Stevia - DIY or pre made?

@bluenose63 Ive read about DIYers using 9% saline before and I wouldnt mind giving it a try. Would you mind sharing the finer details with me and maybe we could compare notes ?

I bought some from the rite-aid pharmacy for making the Charlie Nobleā€™s PB Cereal recipe. It is the only recipe I have used it in (was super low percent) and havenā€™t tried that recipe without it yet. I sprayed ~30 nl into a dripper bottle for ejuice and put the rest of the bottle in the medicine cabinet. That 30ml I sprayed out will last me a life time even if I actually remember to start using it in other nut/caramel based recipes. I think it can certainly add a little depth to those types of flavors that would benefit from a little salty note but donā€™t have enough experience yet to really be of any further help.

1 Like

Good find. Thank you for sharing your info. A question if i may. Does it cloud the final mixes?

pm sent, rather than derail this thread on Stevia

No, it doesnā€™t cloud the mix.
It sweetens, and it smoothes.

@bluenose63 Gotcha, replied

I donā€™t know where this is sourced, and it doesnā€™t claim ā€˜organicā€™,
but it is the same type of powder, and itā€™s available to you.
There is another sold in the UK that is organic, but I will need to find the link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Source-100%-Stevia-Extract/dp/B003VQYHF4/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481295625&sr=8-2&keywords=pure+stevia+powder

2 Likes

This is a good one, according to a friend.
She makes it the same as I do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Bottles-NOW-Organic-Better-Stevia-Extract-Powder-1-oz-ea-/311600966947?hash=item488cdd6d23:g:P1EAAOxyiRlSbBlV

2 Likes

Thanks for the links, I had looked at both those products and dismissed them because of the ambiguous wording but now I know that theyre ok Ill give one a try

1 Like

So the powdered leaf experiment didn`t turn out too well, but I got hold of ā€œBetter Stevia Originalā€ liquid.

The ingredients are de ionised water, certified organic stevia extract (Reb) and 11% alcohol, will I need to dilute it before use ?

2 Likes

@Chewy I wasn`t able to get hold of the organic powder so I got the liquid described in my last post

@vince01
This is the stevia I got from e-bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULK-POWDERS-STEVIA-LEAF-REBAUDIANA-PURE-EXTRACT-POWDER-NATURAL-SWEETENER-/262368882924?var=&hash=item3d166770ec:m:m6asqYoEU2kCywdNgY5OKNw

1 Like

Ive bookmarked that, Ill see how I get on with the liquid, thanks

I use it often, I made my own, cost practically bugger all, distilled water and fine sea salt

1 Like

Just to add to this topic.
Iā€™ve just recieved a 25g bag of pure Stevia powder (97% reb a). I got it from bulk powders. If you spend over Ā£20 with them you can use code GOOGLE10 for Ā£10 off.
Had a taste of the smallest dusting of powder on tip of finger and itā€™s so sweet.
I was wondering if the citric acid i see listed on the pyure drops ingredients is to help it dissolve in solution or if itā€™s there purely as a preservative. I have citric acid powder here so will make a solution in a 30ml bottle but wondering how much powder to use and if anyone has had luck getting this to fully dissolve in water and Pg.
I was thinking of dissolving it in a small amount of water first then topping this off with Pg or will it dissolve straight into Pg? Any advice greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Please post picture of bag, and ingredients list.

If it is pure stevia powder, no fillers, no buffers, no preservativesā€¦Reb Aā€¦not leavesā€¦

I use 1 to 2 teaspoons of pure powder to 30ml of VG, but I blend it on a magnetic stirrer for almost an hour.

For the stevia stone mix I make to use in fruit flavored e-juice, I also add 5 drops of Key Lime lime juice (you can use lemon juice), and I add 5 drops of Braggā€™s apple cider vinegar with ā€œmotherā€.

Please post pic of bag, front and back, and ingredients list.

2 Likes

It is pure Stevia. After discount spread across the other items I purchased it worked out about Ā£5 for 25g.
Here are the pics. ā€¦

Hopefully it uploaded both. If not Iā€™ll edit and add. The front of all bulk powders is a generic pack so only the back is relevant anyway.

How much once mixed is comparable to 1ml of TPA sweetener? Iā€™m hoping this will work out the substitute Iā€™ve been looking for.
Iā€™d ideally like to end up with a clear solution but havenā€™t had a go at mixing any up yet. Iā€™ll just use a tiny bit of citric acid powder added to the solution (maybe quarter to half a gram per 30ml)

Thatā€™s the front. Looks exactly the same as the front of their creatine, vitamin c etc.

The cheapest way to get it from them is to put in 2 lots of 50g.
So you can get 100g of pure powder for Ā£20.93 delivered.

Itā€™s Ā£2.95 delivery and that is after using the GOOGLE10 code for Ā£10 off over a Ā£20 spend.

Hopefully this will be helpful to some of you.