Struggling to make a good flavor

Oh and as for additives… There are all kinds, just depends what you are looking for… super sweet, sour, menthol/koolada…
Pyure stevia has been a really popular up and coming additive I have seen many using, I don’t know first hand with that one yet, but I have read that it can ease throat hit, sweeten, make fruit flavors pop (probably because of the apple cider vinegar in it)…
I have started using Pear at 0.5%- 1%, with many of my fruit mixes now also, as it adds a nice juicy mouthfeel to just about anything it is in and can really make the rest of the mix shine.

1 Like

@bradleyb5155

This is as true as it gets. ^^^^^^^^^
Think of it like cars, what if you only had the choice of a Ford? Hey, some great fun in driving there…
and then you finally learn about all the other mfg’s available !

“It takes a village to raise a child” It really does take more than one ‘family’ [of flavors] to produce a great mix.
Whether it’s the way they extract, or the amount of ingredients, concentrate, strength, etc. each mfg is different, and you need the diversity.

As Mike said, Pear is good as an additive, so is Cactus…or Dragonfruit, White Peach,…

2 Likes

Who makes Pear flavor?

FA and Inawera both have a very good pear flavor.

2 Likes

I Use FA Pear. But, I am less concerned with the brand on that, as I use it in such a small %, as an enhancer, not for the actual flavor of it. Unsure how other brands would compare, used similarly.

Damn ozo why you gotta bring up the Cactus haha i dropped mine… Of course it just happened to be in the little wizard labs glass vial… Shattered all over the floor… Still havent ordered a new one. :stuck_out_tongue: so sad i never even got to use it… :frowning:
In the next couple weeks or so, i plan to do an order… I got a few key flavors im out of and some others i have been meaning to get…

1 Like

You know I gotta pick on somebody, Brother.
And you know you are a worthy opponent, but on the same team {wtf?]
Well, DOH , WTF , or CIA ATF FDA TSA …as long as you are not MIA, Brother.
You know you gotta get some Cactus, and rub up against it a little…
like your sheila does to your whiskers.
Speaking of sheilas, how is her health? I worry, but I pray more.
God bless you both.

1 Like

Shilo has been extremely over stressed and it rolls down hill onto my shoulders still. Her hernia has receided luckily, the doctors say the hole is too small for surgery so they suggest therapy to build new muscle over the hole.
We got a new matress (though i was in some disagreement on spending $800 we dont have right now…) but we are hoping having a better matress that isnt sagging like a hammock will help with the over all aches and pains and of course a good night sleep might improve our definitely affected mental states… My lack of good night sleep is unrelated to the bed itself, though, so i end up awake most the night still.

1 Like

Everyone responding thus far is spot on. I might add that if FW is the only brand you have at the moment I have found that; generally speaking, FW requires one to use a higher percentage of flavoring than other brands. In general, your finished juice may be around %10-15 flavorings. If using strictly FW you could be around %15-30 depending on which flavors you are using. Some FW flavors can be used at a lighter percentage like other brands; however, most require a little higher percentage. For additives, Ethyl Maltol is great for lighter fruity flavors, Cotton Candy for sweetener, and Graham Cracker works well to round out most juices, making them smoother.

Good Input, and Yes most FW juices I have made are close to 30% flavoring. Ill try some of the additives.
Do you have any recipes with mixed flavor brands?

Most of my recipes are mixed brands. I have 1 that is only FW and another that is FW except for one flavor. All the rest are mixed brands. When I first started mixing all I bought was FW which accounts for those two recipes. I only post my best recipes that everyone I know loves. Mediocre recipes I come up with, I won’t bother to post here. A good feature here is that you can input your flavors you have and then search for recipes you can make with what you have. Only downside is if you don’t have exactly what a recipe calls for it won’t come up, which sucks because many times you can easily substitute a flavor.

1 Like

Also, it is important to note that the feature only works when the flavors in your stash are entered correctly. To get the best results, when entering flavors into the stash, one needs to be sure to select the most popularly used entry for each flavoring (largest green number next to flavor name/brand in the drop down autofill that appears as you type a flavoring in).

1 Like

So do individual flavors have reviews? I had trouble finding this? I want to find who makes the best blueberry and who makes the best greek yogurt, etc.

Hey Bradley… . look at this page for ELR people’s preferences on many flavorings: Recommended Flavors and Research List

When you click on one of the flavorings, it takes you to that flavor’s page. Scroll down and click on ‘Notes’ so you can read about it.

1 Like

I was just about to repost this thread. If users that’s having problems with flavors take time to read up on flavors in this post it will go a long way in correcting current issues with mixes.

Being that taste is so subjective you can get many different views on what is best. Try following mixers that parallel your taste in mixes and see what they use.

1 Like

I find as taste is subjective to opinion, there really is no “best”.

I don’t usually discriminate between best or worst, so much as reading the notes to see what sort of flavor spectrum you’ll expect to find in a flavoring, for example, banana, some may taste light and natural, while another may be describes as tasting more like the runts candy banana… really just depends what you are aiming for in your mix as to which is Most suitable* (best) for Your* mix. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True, I suppose I should do some test batches with different brands of blueberry, greek yogurt, etc. and see what I like. Do any of you have personal favorites for greek yogurt or blueberry or any others?

I use Flavorah for my Blueberry. I haven’t tried any others, but I have no complaints with it.

Pretty much the same thing… but there are better options depending on individual taste and that’ll be trial and error. Testing many flavors until you decide what works best for you.

So what you say is true… there is no best flavor… only what a individual like best.

2 Likes