Temperature Control - What is it and how does it work?

I was thinking scotch bar, but whichever, I’m sure it’s a classy one.

Without a doubt sir.

You need to understand that voltage does not equal temperature. All a thermocouple does is read voltage and most people consider a thermocouple to be a thermometer (widely used in industry and science). My point is if you’re going to say that a resistance thermometer doesn’t read temperature, then you need to say that no thermometer reads temperature because they ALL read some property of some material. A mercury thermometer isn’t reading temperature, it is merely displaying the expansion of liquid mercury in a tube.

My point is that what we use in these mods (RTD’s) is indeed an accurate method of determining temperature if it is setup and used properly with the right wire.

As for room temperature, it is usually defined as 20C (68F). The proper way to do it is what the DNA-200 attempts to do – that is measure the room temperature at all times (though it isn’t that accurate because the thermistor is on the board and the board is hotter than room temp). This seems to be a difficult problem to solve, which is where their “case analyzer” comes in. It still isn’t all that accurate after running that analyzer. However, it will only throw off your temp by a few degrees, and in the end it’s not a big deal. We don’t need super precise accuracy, just get us to within 10°F.

Also, you do know that RTD’s are considered one of the gold standards in thermometry right? An RTD is a platinum wire wrapped in a coil. How does it measure temp? By reading the CHANGE IN RESISTANCE of the platinum wire as it heats or cools. Exactly the same thing our mods are doing.

My IPV D2 reads the resistance inaccurately (a bit low). My DNA-200 and my Koopor Mini both agree on the resistance to within a couple of milliohms (DNA might say .184 and the Koopor will say .189 or something). But the IPV D2 might read the same coil at .178 – or close to about 1/100th of an ohm low. This sounds like nothing until you realize that even such a small difference can cause a very noticeable inaccuracy. This causes it to vape cooler than it should. It’s not a massive difference, but noticeable.

Assuming my mod is simply defective and an exception to the rule, another explanation would be your wicking is not up to snuff or your build is not secure (jumping ohms). I can’t emphasize enough how important a secure build is to making TC work properly. You have to have those leads super tight in the posts. You don’t want to snap them, but you want them close to that point. I find that thicker gauge wire helps in this regard. On my favorite decks, I have noticed 26 or higher has a tendency to move around ever so slightly and cause my ohms to jump no matter how tight I get them. 24 gauge solves this problem and is more solid. The downside to 24 gauge is it makes the resistance lower, which can also affect the accuracy (the higher the resistance, the better the accuracy), but it shouldn’t be much of a problem with Ti wire (but can be a big problem with 316/317 SS wire).

A TCM is not a thermometer. Thermometers don’t create heat. The TCM board acts as a thermometer in that it reads resistance and calculates temperature. But the calibration of the set up is in no way precise so the temperature it reads is near to arbitrary; although for our purposes of delivering a satisfying vape and preventing burnt cotton it works like a champ.

What do you think the margin of error is? How do you define accurate?

1 Like

The calibration is based off of data concerning the materials we use. Nickel and Titanium both have very well known and defined TFR curves. As long as the mod is programmed with those values and as long as the user is using the right material (i.e. a pure metal and not an alloy), it will be pretty darn accurate.

I did have a question. I have a TC mod (came with SMOK micro one kit). One thing I dont understand is suppose, If I am using a BVC coil on my nautilus mini which goes up to say 15W, is their any way to increase the warmth of the vape by switching to TC mode while keeping it under the equivalent 15W max?(so that I dont burn the coil but I still get a warmer vape)…

Sorry if this is a very basic question for you guys, but I am just at the learning stage of Vaping and thinking of quitting smoking (although I am doing both side by side since I cant get what I want from vaping :frowning: ) .

It would only help if using a coil made of one of the TC wires such as Nickel, Titanium or Stainless Steel. Kanthal and Nichrome won’t work (current TC technology) with temp control function.

As for getting a “warmer” vape with the Nautilus, I did find these coils and you would be able to use TC with them. I personally don’t care for Nickel but many people use it and are happy with the vape, so perhaps that’s an option for you. And judging by the picture of these coils, they appear to have slightly larger juice holes than the Kanthal ones, so perhaps there is potential here for a warmer vape.

Personally I recommend getting into building your own. If you like the Nautilus but are interested in a warm vape and/or temperature control, there are many great RTA’s out there to choose from, and then you can build your own TC coils and warm things right up.

1 Like

I really appreciate the information. I might order these coils as I wont find this here down under. Also RTAs are something that I am researching right now. I was looking at the Squape X that is going to be released tomorrow. So you think TC coils are better at simulating cigarette type throat hit rather that Watt control(or whatever it is called)?

No, not at all. You get better throat hit with higher PG, Nic, certain flavorings, and to an extent power of the vape. The TC (temperature control) coil recommendation was simply so you’d be able to hit the coil with max power without dry hits…and based on your previous post. What might be cool is if you explain what type experience you’re looking for and then someone could chime in with recommendations. There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here who also may vape more like your style who would also know more about equipment you would like. I know @Amy2 is one person who probably vapes similar to yourself.

For a good while I kept up with what’s new and such, but the past couple of months I’ve really been kinda disengaged from the hobby aside from mixing and vaping. So anything I might recommend could be yesterday’s news.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that mate, I was heading towards the wrong direction.

I think I just met her in one of the threads. thanks for the suggestion.

I will wait for my Nautilus mini to get here first and when I do get a bit of experience with it, I would probably know what kind of gear I would require. Like I said, I tried quitting with sub-ohm which almost made me quit vaping instead :stuck_out_tongue: . Luckily I found topics on this forum which made me give it a second chance. I guess I will get there soon. Thanks for your help mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know I strictly do MTL tanks nothing fancy at all. If they made more , more often I’d buy all kinds but as of now still hanging with the Nauty’s mini and reg and Trition Mini V2 top fill very convenient it can get airy but close the air holes pretty close to being shut and it’s a great MTL tank that offers an excellent Clapton coil in the 1.8 ohm coil which is what it sounds like she needs to try @VapingKrakenVK I began vaping on an 1.8 ohm coil and pretty much still use it as well as a 1.6 ohm it delivers a tight draw that will simulate a cig draw.

I also like the Kanger series but they are all more airyer breezer than the Aspire Nautilus line. I always use their 1.5 ohm coil works well for me.

Ego One mini and mega are a great beginners tank I love their 1.0 ohm coil don’t be fouled by the low number it doesn’t relate to other vendor scales it’s their own type of coil and it takes a lil bit to wick but once it is completely saturated it is a fine vape and quite enjoyable I bet most ppl would enjoy this tank if it weren’t for their name lol most ppl won’t try their products because it’s what they began on but I am glad I gave it a second look.

Other than that I really don’t know what’s cool and up to the minute either. I would continue to vape on my Kanger Protank mini 3s if the coils weren’t becoming more and more increasing ridiculous to get a hold of the 1.8 ohm dual updated heads. I find them don’t get me wrong it just becomes a game to get them at a fair price anymore they used to be like 10$ a box.

@VapingKrakenVK just noticed you got a mini Nautilus this is a great choice tank for what your needs are at this time and may be great for sometime. I began on an even tighter draw tank ( they don’t make anymore ) but anyhow I currently still use the Nautilus mini and reg. Hope this works for you ! I wrote some other suggestions for you ^ up there!!!

1 Like

Hey thanks for the detailed info. I’ll see how I go with the Nautilus. If I was on this forum earlier I wouldn’t have spent so much money on subohm tanks. But oh well guess I learnt my lesson. I don’t care about new gadgets either , anything that will help me get over smoking will be my best friend. I guess all smokers want to quit deep inside them and vaping is the only way I see as an easy way out. You know if there was a guide for specifically for people who want to quit should know about the first gear they should be buying rather than being sold by salesmen at vapestores because only an ex smoker can be the best example by his experience. I know a few friend who tried vaping but went back to cigarettes since they were not getting what they want- simulation of cigarettes through vaping. Hopefully when I get my gear and I feel satisfied enough to fight the cravings I will try to put up a guide of my experience. It’s for people like you guys we are more motivated towards quitting. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These are great points. I’ll hit you with another. Everyone who will vape has a vape style. But people have to try various ways to discover their vape style. I firmly believe that. And while I agree that vape shop sales are geared toward getting you to buy (anything really), there’s no accounting for taste. So if I had been introduced early on to vaping on RTA’s, I doubt I would ever have bought a Nautilus, Kayfun, Aerotank, or any of a number of things I’ve since thrown away. But I had to go down a certain path to discover I prefer a direct lung hit on a rebuildable atty and the convenience of a tank. But it sure would be great to get my money back on all those wasted purchases! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve said this once before, and I’ll say it again, you have some lousy Vape Shops in your area if this is true. Though I can not say there are not Vape Shops even in my area that will try to sell you anything I will still say there is no better place to buy your first Vape. Like anything else you must do your homework and find Vape Shops that TRULY know their shit and TRULY care about their customers.

Very true and going to a Vape Shop and being able to try equipment is the way to go cause you can not take another persons preferences as your own since most likely theirs are different from yours. You must actually try equipment to find your style. You can not do that anywhere but a Vape Shop. Unless you have friends that have tons of equipment and are willing to let you try them. [quote=“SthrnMixer, post:56, topic:43899”]
But it sure would be great to get my money back on all those wasted purchases!
[/quote]

Unfortunately we all have done this. Especially when we buy online. It sounds good by description but sucks by definition. How many times has this happened to all of us, but, it’s part of the learning process.

Please be aware that there are both good and bad Vape Shops, not just bad shops. If it’s a bad shop, walk out and find a good one. They are out there…

3 Likes

Believe me, I could take you to some shops that would make you change that position. I’ll bet you good money that if you visited every shop in your area (assuming there are many) you’d be disgusted with what you found. Now that doesn’t mean I’m down on vape shops, only that it’s a lot like finding your vaping style. You have to go to enough shops to learn the difference between good and bad…between ones who “TRULY care about their customers” and ones just wanting to make sales. I have found a couple here that are good but it took a lot of trial and error. To me what makes a good vape shop is for the employees to be happy not selling anything it it means selling someone something they won’t be happy with. People who are that ethical and discerning are hard to come by.

2 Likes

I’ll tell you guys a bit about my experience. Due to crazy work loads I smoke about 1.5 packs a day, which I know is very bad for me and also at the same time costing me shit ton of money. I think most smokers out there know that they are harming themselves and want to quit, but the way out is too hard for their busy lives. Similarly, I want to quit aswell and the only reason I wanted to get into vaping is because I heard a friend of mine quit this way
Now, like most busy people, sometimes it’s very hard to do an extensive research on a product that I would like to buy, so we go to a shop and rely on their good nature to get us what we want. When I was taking my baby steps at a vape store, I told them my story on how I want to quit nd bla bla…their suggestion was a tfv4 kit that comes with a SMOK mod. I bought it thinking that’s all I am gonna need. But my expectation was that I would be getting something that would help me fight cravings. Now we all know subohm tanks are a big no-no when it comes to people who are trying to quit, speaking generally. I didn’t stop smoking that day as subohm vaping was like breathing air tbh. So I went back to the store and this time I get another tank sub ohm aswell, I still didn’t give up( while smoking too), I went back again got another tank. Most people would not waste their time so desperately like me, I have friends who tried vaping to quit but could not because I believe they faced the same problem, they did not have the right guide.

So I tell you from experience, vape shops should be educating people who are trying to stay away from smokes. Now I will also have to agree there will be good shops and bad shops too. My experience was with a bad shop and that doesn’t mean all shops are like this. the only reason I bought a Nautilus was that I did do an extensive research, but you know most people would not have time to do that. I must emphasize that, higher ranked guys in this forum should come up with a proper guide for smokers who are trying to quit through vaping. Something that would directly lead to the guide if anyone ends up searching about it. I haven’t found a proper guide so far tbh, I had to do extensive research bit by bit. Sorry this is a long post but I felt time telling my story in case someone could find this helpful.

You make some excellent points. Let me go in reverse though.

I think most people could generally agree that a smoker trying to quit cigarettes stands a better chance using vape gear that most closely resembles their smoking experience. But again it’s as much about the individual as anything. Still, a lot can be said about the value of satisfying the physical, chemical and mental urges of cigarette addiction. So if there were to be a guide, my vote would be to recommend all new vapers a kit like a eVic VTC Mini and Nautilus Mini. It’s a few steps above many starter kits but still in that range where a tighter draw, lower power and higher nic can come together to make success more likely. I see you have the Nautilus. I would recommend 12 - 18 mg Nicotine for you for a while, and when using the Nautilus I would also aim for 50/50 VG/PG so it will be thin enough to wick properly.

As for you buying those subohm tanks…don’t get rid of them just yet. I vaped on the “small stuff” for 2 years before I graduated to sub ohms and then landed at RTAs. Who knows, you may never like them. But if you do find you like it then you’re already set. And with that TFV4, you can also get RBA decks and build your own coils, so it’s a good one that can last you many years.

But as for your habit. No one will ever quit until they make the decision to stop. I’ve been free of the nasties a good long while now and still think about lighting up fairly often. And I’m a very weak person when it comes to my vices, so the fact I’ve been able to stay smoke free is to me the greatest testament to how well vaping works. Please give that some thought. Start where you’ll be most successful - the Nautilus might be it. Hit the nic level that satisfies. Once you manage the nicotine then you only have the physical and mental addiction to overcome. Well the vaping pretty much handles the physical as you still are moving your hand to your face…the brain doesn’t care what’s in that hand as long as it’s the source of more nicotine. Yeah, kinda sleezy ain’t it? So the only thing left is the mental part. And YOU are the only one who can decide you’re done with tobacco. Make that decision and the rest might just fall into place.

3 Likes

I had some experiences as well. It really comes down to customer service and selection across the board. If you only sell drippers , RTA, RDA and max vg juice chances are your customers are only DLH customers and not MTL I’ve literally been looked at like I was a grandma when I asked if they had any 1.8 ohm nautilus coils pretty common coil it was like crickets chirping…nothing then oh sorry we don’t carry those. Not a single Kanger coil carried over 0.5 ohm and that’s happened to me on more than one occasion. So yes I agree with both you and Ringling vape shops can be your best and worst interest it is up to us to do our homework prior to spending your time and money in them thou and that’s what I do now.

I haven’t had much luck lately so it’s almost a big deal when I come across a vape shop that actually has a selection of gear and juice however Im down w/ Max Vg juices but not everyone is.

2 Likes

This is so true. As you said it’s as much about the individual as anything. This makes it very difficult to design a quit smoking guide since people differ in their needs and quite frankly their desires.

The first question I ask a customer is “Do you want to quit smoking, or do you want to blow clouds”. A good vape shop will have equipment to do both and allow the customer to try both before they make a decision. I personally have a few personal and shop setups I use and will allow the customer to try them. I show them the difference between Subohm and Above ohm vaping with this equipment.

Evic Mini would work, but as we all know the tank is the most important thing once you have decent battery power. I recommend 2 different tanks for quitting smoking. One being, yep you guessed it, the Nautilus Mini and the other, the Triton Mini. The best in my opinion is the Triton Mini using the Nautilus coil. The Triton can be constricted as much as the Nautilus but also can be given more air should the customer want it. My personal preference is just a tad bit more air than the Nautilus Mini can deliver. Just a update, the Nautilus coil no longer requires 50/50 blend. I use 70/30 and if I remember correctly @Amy2 surprised the heck out of me by saying she uses 80/20 in hers. Correct me if I’m wrong @Amy2.

True that, that day may come that he’ll want to use them. Just not for starting out. Can’t believe someone would sell a TFV4 to someone trying to quit smoking as a starter kit. That sounds like something a 16 year old would recommend to quit smoking.

Again, true that. If someone is not successful quitting the stinkies once they have a decent setup then they didn’t really want to quit. You MUST want to quit and just plain make your mind up that you are gonna quit.

I made the decision to quit. I still sometimes can’t believe it’s true. I quit smoking after 47 years. Vaping is the shiznick !!!

2 Likes