Tobacco Recipes

Give it a taste in 2 weeks. It might be ok… there’s no DNB in it.

Gotcha… A 4 week steep can be kinda rough without taking a taste every now and then.

1 Like

This thread has me thinking a lot about tobacco. My absolute favorite RYO tobacco is called Norwegian Shag. Just by looking at the description, is it possible to recommend a tab or blend of tabs that might be able to get me into the ballpark:

“Tobacco Selection: A quality blend consisting of milder Virginia tobaccos, some air-cured Burley and fine Oriental tobaccos.
Tobacco cut: Extra fine cut.
Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: Light aromatic – American taste. Mild.”

http://www.sjcigars.com/psns-prod.html

1 Like

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but this quest is a bit of a needle in a haystack. :pensive:

My fav RYO for years and years was Peter Stokkebye London Export. I had the same quest, but nothing really came close to the Stokkebye shag. So, I processed a NET using the real thing. It turned out tasting delightful and it was my virgin journey into the world of NET.

As I remember, the Amsterdam and Norwegian shag was a bit on the stout side; rough on my throat and lungs. To me, the London was the mildest of the bunch; good thing, 'cause I usually polished off 1.5oz. in 2 days.

NET is not hard to do and it will give you the taste you desire. There are a few threads on ELR concerning NET…the search bar will get you there. :wink:

1 Like

That looks pretty interesting and a lot easier than trying to find a tab flavoring. I didn’t look through the entire thread @Pro_Vapes made, but I would assume there is nic in the extraction. If so, is there a way to know what you’re getting? Or maybe the nic burns off in the crock pot? IDK… maybe the idea of nic burning off doesn’t make sense. I’m just spit-balling here, so give me a break! :smirk:

1 Like

This NET process will give you the flavor you want, but way less coil gunk in the end. It is by far my favorite NET method. With heated extractions, though the flavor may be a bit stronger, unless you have an excellent filtering system going, you will need to do a cotton change and coil burn after 4 to 6ml worth of juice. It’s just the nature of the beast, but that 6ml worth of vape is awesome! :grinning:

1 Like

latakia and dark it’s no good…shade virgina cubanSupreme dusk and maxx-blend is good…

1 Like

I was doing some tank mixing, with some mixes I had on hand. A dropper of this, two droppers of that, half a dropper of something else. It’s an affliction, I know. But it’s so much fun!

I stumbled upon one that made me say wow. I immediately wrote down the mixes I blended together. I tried to duplicate it this morning, using what I thought (hoped) would be a close approximation of the percentages.

I have high hopes for this one. We’ll see how it turns out, after a little time in the bottle.

1 Like

Mad Scientist You! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I see you’re using toasted marshmallow for a bit of sweetener. I’ve been going a bit heavy as of late and about to branch out to adding a bit of something sweet (other than cotton candy/ethyl maltol) to knock off the edges a bit.

What else are you using lately to take off the rough edges?

1 Like

I go through phases, with the sweeteners. Not mixing the dessert, pastry, fruit mixes, I didn’t have much ammo, in the sweetening department, when I started. I tried to think of flavors that I thought would compliment tobacco.

I started out with FA Caramel Candy, FA Maple Syrup, FA Toasted Marshmallow, FA Brown Sugar, and FA Black Honey Tobacco. Of those, I’ve used the Toasted Marshmallow & Black Honey a bit, recently. The Maple Syrup & Brown Sugar have always been hard for me to get the amounts right, for what I expect them to add, if that makes sense. That could be me though. I usually tread lightly with the sweet additives. I want to know it’s there, without standing out. Like you said, take the rough edges off.

I’ve had good luck with the FW Bavarian Cream too. I recently added FLV Sweet Coconut, FW Hazelnut, and Hangsen Australian Chocolate. I haven’t used them a lot, but I like what the Coconut & Hazelnut add. To me, they are ‘smooth’ flavors. I like what they add to tobaccos. The Australian Chocolate was a crap shoot, I didn’t have anything chocolate, and there were sooo many to choose from, I took a stab in the dark. I’m still fiddling with that one, looking for the right strength. It might not have one, for all I know, but I’ll keep trying.

I have two tobaccos, that I really don’t treat as tobaccos. I use them in light amounts, as sweeteners. INW Vanilla for Pipe, and the previously mentioned FW Black Honey. The vanilla and the honey in them are just too potent and take over, long before I get to anything that resembles tobacco. I do like them both, though, to add a little sweetness. The Black Honey is really strong. I keep that really low.

I don’t have any Cotton Candy, or EM in my stash. I guess I always gravitated towards sweet flavors, vs just sweet sweet. Maybe I should give them a try in the future.

1 Like

BAM! I think I nailed the Doc Hump on the first try. It’s really good.

Should get even better with a little steeping.

3 Likes

Yay you! :grinning:

Say, was INW Magic mix called something else at one point?

The Magic Mix I’m using is Hangsen. Maybe INW had / has one as well.

Edit: From what I found in a search, Hangsen used to call the Magic Mix, Fortune Strike.

1 Like

That was it! Hangsen, not Inawera! Thanks for the redirect on that… Just got to get me some HS MM!

I’ve got the INW Fortuna strike, but I doubt seriously it’s the same flavor! :thinking: It’s been a while since I mixed with that one…I should revisit it.

1 Like

I find Magic Mix to be on the mild mannered side, similar to Hangsen’s No 5, Desert Ship, & Turkish. They are all a little different, but to my unrefined taste buds, they share similar tobacco roots, so to speak. Maybe they share the same base flavor. They’re all ‘not in your face’ tobaccos. They, along with Highway or Tab Blended form the base for most of my mixes. I just add smaller amounts of other tobaccos, like Gold Ducat, Arabic, Deluxe, etc to my base, to ‘steer the personality’ of the mix, in one direction or the other.

I’m really enjoying another one of my tank mixing ‘finds’ that I converted to a real recipe.

Magic Mix - 2%
No 5 - 2%
Arabic - 1%
Ry4 Double - 1%

I haven’t figured out a name for it yet. I’ve been picking names from a list of Dick Tracy villians, for my creations. lol

1 Like

@Kinnikinnick What are you thoughts on Pipe Tobacco (EF)? I quite like it as well as Vanilla Tobacco (EF). Cracking the bottle on PT (EF) is like cracking a fresh bag of real pipe tobacco. These were the only two that i received from them but i am in serious like with them, like almost ready to go steady kind of like…

Am i off base here?

1 Like

Nope! You’re getting the tobacco worm, which is awesome. I found the EF PT much more enjoyable than the VT; perhaps because the PT had a bit more body. The more I gravitated to the straight tobacco side of things, the more I like “in your face” or bold bodied tobacco vapes.

I was thinking about playing around with the EF PT, FLV Black Cherry and INW Cavendish to see if I can polish a nice mellow pipe tobacco combo.

I’ve been doing cigar flavors lately; might be a time for a break on those??? I’m glad you’re liking the EF tobaccos; there are a handful out of the 13 which are keepers. :wink:

1 Like

P.S. My notes on a bunch of them are listed on the mix site; still need to complete a few I’ve neglected to write tasting notes. :pensive:

1 Like

The tobaccos were my favorites, i wish i had gotten the whole line of them. The fruits were pretty decent but i have moved to all MF fruits, the coffees were pretty weak yet good and the Vanilla Custard, well… VC V1 4L. hehe.

The Pipe Tobacco smells so fantastic and is a pretty smooth vape, smell like what my old neighbor used to smoke when i was a kid. Brings back the memories.

Ill get my notes up too pretty quick here, then i need to finish up the LB stuff.

EDIT: It would be great to be able to single out flavoring companies on the recipe site. It would make things much easier.

My first ever Tobacco recipe. And it is so good thanks to all the posts made by the people in this thread that helped me gather the info needed to put this together.

Bacco Butternut

Ingredient %
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% 0.3
Butterscotch (Flavorah) 1.25
RY4 Double (TPA) 7.5
Toasted Marshmallow (TPA) 1
Vanilla Shisha (INAWERA) 2
Walnut (FA) 1
Whiskey (FA) 0.8

Flavor total: 13.85%

Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!
3 Likes