TC With SS Low Ohm Coils

the new preheat function on the wismec/eleaf only works in wattage mode

edit to add: there also is the nfetoolbox and arctic fox firmware that has some dna like functions for preheat in tc mode and a device monitor for your pc but I havent used it much as the stock firmware works fine for me so far

1 Like

Preheat works in TC also. I never use power mode on my istick

1 Like

I disagree. I have the new firmware on my istick 200, rx2/3 and rx200s and the preheat only works in wattage mode. in tc mode you just set a single max wattage.

1 Like

I never tested it as I donā€™t use wattage, I assumed it worked whatever mode you were using. Seems pretty pointless to have it only in power.

1 Like

In TC I suspect the wattage applied is at the max you define until the temp is reached so its effectively a preheat anyway right?

1 Like

Yeah pretty much, but itā€™s not very reliable with larger coils/lower awg wire.

Crazywire got really good clean wire. Havenā€™t tried china wire but i am sure they canā€™t be compared at all.
Get most of my wire from them.

Have you used their Ti?. Itā€™s fucking great stuff. They did manage to mess up one of my orders twice though. I got a roll of what was meant to be SS316 26/32 clapton A 5.5 wrap coil 2.5 id was ohming out at .26. Iā€™m still not sure what it is lol

No i never tried TI at all, was about to a few months back but never got around to it and these days i only use mech mods so TI need to wait :smile:
It might be Kanthal you got on that wire roll.

If you go back to regulated for a while I would highly recommend their Ti, itā€™s so easy to work with and vapes like a charm

1 Like

Back when i thought about using TI it was their TI i would have ordered.

1 Like

My first TC coils were done using their Ti, needed a bit of cleaning but very goodā€¦Iā€™ve been sucked into the SS side of things since thoughā€¦maybe I should give Ti another crack, Iā€™ve still got a couple of reels

Idk if its any help but i just got my rx300 today and using dual ss316l fused claptons (26g/34ga self made .13Ī©) and works just fine in tc mode. Have you tried a custom tcr setup?

I just went back to Ti a few days ago and Iā€™ve bought more. It works so much better in TC

I did play about with TCR mode, yes, no luckā€¦I did the same with coils which work in SS mode too for shits and giggles and found SS mode was just as good but more straight forward.

I am starting to suspect poor quality wire i.e. Not all SS prewound but a mix of kanthalā€¦might be an order with crazywire next to try their heavier winds. If that fails then alternative firmwareā€¦then after that DNA lol.

Thatā€™s stupid, what the fuck are our governments doing. Oh yes, representing us, insert sarcastic emoticon. Protecting us from ourselves and those dastardly vaping companies.

Man this is bullshit. I hope so bad it doesnā€™t get worse.

For everyone else not copping that crap itā€™s awesome value.

1 Like

@Volition be aware that if you order order $1000 au (about $750 usd) of anything from overseas our lovely Au government will hit you up for 10% gst (and then spend on on trips to the Gold Coast to buy apartments (geographical joke))

1 Like

Ok I think I may have found the issue with this and also a workaround, safe one nothing dodgy.

Ok Chips like the DNA200 needs to jump up 150degrees C almost instantly or else it wonā€™t work, so therefore bigger SS builds can hinder this from happening due to their mass of metal takinga lot of energy to get hot.

It would seem the RX2/3 chip seems to do the same thing. I noticed of I used my build in VW mode for a while then went over to TC it would be fine. However, If I started that build from cold on TC it wouldnā€™t like it and flick back to VW mode.

So yes, If you are having troubles with your SS build staying in TC mode;

1. First check for shorts - Make sure that the issue isnā€™t shorting and eliminate that first as the problem.
  2. Take a few hits in VW mode, hence warming up the coils
  3. Change to TC and it will work

Other solutions is using smaller builds from a mass of wire point of view.

Iā€™m not 100% sure this is what is occurring but my observations seems to concur. Try it out if you are having problems and let me know what you think. If you have a example we could replicate that disproves my theory post it up here too. I would love to be confident of what the issue is. Now Iā€™d only say 80% confident.

1 Like

I have no issues with ss wire in tc mode on my my rx2/3 mods even when cold. Lock the resistance in when cold and I am good to go at 450f. I have a billow v3+ at 0.19ohm 70w and a goon at 0.29ohm 60w and both vape great.

Thatā€™s great. I had the problem thought it was just me, but have seen it described out and about a few times. Iā€™m just trying to put together the puzzle. Without comparing like for like, etc we canā€™t really compare. However, my hypothesis still stands.

If I gave you a build, would you mind testing for me? I can send you the coils. It would be a great test.