesting read for a quick search.

I personally store in plastic and glass. Larger amounts on concentrates are stored in glass with tightly sealed caps. Volatile concentrates are stored in 4 dram glass vials with tightly sealing caps. I transferred my recently acquired MF concentrates into the same glass vials. Right or wrong this works for me. my small Pipettes are used and pitched in the trash. I do use the larger 3ml pipettes for larger batches and again works good for me. Will be following along to see what others come up with.

2 Likes

I have to confess I am SO cheap i wash and reuse 1 cent disposable pipettes. I bought some low-cost dropper glass bottles and the rubber was crap. Now I basically mix in 120ml - 240ml brown glass and pour into 30ml Chubby Gorilla PET or HDPE bottle for the now. I have a buncha 30ml brown glass dropper bottles in a drawer somewhere.

3 Likes

Hell yeah buddy. Iā€™m using the same glass wear for the last three years. It takes time to wash stuffā€¦but I can spend more on flavors and gear.

3 Likes