First off I apologize for reviving a dead forum topic here, secondly thank you MRA for your understanding of where I was heading with theflavorwiki.net project.
As with all the other comments which accurately describe the problems of the project. Working with HerrHut & KraftyKiwi we did get a lot done. There are probably about 2000 or more concentrates on there and that was really the problem. Mediawiki, the software isn’t really designed well as a database, using plugins we were able to add some database functionality for pulling information and being able to show information in very cool ways. HerrHut did an amazing job with a prototype that allowed for some very in depth and complex relationships with how the pages could interact, but due to my own mismanagement and poor focus those features were quickly dropped. Cool things like being able to show you flavor concentrates that have a lot of volatiles that other flavor concentrates had.
And also including built in MSDS information in every concentrate.
On adding tools to store and query information there still wasn’t really a good way to update or remove or move information, it was very much a pain to do any small maintenance across multiple concentrates. So all of it fell together as any change got just ridiculous to do.
I saw some people mention the main flavors should at least be filled out, and very true they should be and we did get a few main ones very well detailed and nicely formatted, but you clear 2 and boom 2000 more to go.
Also additionally the information we had available we were able to pull off reddit, with the original reviewers permission. /u/MysticRose, I believe I remember requesting your permission thinking specifically that at the time you were putting out a lot of Purlium reviews that I enjoyed reading, I think we just ended up using a handful of reviewers as test case due to how reviews were formatted. Your reviews were definitely “on the list” so to speak. It’s just that I didn’t do a great job directing or planning or managing, so that list would multiply in size every single day.
So anyways, I apologize for all the wasted energy on the project, as MRA mentioned I actually no longer vape as it was really negatively affecting my throat, and just recently I was able to completely rid myself of the want to smoke. Plus extra work I’ve been doing on a local music scene project, along with building a family, all my time for this project fell apart. And now at this point I actually will likely not have the money to keep the server up and running.
Thank you guys though for your good wishes and support in one way or another. and hopefully someday I can get some of you to paint the next fence I build, hopefully a more well managed fence at that.
EDIT: Also just wanted to mention that one of the key goals of the project was to be able to present health information simply to news organizations, instead of just saying “vape oil bad stuff” they could read a page that taught them about the finer details of volatiles and how they’ve been discovered to affect some people, like weird allergies to some volatiles, or weird histories like fructose & FW Yellow Cake, DAAPs and that.