"sticky" mix, gone bad?

hey ELR buddies, i have a mix that seems to me to be sticky - it’s not viscous (like when you have a max VG mix), no - it’s sticky. it’s relatively fresh, been steeping for only couple weeks, maybe 3.

the main flavor is the new Chocolate Glazed Doughnut (FA) - i may have ~3% in there with some vanilla ice cream and creme de menthe - so nothing too fancy - it was an adhoc mix, not per an exact recipe

but i wonder why the mix turned sticky - it’s yellow’ish (so looks like any steeped juice)? it’s like mixing water and sugar and leaving the mix until they develop that stickiness … and yes, it doesn’t taste that good too - i even added some PG thinking maybe i had too much VG and flavors in there… but didn’t help much

you think i should throw the mix away? any one saw this happen before?

3 Likes

@TheFlavorSeeker
Hmmmm, that’s strange. What color is the VG by itself ? PG ? Nicotine ?

Have you checked your VG alone PG alone ? Does either seem off colored or “sticky” ?
Check dates on Flavors too check to see if you individual flavorings are sticky. Process of elimination for starters.
Can you post your actual recipe here including percents etc… ?
just for the Pros to take a look at what your working with

3 Likes

@whosyourdaddy, all my base is OK. i have other mixes using the same PG, VG and Nic - even from the same bottles… all good.
there’s no recipe unfortunately - as i mentioned it was one of the “on the fly” mixes. i’m guilty of making many of these. if i remember correctly it was 3% CGD (FA), 2% VIC (FA) and 2% Creme De Menthe (TPA) - i don’t think i added anything else - i rarely use sweeteners - definitely didn’t add any this time.

3 Likes

I was thinking maybe the VG wasn’t shaken before being added and you got a heavy sticky load (yikes, that sounds dodgy) in the bottle this time?

3 Likes

Like @whosyourdaddy said, process of elimination. I believe the 2 FA flavors are fairly new to the market so they’re most likely still viable. Logically speaking, that leaves the CDM as the perp. How old is that one?

3 Likes

i think found the reason… seems it’s the CGD.
in my steep box, i found another mix with it, and it “feels” the same - sticky like honey rather then viscous like VG - something in that flavor causes the mix to do that.
i only started using it recently and it’s new as @TorturedZen mentioned, that’s maybe why this caught me by surprise … mystery seems to be solved (i hope)

4 Likes

It could simply just be a chemical reaction from a combo a of 2 things. Do the 2 juices you have found the issue in have any other flavors in common?

Did you try to make a single flavor test with it to see if it has the same outcome?

4 Likes

@Lummy, i think that CGD flavor is strange and it can cause many funny things on its own :slight_smile: - i see solid stuff in the bottom of the flavor bottle and each time i look at it, it’s like “hmmm, are those shreds of chocolate or sugar in there?” :slight_smile:

• but i love it and went on and stocked on it in my last order… i think i should just set my expectations that mixes with it will be “stickier” than those without, and maybe use less % going forward.
2 Likes

Personally I would check that the plastic bottle hasn’t degraded - kinda weird for it to do that to a mix. I would be a bit wary of it tbh.

4 Likes

Perhaps you could contact FA, give them some feedback and ask if they know about this or heard from similar remarks from others. They’re the ones most familiar with the flavor and its properties and will probably be able to explain what’s going on…

4 Likes

thanks @woftam and @anon28032772

i’m pretty sure now it’s the flavor - and on second though (or second vape :wink: ) it doesn’t really taste bad - it’s just the sticky feel

if i get a chance i’ll post a photo of how funny the flavor looks into the bottle with all the solid parts at the bottom … and yes, any juice that has that flavor is a big coil gunker.

3 Likes

Always shake your flavors before mixing! :slight_smile:
Those settlements are fine, but need to be included in your mix.

2 Likes