The encouragement that beginners need, opposed to dictating what they do

Is it any good? Oh wait, u just made, havent tested but made it public already, kudos! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Guys, this issue has been debated for as long as I’ve been here, probably longer. There are so many layers to the problem that there just won’t be a magic bullet type solution. The only reasonable thing I’ve seen suggested is, over on the calc side the moment a new user places their cursor in the “add a flavor” BEFORE they type a THING to have a pop up directing them to read the pinned guide on selecting the proper flavors. This should not be mandatory but most people want to do things properly and will follow the guide if they know how.

This will not help with people who are convinced that the bottle they’re holding in their hand is the name of the flavor they should enter. I’m thinking mainly of TPA = TFA = Signature = Flavor Apprentice…on and on. Recently, Bullcity had to change the name of Real Flavors Shamrock Shake to “Minty Green Shake” even though the RF site still lists it as Shamrock. Should I change my flavor stash to this new name? No! Will future users enter this new name at some point? YES! You know they will and they should not be made to feel stupid for doing so. The only way to help alleviate this second layer of the problem is to accumulate a list of known duplicates for people to follow.

Another layer is people who make their own flavors, extracts NETs, stones etc. There won’t be any standardized way to label these things aside from the moniker (DIY) or (NET) or (Stone) or anything else you can think of.

Bottom line is, it seems opposite of what DIY is all about, to try and enforce too much restriction on who can add what to the database. We can work together to help newer folks see the advantages of sticking to standardized naming conventions but it shouldn’t be mandatory and they shouldn’t be made to feel stupid for doing something unorthodox. Yes, it’s a mess but freedom is messy.

9 Likes

That’s why the OP deleted his recipes and left.

5 Likes

I guess I’m just kinda simple. If I eat someone that disagrees with me I don’t leave the forum. I just take a couple of Tums and I’m fine.

12 Likes

I didn’t see the comments he (or she) received on his (or her) recipes so maybe things got snippy? Maybe something got heated in PM that none of us knows about? The only thing I can see is the discussion here and if this was enough to send him (or her) scurrying off then they (PC pronoun) probably shouldn’t be on the internet anyway.

All in all I’m sorry this person left. I hope they come back someday.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I have a sign on my door:

All my guests bring me happiness.
Some by coming.
Some by going.

13 Likes

and if this was enough to send him (or her) scurrying off then they (PC pronoun) probably shouldn’t be on the internet anyway.

All in all I’m sorry this person left. I hope they come back someday.

6 Likes

Did I mention it would be creating a new data base as it develops? One which would more accurately reflect the way things have advanced. And dump a lot of bad data that exists.

I know on the surface this would be an unpopular idea but likely a better idea than than playing the little dutch boy and trying to plug up leak after leak (The dam is breaking). BTW I am a little dutch boy :wink:

3 Likes

Considering the amount of bogus and outdated data on the main ELR site that’s really not a bad idea. Then individuals can choose where they want to participate.

A little something I saw posted earlier…

6 Likes

One thing that may help new visitors is to have the pinned topics in the Beginners catagory linked on the Recipe side. The pinned topics here on the forum are cleaner and more in depth then the Guide section is.

All of the pinned topics here are a great read to new and old mixers.

8 Likes

So true. But that’s why more of us should be dropping a comment on them with the link to the guide so they know it does exist.

8 Likes

I never really looked at the guide on the recipe side, until now. Links to forum threads such as The ELR Users Guide to Creating Your Flavor Stash may be useful but was created more recently. The first clickable link in the guide there is the forums tho. This being another solution to avoid mistakes tho not eliminate them. We shall see what he has up his sleeve for a better one.

6 Likes

I’m absolutely sure that @TorturedZen didn’t mean absolutely anything but help! He did it with me and I’m a senior mixer, his only intention is to help you and whoever looks at your recipe be able to replicate it the right way.
So, he’s not biased whether you’re a beginner or advanced…:joy::rofl:

10 Likes

here, here, on the yearly top 50-100
a lot of new flavors
a lot of new recipes

3 Likes

@Pro_Vapes WOW, perfect example.

10 Likes

I think this thread should never be closed by admins, because it’s consisted of what the majority of mixers in this forum think about the flavour database in the recipe side.

New members should be directed to this thread to understand why @TorturedZen and everyone else do what they do concerning the database.

8 Likes

Actually I think you hit on another problem. Maybe part of this whole pack of pickles is due to the fact that any ingredients you put in a recipe get automatically added to the DB. It’s highly likely that a good number of “ingredients” were never meant to be added. That one above reads more like personal notes than a community-intended concentrate. As if the recipe author intended the name to be a personal reference for himself so he could remember what he did later, never realizing that it was put into the flavor concentrate DB for all to see. Reminds me of some of the cryptic notes we see on some concentrates that don’t make sense. Maybe there should be some sort of fail-safe in the recipe creator that prevents ‘unapproved’ recipe components from automatically writing to the DB.

10 Likes

I had to go through the flavor list to add my new ones to my stash today because of capitalization and name differences. Absolute pita. There should only be one listing for Lemon Lime Capella.

9 Likes

This isn’t true. I added 9 flavors to my stash today and none of the drop down names were on the most used titles for a single one. There should only be one for any given flavor. I do completely understand why there isn’t but does not negate the fact it is confusing and a pita. Was very frustrating for me here at first and in print corrections can come off as terse.

6 Likes