The banana runts molecule. (Flavor science)

The science of aromas is blowing my mind!!
Do yourself a favour and look up the science of food pairing. The reason certain foods go well together is because they share similar Flavor compounds. It’s no suprise pineapple and vanilla go together…but the reason is because both contain vanillin. Mind blown! A good book that uses this science is “the Flavor bible”. Almond extract smells a lot like cherries…guess why? They have similar aroma compounds. As a chef, I already know what flavours fit together. But now I know why. Science is cool.

11 Likes

Oh right…the link, lol

5 Likes

The Flavor Bible was up a lot earlier - here’s an older thread:

There are tons more - Flavor science is awesome :smiley:

8 Likes

It’s so interesting, I’ve been reading for about 3 days now…my wife is giving me dirty looks. Lol

5 Likes

Only one thing worth pairing with a banana and that is the bin. Nastiest food on the planet :fearful::cold_sweat::scream:

1 Like

Hey! Don’t mock bananas - even cats love 'em!

10 Likes

Don’t blame bananas, blame isoamyl acetate!

1 Like

I think as well as a huge dislike for the devils fruit, it is almost a phobia as well, I can’t touch them, watch anybody eat one or talk/think about them without a sickly, queasy feeling coming over me. I thought I was a bit weird, but evidently there are others out there, like me. who have a real problem with this fruit.

One of the reasons, I turned to mixing my own over 4 years ago. I knew what flavours were going into my liquids. Too many times I bought a pre made liquid and would convince myself rightly or wrongly, it contained banana and after doing my best over the top reaction, chucked it straight in the bin.

As for Underannes gif I don’t like cats either, So it is a double whammy for me that picture.

3 Likes

Oh, I’m sorry about the cat gif then… :pensive: Hope you’ll feel better soon.

I don’t know how common it is to pair bananas with cats either really…

5 Likes

Very much a personal like-dislike food. I love them and the wife thinks they are one of the most disgusting things on the planet.
Just the reverse with Broccoli. She loves it and I find it just totally nasty like a rotting can of mowed lawn clippings.

4 Likes

Broccoli smells horrible from the microwave but at least it doesn’t taste like it smells. Cauliflower smells equally rotten when cooked in the microwave. Might have to toss a bag of that at the work microwave and walk away.:grinning:

C’mon. I understand plain broccoli (I personally really like broccoli, but I understand it if you don’t). But throw some cheese and bacon on some broccoli and it’s delicious. Cheese and bacon make near anything delicious.

2 Likes

Try not cooking it in a microwave😉 Cauliflower, I roast the hell out of it, blackened and crispy. Hell, try a deep fryer if you get a chance. Delicious! Broccoli only needs a quick blanch in boiling water, maybe sauté in a little butter. Too many people cook broccoli too long, and it starts to smell like farts, cauliflower too if you boil/microwave it. Both Vegetables release hydrogen sulfide when cooked, which just so happens to be the very same chemical compound responsible for giving flatulence its odor.
So ya, it smells like farts.

4 Likes

The broccoli I put in the microwave was the steam in the bag type. I’ll shorten the time next go around or might try steamer. Might try cauliflower deep tried. Sounds interesting. Thanks for the tips!

2 Likes

Deep fried cauliflower is life changing! Lol

3 Likes

In a tempura batter or dropped in naked?

Just as it is, toss in some salt when it comes out.
Mix in some deep fried kale…boom! Salad!

1 Like

Ha. See there is just no accounting for individual taste. Even Bacon and Strong Cheese isn’t enough to hide the taste of Broccoli. Now you just have some ruined Bacon. :slight_smile: Is that even possible ?
Now Cauliflower I love in all forms from raw plain to dipped to baked to deep fried to ? it’s all good.

2 Likes

you know that’s just a joke beggin’ to come out right?

3 Likes

I haven’t actually seen that been done irl, but I know some breeders have specialized in Bananacats like this one:

And no, not even my twisted mind went there, Lostmarbles lmao

4 Likes