Syringe accuracy?

Hello all! I was wondering about something…

This is especially germane when mixing small accent flavors or finishers into small batches. My question is: do the measurement markings on a syringe account at all for what is still in the needle? My guess is, no.

For example - if I’m mixing a 15ml batch and my recipe calls for .25ml of any given flavoring - I use low gauge (14ga-16ga), 3 inch needles. It seems to me that (in relative terms), that needle could hold a significant amount of whatever flavor/finisher I’m adding. In most cases it wouldn’t be significant as I usually am mixing anywhere from 150ml to 500ml batches. But in a scenario like I mentioned, where I am trying to test a new recipe in a very small quantity - that extra amount of flavorings/finishers could significantly alter the out come. Am I crazy here? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Has anyone else had an issue with this?

Thanks!

1 Like

Because of different gauge needles, using the marks on the syringe is not accurate. I used to subtract 1cm to account for the needle. But this will change when you use a different gauge. IMO mixing by weight is the easiest and most accurate way to mix.

3 Likes

Honestly you have to invert the syringe knock all the air out and that is the true measurement. As @Pro_Vapes says with different gauges it will change d/ t different barrel sizes stick with the same gauge for your records and draw up a small amount and measure it this way ( backing it in to the syringe and then when it disappears into the needle you will know this is your amount desired) invert otherwise if you don’t you’ll be at least 0.10 off about every time.

1 Like

+1 for mixing by weight instead of volume if you’re really wanting accuracy…c’mon, join the club, we’ve all got t-shirts that say “Why the heck didn’t I do this sooner???” LoL.

2 Likes

Mix by weight. Easier and more accurate. If you want to keep using syringes and marked test tubes and flasks, use the same one per mix. It may not be accurate, but at least you’ll have the same ratios in your mixes. I’ve found that mixing by weight is the surest way to achieve accuracy…

1 Like

I am a nut that has the scale sitting right beside me and I still grab my syringes ( guess it’s the nurse in me ). I really really should bust out the scale today. I’m so stuck in my string rut. When I do know when it comes down to mere decimal points on weight it’s not a biggie. SMH at my own self.

Excellent responses guys - thanks so much! I guess I will have to look into getting set up to mix by weight. Any recommendations for the best equipment? Aside from a scale, any other recommendations? In the meantime, flipping the syringe and drawing the liquid out of the needle will have to do for now. I mean, when I’m mixing 250/500/1000ml batches, it’s really not something I worry about. But if I’m testing or experimenting on a small mix (15-30ml or less) - those extra .1/.2 percentages can make a difference!

Other than a scale, the only thing I’d recommend is getting some squeeze bottles for your Nicotine, PG, and VG. I typically sit in front of Youtube or Netflix with my scale, flavors, and squeeze bottles and go to town. I usually mix right in the bottle I’m gonna store in. Now that I have my jerry rigged frother, I’ll froth it a bit and then put em all up. I think I mixed about 8 10ml bottles the other day in 30mins. It was awesome. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t mix by weight yet, but plan on it soon. This scale has been recommended a few times from people on this forum:

I and a lot of others have this one: http://amzn.to/1hDhGyO but the american weigh one has a plug in, I think, whereas the Etekcity one doesn’t. Whatever you decide to get, make sure the accuracy is to 0.01g…the total weight capacity is typically stated as 500g.