Storing and organizing your DIY supplies?

My wife says I need to clean my room.

20 Likes

Geez man. I thought I had a lot of flavors. Did you make those boxes?

The duct tape sides sure make 'em look like DIY boxes, Iā€™m just curious what heā€™s made the dividers with. Looks like maybe he found a use for all his old kanthal? :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s very stiff wire I got from work. Weaving was the key for it to hold itā€™s shape and being very sturdy. I use the duct tape to cover the sharp edges from the wire.

2 Likes

Some of these storage ideas look very clean, neat and creativeā€¦but wtf do you do about the smell??

My setup is mobile and ends up in a closet when not in use. I live alone and it come out once every week or two. My mix sessions are intense and sometimes last a couple days. I think Iā€™m immune to it but my girl know when itā€™s been out.

2 Likes

I think youā€™re on to something with that immune idea. I have no idea what people are talking about when they talk about smell. I have mine in plastic drawers on top of my dresser and donā€™t smell anything unless I stick my nose right on it. If Iā€™ve been mixing and I leave and come back sometimes I can smell it. Either I donā€™t have any really strong smelling flavors, or my nose is broken, or Iā€™m just used to it now. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Smell was my main concern, my solution works beautifully, and is very fast. First answer above:

Itā€™s strange, cause the bottles of mix actually smell worse than the bottles of flavor.
When I first started mixing Iā€™d steep/store my juices in my kitchen cabinetā€¦until the smell became unbearable, and it forced me to seek out some plastic storage bins with lids.
I also reuse the lil plastic zip lock bags that my flavors are sent in to make sifting through a 100 flavor bottles easier to find, by grouping them in catagories(berries, melons, sweetners, etc.)ā€¦so this likely cuts down the smell in the flavor bins.

When.people come over and admire my diy station, I make certain to gross them out with the ready to vape juice bin, ā€œsmell this!ā€

2 Likes

My smell receptors are nowhere near as sensitive as yours. I smell it for short time when I first take them out, then I donā€™t notice it. Once I put them up I donā€™t smell them.

I believe you do not use 4oz or larger bottles, do you? When Iā€™m in my shop, I am surrounded by hundreds of bottles of juice but it is not really all that bad as far as smell goes. I feel as though the smaller bottles seal much better than the large bottles. In my office I had to literally use fishing tackle boxes to store my bottles of flavor cause the smell would knockout a noseless jackass. I posted a picture if you remember. All the bottles are 4oz or bigger, and many of them. Iā€™d say Iā€™m far from immune to the smell and honestly think not very many would have been able to stand the smell in my small office with that amount of flavors odor. It was intenseā€¦

3 Likes

Yup, Iā€™m all 10-30ml bottles. No 4ozers yet, but I have a feeling with the crown Iā€™m gonna start running through juice quicker and may need some. Iā€™ll keep this in mind when I do and grab some sealed boxes, too. :smile:

1 Like

Fairly new (about a month or so) at DIYā€¦but you guys n gals have some amazing workshop setups! Mine is a big table in the living room for now - as the property is for sale, and I need to clean in a hurry to show the home. :confused:

~ Cheers.

Bud

7 Likes

One of the most important things I see there @BFoltyn7 is a notebook! Good man! :+1: Good notes can save the day!

7 Likes

One of the few times my mixing area doesnā€™t have a hundred bottles laid out on it

I do my research at the PC, then over to the mixing area with the tablet to mix on the stirrer. I now have a large metal nail polish rack on the wall at the end of the table since I got a bunch of new flavors in (220 now).

I store all of my liquids and supplies in the closet in that room.

10 Likes

When I started my business at home in 2012 I bought one of those 6ā€™ banquet tables like that from Samā€™s to use for a computer desk. Used it for 2 years till I popped $3k for the wood desk I have now. That table worked great for a desk and I got far more out of it than the $65 it cost. After getting the wood desk Iā€™ve used it for a number of things not the least of which was a work bench and saw horse when I was building the wood fence around my back yard. Mix on my brother.

3 Likes

This is my computer desk, still tied up in the divorce. You canā€™t really see all of it, but this is the only good pic I have of it. It cost $6500 new. It is the only thing I am really asking for so I hope the judge grants me this back. I am going to be really pissed if I never see it again.

12 Likes

what a handsome little guy!!! oh and yeah nice desk :wink::wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, he was a little pork chop when he was that age, I think around 18 months.

The best thing about that $6500 desk is I bought it for $90 at an auction. The back board on the hutch has a small puncture in it. You cannot even see it from the front. That is why it was at auction. I was prepared to bid it up to $1200. Everyone just stopped when I bid $90. Morons!

5 Likes

I use my tech racks, i had a buddy cut some glass for the shelves:

To organize i put all the bottles on the rack and then show it to my wife. She is like the RainMan of organizingā€¦

12 Likes