Stevia - DIY or pre made?

Hey, @Sprkslfly, @woftam… I made a 5% solution of pure REB-a powder in Distilled Water, no Citric or ACV. It’s Pyure brand, no fillers or flavors.

My question is how do you prefer I enter this into the flavor db, as nothing quite says it right that I could find.

Stevia Extract (Pure REB-A) (5% Solution in DW) ?

Can you guys help tighten this up before i add it to my stash? Thanks!

2 Likes

After looking into what’s already in the database… I think I’ve just found the next ‘project’ to attack. Oi. :headache:

Seems like the most used (that I ran across off the cuff) is

Edit:
Use: Stevia (Pyure) no additives listed

Forget the below for now. You’re not using powder (which is what I locked on to)

In your case, I would probably suggest the following though:

Stevia (Pure REB-A powder) 5% Solution

I’ll have to give things some further thought after having a substantially better look into the state of things. I may end up merging what I just suggested (IF I find a better solution or format), but I’m thinking let’s go with that for now!

Thank you for asking!!

2 Likes

I use

Natural Malic Acid (300mg/mL)
Natural Citric Acid (100mg/mL)

etc the database entries are not capitalized (grr) but you could use something like that for stevia
Natural Stevia (REB-A) (50mg/mL)
or
Natural Stevia (REB-A) (5%)
Not sure the DW is required as the dilution is the important part IMO.

But totally in @Sprkslfly 's court as to the prefered string

3 Likes

For clarification, “powder” as a naming descriptor, should only come into play when the mixer themself has a powdered product on the table in front of them.
Outside of that, it’s marketing.

That way, folks can tell at a glance that they need to source the powder form of whatever they want to make (be it Stevia/Reb-A, Malic acid, Citric Acid, etc etc).

Sorry for adding any confusion with the above post, I should know better than to try and address things like this while still waking up.

2 Likes

Completely agree with you here. And it’s the approach I’ve been using for some time now.

The person mixing knows how/what they’ll cut it with (DW, Saline, PGA, etc) and those who are at that level of comfort/experience are more likely to have their own preference anyways, so to me, further distinction seems extraneous.

I would voice one concern (request) though with the particular example(s) above, and that is: to list ‘natural’ after the ingredient/flavor name. And then drop the parenthesis off the solution/dilution.

EG: Stevia Natural (REB-A) 5% dilution

By using this format, I’m attempting to keep continuity in the “common name”, “brand/alternative identifier” scheme.
And the dilution being an “add-on” trailer (so to speak).

As I’ve said previously, I have no intention of merging solutions/dilutions (even though I still have folks who continue to submit “dilution dupes” for merging into a Non-dilution primary, who either haven’t read that, or don’t remember it.)

Solutions (and the varying percentages) ARE a legitimate “flavor”, and I continue to try and respect them as such.

3 Likes

Thanks, you guys! Now for another confusifier! It’s Organic.

Stevia Organic (REB-A) 5% dilution

Or, stick with Natural?

Sorry, @Sprkslfly!

2 Likes

Stevia itself (meaning: the plant) is organic, so I consider it redundant to add a descriptor in this case.

It’s when a synthetic comes into play (when both exist) where the descriptors are warranted IMO.

So far (to my knowledge), I haven’t seen nor heard tell of synthetic Stevia.
Additives being added, yes. But not the Reb-A itself.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested in using Distilled Water for their Stevia Dilution, This easy DIY method is far more convenient than buying a gallon at the store. I only needed a maximum of 30ml, so a gallon is going to sit for months unused.

I used the pasta pot/floating bowl with ice on the lid method. Very easy!

2 Likes

Hey, update on my DW 5% solution. Back to the drawing board. It had cloudy floaty masses in it after 3 days so I tossed it.

@woftam graciously recommended adding an acidic component to drop the pH to 4.5 to prevent possibility of bacteria growth, haven’t tried that yet.

Just an update that my original idea was a flop in case anyone was going to try it.

2 Likes

Now experimenting with just adding powdered Reb-A straight into my mixes at .08% so far, so good. No cloudiness and tastes good!

Ordered these to get more efficient, haven’t arrived yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCBB7N6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dXeDDbWB1K0PC

1 Like

Duely noted, thanks for the tip. This is me adding powder straight into a new mix.

2 Likes