Stop the EU vape tax

It’s very important that we get as many people as possible to sign this and take part in the consultation process. So please share it wherever possible too. This is being endorsed by all the major EU consumer advocacy groups. European Commission: Act now to stop the EU vape tax - Sign the Petition! https://t.co/cq4hcTWhLu 4 via @UKChange

10 Likes

Done and donation made too!

4 Likes

Signed and hope many others will do so too.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this. Signed .

2 Likes

Done and done. :facepunch:

3 Likes

I’ve signed-Being that I’m in the US, I’m hoping that my signature won’t be discarded. Here’s to hoping that your legislature is a bit more fiscally responsible than ours in California and won’t look to Sin Taxes to balance their budget!

2 Likes

EUPHA (The European Public Health Association) response to Public consultation on excise duties applied to manufactured tobacco and thepossible taxation of novel products
9 July 2018

EUPHA fully supports measures that discourage the use of tobacco and novel products such as ecigarettes
and heated tobacco products, including vaping and juuling. Tobacco is a hyper-lethal
product, killing half of its users1. And tobacco companies have known that their products are lethal
and addictive, since 1950. This justifies any measure that limits the use of this killer product.
EUPHA expressed support for actions that restrain the supply side of tobacco. We declared that we
would not engage with or collaborate with the Philip Morris International Foundation for a Smoke
Free World in any way and called upon all European public health organisations to do the same. We
have written to both British American Tobacco and Philip Morris International to ask them publish
corrective advertisements that tell people the truth about their lethal products, just as they were
required to do in a U.S. court ruling. And we called upon institutional investors to disinvest from the
tobacco industry. At the same time measures that restrain the demand side of tobacco, for example
through taxes, are needed.
Taxation is an effective way of promoting healthy behaviours, as we note in our earlier press releases
on adoption of sugar taxes in Europe to reduce the consumption on sugar2. The argument that is
often used against sin taxes is that such taxes are regressive, meaning that they let lower incomes
pay relatively more taxes, however this is a fallacy3.

1 Like