Tech Help Please

Can someone tell me what this is ? Every time I start up my laptop, this appears on my screen. It then takes about 10-15 for my laptop to load up. This will also happen if im on my laptop for more than 45 min. I scanned for viruses and nothing was found. Can someone tell me how to get this out of my system? Thank you

1 Like

That looks like a hardware issue with your screen part in my opinion.

8 Likes

Is it fixable ?

It does look like that. Graphics chip issue or display hardware issue. I’ve had that and had to replace my display a couple times.

5 Likes

Possible, as Phil said. :+1:

5 Likes

Yes, definitely hardware related.

Either Video card, or the actual screen itself is starting to go…

5 Likes

To ensure the graphics card is functioning, you can plug a desktop monitor or TV into the laptop, as most have a standard blue VGA monitor and/or a HDMI output. If the picture looks good on an external display, your graphics card is likely good and the screen is at fault. If you don’t get any picture, keep in mind some laptops require you to press certain function keys on the laptop to activate external display output. If you do that and video still doesn’t display, your graphics card and/or motherboard is likely broken, rather than your screen. https://www.pcworld.com/article/2907078/how-to-replace-a-broken-laptop-screen.html

11 Likes

Do you think i can fix it myself ? As in can buy a part.

2 Likes

Yes, it is possible, but first you have to find the actual problem.

As @anon13011326 pointed out, you can test the vid card to isolate the problem.

7 Likes

The one I had that did that to me was an old HP. It was a ‘parting gift’ from a previous employer, and came with a box of dead ones I was able to cull parts from to keep it alive long after it should have died. Anyway, the monitor was the single most common point of failure; I had to swap it three times for issues similar to that. (Actually, I ran out of monitors which is why it eventually got scrapped). It’s not a hard thing to swap with a few small tools and patience The Wi-Fi antennas usually run up through there, and and the connection to the video card. That’s about all the connections there are.

3 Likes

I’m sure, but if it’s more than three or four years old it may be a better investment to just replace it. You may want to check eBay or Craigslist and see if someone has one for parts, and just scavenge that. It’s a crap-shoot but may be worth it.

4 Likes

Ok, Yeah its about three years old. I may take it to my local tech shop and see what they say.
Thanks Phil

2 Likes

They will either try to get you to commit to a repair, or upsell you into a more expensive model than you need, so hopefully they will just do a cheap or free diagnosis and treat you fairly. But still, be on your toes with repair shops!

3 Likes

How would i test the vid card.? I guess i can look on youtube.

1 Like

David had a nice reply that Obi was referencing.

Oh, and another thing. All my laptops sit on cooling devices and I blow out the dust from the vent areas on them regularly. I highly recommend that! Heat, dust, and moisture are their biggest enemies! Oh, and Microsoft too. :sunglasses: You know what they say… What do computers and air conditioners have in common? They both work great until you open windows…

3 Likes

There could be so many possibilities of what is going wrong…
Could be the video card, your video RAM (whether shared or dedicated), the cable connecting the screen, the screen itself or simply a software issue.

An easy fix to see whether it’s software or not, is to boot up from a Linux Live CD (or USB key). If you have an issue there as well, it’s most likely going to be a hardware issue.
You then have to try and isolate the issue but you’ll need parts to actually check everything. If you’re comfortable doing this yourself, there are always videos on youtube that can guide you in properly disassembling your laptop.
If you’re not comfortable doing this, I advise you to let a professional person have a look at it (would be good if you know anyone who can have a look).

Things like this can be an easy fix, but it can turn out to be very labor intensive or require expensive parts and may end up costing you the price of a new cheap laptop…
If it’s a high end laptop, I’d bring it in for repairs, for a cheap laptop I’d just get a new and updated one.

2 Likes

Does it do this immediately upon boot up or does it do this after you get the HP splash screen and the Windows begins to load? If it happens immediately, it’s OS independent and very likely hardware. Otherwise, it would still be hardware or a doinked up driver. But if I had to make a guess right now with no further info, I’d say it is most likely the display itself. That’s what it has been for me every single time, anyway.

2 Likes

Would not be surprised if it was the ribbon cable in the hinge, as it looks like a laptop. There is some kind of pattern. Could fit with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPD-Link type signalling.

All that being said, you are probably financially better off replacing than fixing for a 3 yo machine.

You might be able to use the laptop with an external screen.

3 Likes

It does it immedialtley on boot and also while iim online. I have to reboot several times during the day, if im on for more than 45 min.

1 Like

I’m going with the display itself on this. Brings back bad memories for me!! But if you can source a cheap one, it really isn’t the hardest thing to swap out.

1 Like