Toxic Metals in E-Cigarette Vapors

Notice the metals the found were CHROMIUM, MANGANESE, and NICKEL.

Google composition of 316SS. 16-18% chromium and 10-15% nickel. What you must understand is SS and Ti dont corrode for ENTIRELY different reasons. SS is an alloy, Ti is an element.

The iron in SS does not corrode due to the presence of Chromium. 316 is widely praised as the most corrosion resistant, and if you pull up the table of SS alloys you will find 316 has the most chromium. Corrosion resistance in steels generally goes with the chromium content. This is why I have avoided SS until recently. After using SS, I now avoid it because it is shitty compared to kanthal and Ti. It sizzles after the hit, it ramps slower, wears my builds out 4x faster AND contains a large amount of chromium which passivates it against corrosion.

Ti is actually EXTREMELY reactive. It will burn in air. Titanium powder has been used for decades as solid rocket fuel by the Russians. I have personally burned a few hundred dollars of Ti nanopowder just for fun.

That extreme reactivity doesnt cause our wires to blow. Why? Because the instant reaction with oxygen results in the formation of an extremely adherent oxide that prevents further reaction with oxygen by the metal deeper in the bulk. The oxide seals the surface with what is essentially a thin ceramic.

Nanopowders are all surface and no volume, which is why they combust. Put that same ultra-reactive surface on a larger hunk of metal and the bulk metal is protected from corrosion by the surface oxide…the mechanism by which chromium protects iron in stainless alloys is simply not comparable. Anyone inclined to read your links, which are great, thank you, should probably read up on the actual composition of the alloys of wires. Kanthal also has a lot of chrome as well as does nichrome.

I always reserve the right to be wrong, but anyone that really cares about inhaling toxic metals, and chromium is particularly bad, should be using Ti.

Here is an old thread with more info:

7 Likes

I’ve been using Ti coils exclusively for nearly 2 years if not more. One other benefit I’ve noticed is it’s longevity. I may have changed 3 coils last year, and even then it was from me deforming the coils while cleaning and not from metal degradation.

I use the 22g Ti coils and I’m able to do a minimal dry burn and brush off the crud and reuse them. I’ve learned to let them cool before brushing so I don’t deform the coil.

3 Likes

I should add Ti brings its own sets of issues. The worst of which (in my humble and ignorant opinion, I dont claim to know everything) is that if you blow a high power build in a big RDA…and Ti is more prone to this than other metals…it can light your RDA on fire.

I would also say that there is some really crappy Ti wire out there. KBee Vapes with a bee and purple sticker being the very worst I have seen. Its flat out dangerous with hot spots everywhere, a rough damaged surface, and filthy with God knows what. Please dont buy it.

Ti is really sensitive to being bent or worked, especially if its been heated. So be very careful rewicking. Id say do not rewick a Ti build. If you use hemp wick, you can reuse thevwick when your coils get crusty. Anyway, bending Ti can cause the resistance to increase near the bend resulting in a hotspot that can blow when fired.

As always, YMMV…do your own research, fact check me. Take responsibility for your own safety. Im a random internet yahoo. OP, good on you for looking into this.

4 Likes

Your experience got me using it long ago IIRC.

3 Likes

Myself and several others as well , @Pro_Vapes DeepWater build is awesome!

3 Likes

OK, here we go again… Please note that this “study” :
was funded by the Institute for Global Tobacco Control,

We have previously discussed extensively the topic of “junk science” … Please see the many references in this following link to the thread that tries to help everyone understand that so-called “public heath studies” are very rarely real science. Investigator bias is rampant in low quality “studies” whose main purpose is to write grant funding to dip into, what has become, a billion dollar well of publicly funded anti-tobacco efforts by the NIH and others.

5 Likes

I’d be lying if I said I use Ti wire because it’s the safest. I’ve tried pretty much every wire out there and Ti just gives the best flavor for me.

I never realized how much metal taste I got from some wires until I tried Ti with a zero metal taste. I feel I get a lot purer vape with Ti.

EDIT: If you have concerns here’s a previous post from 2015 about wire safety…

7 Likes

what is every ones opinion regarding power mode ( watts ), vaping between 40 and 60 watts , which metal is best for this situation , im looking for opinions ty

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s a Titanium wire circle jerk…

2 Likes

Just curious what mods you use, I hear/read there are an awful lot of mods that don’t do TC so well. That’s the thing that scares me a bit about using Ti…
What you’re saying about all other metals tasting of metal (I get that from Ka, not from SS), it does make me curious to give it a try.

1 Like

DNA 60 is what you are looking for.

1 Like

Doesn’t the power you use completely depend on what coils, mod and atty you’re using? I can make coils that really don’t like that much of power and others that barely produce vapor on the same. And some attomizers are just not made for small tiny coils while others don’t like the big ones. And not all mods have the same power delivery either.

I usually vape dual coils, 2x26g SS wrapped in 38g or 40g SS, about 7 wraps 3mm id between 65-75W or 200-230C (on a DNA250, make that 250C for a similar experience on a wismec at 70-80W).
Every time I use Ka, I get a nasty metallic flavor and I still don’t trust TC on mods well enough to give Ti or Ni a try (although I’m curious).

3 Likes

Won’t do for me, 3 batteries or more for me :crazy_face:
But I guess my DNA250 should do. Wouldn’t trust my Wismec with it though…

2 Likes

Im more concerned you are using power mode…yuck. To first order I think @Pro_Vapes attitude is most appropriate. Wire is wire. Second order its about individual priorities.

For me Ti tastes best, is safest, my Ti/hemp builds last 4 months, frequently without so much as a rinse of water…and thats running on LiPo PWM mods at well above 150W.

I can only encourage you to read up and experiment for yourself. I dont give a flying foxtrot what anyone uses…its their choice, right? Best obviously varies by person and application. At 60W maybe youll prefer SS…but at 180W the sizzling of SS is unacceptable for my puposes. The sizzling of 18 & 20ga Ti is also unacceptable to me.

I remembered @Cutlass92 uses smaller gauge SS to avoid cooking his builds with sizzling IIRC.

3 Likes

Somebody correct me if i’m wrong but DNA 60 is the most advanced and accurate chip you can get currently. (Also one of the most expensive)
But people who swear by TC usually use DNA 60 boards.

All comes down to coil resistance 30AWG is much thinner than 22AWG so it is of course much lower resistance.

I have noticed that my single battery Pico has much less ‘kick’ to it than a 3 battery mod.
I’m just guessing it’s because both chips are cheap and inaccurate but the 3 battery device is in series and so on.

1 Like

All the DNA boards should be reasonably precise. But the DNA 60 has been tested to be the most accurate.

1 Like

I’m not up to date with current advances in hardware but I always thought the YiHi chips were even better than the DNAs (or at least as good). Would’ve liked to try one but they were always a bit out of my budget range :frowning:

1 Like

What exactly do you mean with that sizzling?

1 Like

I know right? The Yihi chips should also be more than acceptable but pretty sure DNA 60 is more accurate in Ohm reading and power delivery… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Well, even though it may be the most accurate chip, I still don’t know if a 60W mod would satisfy my style of vaping… I’m hearing pretty good things though about the new DNA 250C.

1 Like