Tired of remixing recipes

Good God Man, stand up for yourself! Just say no!

5 Likes

rotflmao i went from 6 foot tall to 2 feet high while i read this lol

5 Likes

in other words " grow some balls olin " lol is that what you meant @Maureeenie

4 Likes

No, I mean be assertive. By no means did I tell you to grow objects you already have, sir!

7 Likes

im just giving you shit lol i took no offense to it just reminded me of myself telling others to grow a pair

5 Likes

My kids tried to get me to make liquid ā€œfreeā€ for their friend.

Free is not free, they live 2200 miles way. It cost me $9.25 to ship them liquid as it is. Yes, I have maternal guilt for smoking in front of my daughter for 20 years. Will I pay penance making liquid for her and her husband? Sureā€¦ of course I will so I donā€™t go to hell ā€¦but make it for their friend? No, noā€¦ I donā€™t feel that guilty. Not happening.

6 Likes

I charge my coworkers for juice. agree to a standard price and stick with that. Of course when i figure out something new i give out plenty of free samples and help them out if they are low or forget juice.

6 Likes

@Walt3

10 Likes

Do you mic each piece for recording?

1 Like

Yes mmeph. I am just a drummer, but due to time constraints, lugging gear, etc., am working on a ā€œdo it from home and send itā€ setup. BIG learning curve when trying to learn the board, micā€™ing, software, mixdowns, etc. Iā€™ve witnessed 2 and 3 mic recordings of big and small kits that sounded outstanding. I however did not have the good luck, and went with close micā€™ing all drums, w./ 2 overheads. Have recorded before with 2 mics on kick and snare, but actually have better luck with single micā€™ing them now.

Appologies for jacking a mixing thread, but I had to spam Walt3 as he DOES know whatā€™s HEā€™S doing hehe.

1 Like

Wow! simply Wow! What a kit! I canā€™t just step in and place mics and go on a rig like that. I would be adjusting for quite some time Iā€™m sure, lol. I would love to hear it when you are satisfied with a recording!

2 Likes

Have to see if I have good project file floating around. Lotta playing, but itā€™s very had to be behind the kit, AND, tweaking behind the board at the same time, heheā€¦
The kitā€™s is big, and as you can see, the room is not an iso booth, so dealing with some splashback, bleed, and some reflections, BUT, no phasing issues. Biggest issue (at this moment in time) is Iā€™m loosing the (3) splashes in the mix with my standard OHā€™s. May have to drop in a spot mic for them, BUT, itā€™s not like I know what Iā€™m doing yet lol.

Iā€™ll bet itā€™s difficult. Glad to hear there are no phasing issues. ā€œTuningā€ a room is an art for sure. Iā€™ve got my mixing room in pretty good shape but that was after a lot of trial and error. You can use the pink noise test on the Presonus to help with everything above 200hz. Below 200hz all bets are off. Purely trial and error with bass trapping IMHO.

1 Like

Roger that. Some days the brutal learning curve doesnā€™t hurt so bad, other dayā€™s, hehe, itā€™s worse. I donā€™t seem to have any room issues, and depending on what I do with the OHā€™s (not having a dedicated room mic) I am getting good results, adding some ā€œlivelyā€ into the mix. Big kits can (sometimes) be fun to play, but suck to move, re-skin, tune, and mic for sure !!!

2 Likes

If youā€™re good at something, never do it for free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No doubt you are in the thick of it. Drums are the hardest and most intriguing to mic up. I canā€™t pretend to be any kind of expert. Just understanding the challenges is quite the undertaking. Our drummer has moved to an electronic kit for live performance which has made live one hell of a lot easier. Obviously for the musicians in the band the sound is not ā€œtrueā€ but I am convinced that the average audience attendee has no idea what they are listening to. They seem to respond more to the ā€œIā€™ve gotta crap my pantsā€ look on the guitar players face than anything sonic happening in the performance.

1 Like

:laughing:

3 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boat mixing-wise. A few of my friends now want me to mix them juice. I settled on a ā€œfriend priceā€ of $15 for 100ml with a 120ml dropper bottle (refillable and refundable) and $10 for a fillup. Covers my expense and helps keep them off the analogs. By my calculations, at those rates, I will break even on my investment in the summer of 3045. Lol! But I wont be constantly losing more by helping out. Gotta feed the rabbit in the bottom of that deep hole that is this wonderful hobby.

4 Likes

I was noticing people charging $10 for 30 ml. wow I am thinking about charging more now.

I charge $15 for 90ml. $8 for 60ml

3 Likes

I just charge $5 per 30ml. Makes things cut and dry. And Iā€™ll take off a dollar for every glass bottle they return, which is a great deal for them because the bottles arenā€™t even worth a dollar. Lol But that way I donā€™t always have to be buying more bottles.

(i guess I wrote that already in this thread and forgotā€¦ :laughing: )

4 Likes