Steeping? Myth or a must?

Simply not true. There are plenty of mixes that are good straight away. That’s not to say they don’t change over time - all do to one degree or another. Most for the better but some…not so much. You will find good reading on the subject here.

And it so happens one of my favorite mixes is excellent as a shake and vape. Of course it does get better in a week or so, but right off it’s really good.

6 Likes

I’ve only been mixing about 3 months now and found steeping has vastly improved some of my first mixes that I thought were a dead loss after trying them a few days after mixing.
The only real snv that I have enjoyed are one shot concentrates I purchased like T Juice Red Astaire and Black N Blue, these I mixed at 20% and were vapeable from the off and tasted just like premium.
I Have about 10 one shots now that I mix and vape whilst my stash is Steeping.

2 Likes

SnVs are a WONDERFUL thing, but most of the time steeping will change the flavor. more often than not the flavor gets stronger, but a lot of times flavors that are really strong off the bat calm down over time.

Same here. I have a recipe that’s nice, bright, and crisp as a snv that develops into a sweeter, more smooth vape after a couple weeks.

3 Likes

All of my minty menthol mixes are S&N just because the way my daily routines go, I’m usually getting low by the time I can mix anything. They do mellow out a lot after a week or two. I’ve never had any last a month though. :slight_smile: Creme De Menthe gets much creamier after a week but again, a 50 mil bottle only lasts a couple weeks so… :grin:

4 Likes

I know that working with NET liquids the first pull is horrific. After a month or so sublime is the only word I have for them. I made a cherry vanilla pipe that I heat cooled and tried. Nope no sir. Put in my coffee can steeper and month later, best pipe I have ever had.

4 Likes

I think you’ll find that it’s even more than 1 hundred bagillion, more like 3 or 4

2 Likes

Raspberry, Custard, Creams, Nuts, all way better for me after a month

4 Likes

From experience it really depends on the flavor and personal preference.

Again it depends on the flavor and personal preference .

Even thou I have mixes premixed at 0 nic

I don’t like until it has nic in it for 1 week. Others I just add nic shake n vape.

1 Like

it’s definitely not a myth…

some flavors are good even for shake and vape… some others need time, some others need more time and some other need much more time…
i will not speak for different steeping techniques or whatever… but in a very generic way i would say:
fruits : usually they can be ready fast…
creams: need more time
complex recipes: need much more time…
high VG juices: need even more time specially when the recipes are complex
very big batches: imho need much more time…

though steeping is a very personal preference… i mean even if we are talking for the same juice, i could taste better for me in 30 days and for you at 15 days… but oh well did i said days? that’s steeping :stuck_out_tongue:
in a more expert way and simple to explain the thing is waiting for the ejuice to be stable… what this means? waiting for it to be on a state that we can’t understand any changes in taste… for explaining it further

let’s say you’re making a very large batch like 1liter of an ejuice called "Elixir of youth"
forget about the recipe… doesn’t matter… it’s flavor A, B,C and D…
if you start vaping it on first day that batch was created (if you like it that way) a few days it will have a different taste… the same after a week, some goes after 2 or 3 weeks (timelines are random just for an example) etc etc… when the ejuice is stable anymore no matter what it will taste the same!!!

if you’re making small batches probably you can’t understand this thing very well… ejuices need time to get steeped… but 30ml or 50ml can go away in just a few days before the procedure completes so this can’t be a rule… in my case that i make very large batches 300ml-1liter of different juicees storing them in my closet, i start vaping them after like 30-40 days, sometimes some recipe require a little more time to be completely stable… and that’s a good point of steeping… while in general steeping methods can vary! there are several ways to steep… personally i don’t consider myself as an expert still learning and i have a lot to learn yet… though all i want to say is that steeping isn’t just a myth… it’s a requirement or even i would say a MUST!

5 Likes

Nice post. That is one of the best explanations of steeping I have seen. I am an impatient mo fo.
6A4B5B74-5674-43F5-976B-5C158DD0324F
I need some.

4 Likes

thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

May i know how long do Capella Sugar Cookie need to steep? Im currently trying to play around with this flavor because previously i got an expired one :frowning:

1 Like

Well, if you read the reply in comment #2 of this thread that person gives it 30 days. My mixes it’s 7-10 days minimum.

6 Likes

Oh i thought it was just his preference because i heard some people prefer it fresh, but i dont get anything ‘cookie’ that way. I’ll treat it just like custard then. Thanks!

3 Likes

I’d be surprised if those people actually did any comparison testing. I think some people with the shake & vape mentality are doing themselves (and their juices) an injustice. The steeping process really needs to viewed as an absolute necessity if you expect the best from your mixes.

To realize the potential of a single flavor IMHO is pretty simple. Just take a flavor that has properly steeped and compare it to a freshly mixed version. Naturally the word “properly” is open to interpretation.

6 Likes

no arguments here. steeping in a must. didn’t like this recipe when I first made it… I was like man this sucks. but then when I was on my way to atlanta a month later with my truck packed with my tools. it was the only bottle I could get get my hands on. I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Strawberry Hubba Babba
6.00% Capella - Bubble Gum
4.00% Capella - Sweet Strawberry

4 Likes

I think it depends. Some steeping is necessary but I am finding that if you use less % concentrates such as Flavorah, you are talking about days and not weeks or months.

2 Likes

Yeah, Flavorah is one of the few manufacturers (that I know of) that lists recommended steep times on all their flavors. Although, they list their tobaccos as “SNV or longer” which I don’t believe.
List of steep times

2 Likes

Just to break the rules…some juices may actually be very good off the shake (ok well 1 day) and may not taste as good a week later. For me I find this with a lot of fruit recpies.

This is why I stop screwing with short steeps. For me if a juice is no good at 4 weeks and beyond then I consider the recpie broken. This of course is option for my mixing methods because I don’t have time to mix every day or other day…I make time every two weeks.

6 Likes

I’ve been curious about this. If they (hypothetically) recommend 3 days, what happens to that mix at 40 days? Is it ready at 3 days and stays right there for the life of the bottle? Has anyone tested this? I don’t own any FLV.
@anon84779643, any thoughts?

1 Like