Tpa caramel cappuccino fail, advice appreciated

I made a mix with 4% tpa caramel cappuccino and 8% tpa vanilla custard.
Tried a bit a couple of hours later and it was like a mouth full of coffee granules.
Do i leave it for a while to see if the custard comes through.
Do i dilute it, i did mix some 15% tpa caramel candy so could chuck the 2 together.
Or is there something else i should be doing.

Tpa caramel cappuchino is one of the strongest flavorings on the market! 4% is unfortunately way to high % even if your taste buds have yet to recover from the dreaded darts lol. Diluting this mix you would need to add at least 8times more base to get it even close to vapable. When we first start out we assume more flavor will be better, fight this instinct and use less. I would try the same mix (start over) with 5% custard and 0.08% TPA CC (thats 1drop per 30ml)

2 Likes

@mixologist13
I was thinking its a bit strong, when i got it the website said its very strong 5% maximum. So i thought ok 4 will be fine.
Thanks for the advice. From the sound i will just put this in my concentrate pile and try it at about 10%

2 Likes

I never used caramel cappuccino hence I can’t comment on that.

But custard need steep time a minimum of at least 14days all the way to 3 month, depending on brand, percentage used and combination of other flavorings in that mix.

There are some exceptions of course, like combination that can give a custard effect without custards, or some brands that steep much quicker.

You could always op out for a cream or milk of some kind, if you want “quicker” coffee vape lol.

1 Like

@eStorm you sound like someone who kniws a custard.
Tpa vanilla custard i mixed it at 15%, is this more a 2 week or months one.
:thinking:

1 Like

@estorm is correct that most custards need a minimun 4 week steep. If you plan to attempt shak and vapes untill you have a cache of steeped liquids then i suggest what estorm says. Lower the percentages way down and use a combination of creams/milky flaves and custards. What other creamy flaves do you have?

1 Like

vendor site? Nahh, read notes by other here and look at examples when it is used w/ other flavors in a mix. Tips For Navigating the Flavor Page and Optional Flavor Choices For Beginners Gl to you!

4 Likes

If you search on the recipe side of the forum under flavor list you can check how others have used TPA CC this will give you an idea as to where to start %wise. I would invest in some small 5ml or 10ml bottles they are cheap and readily available and do some single flavor tests to get aquainted with your flavors as only your palate can determine a correct %. Also keep in mind flavors will change as they steep so test and restest as they develop
Screenshot_2018-08-06-12-57-33|281x500

1 Like

This is my flavour stash so far. Or it will be soon.
Flavors in stash: 7

5 5 5 5 5 5

Bavarain Cream (TPA)
5 5 5 5 5 5

Caramel Candy (TPA)
5 5 5 5 5 5

Caramel Cappuccino (TPA)
5 5 5 5 5 5

DX French Vanilla (TPA)
5 5 5 5 5 5

DX Vanilla Custard (TPA)
5 5 5 5 5 5

irish cream ( (TPA) )
5 5 5 5 5 5

Welsh Custard (chef’s)

1 Like

When u enter your flavors in your stash and/or use the flavor list, make sure u spell correctly and if in doubt chose the one w/ the most recipes. I see bavarian cream and irish cream spelled incorrectly so u will find few if any notes on them.

4 Likes

Well spotted thanks. I started trying Bavarian cream and clicked the one that came up, didn’t see the one further down the list.
For the irish cream i cant find another one.

3 Likes

Even before we get to intense flavors, that was a VERY short steep, especially with custard/creams.

@mixologist13 Nailed that one ^^^^

3 Likes

I used it at around 3% a long time ago, steep time was around 22 days for full matured but were noticeable around the 13 day mark.

That’s way lower than your 15% and you’re also using the DX version? Mine was the regular version.

I never played with the DX custard, not sure if that needs more or less steep, but I’m assuming and again it’s just my assumption, that due to the butyeric acid most v2 or dx flavors contain, need a even longer steep. I might be wrong too.

I would suggest, mix it at whatever percentage works for you, if it’s in bigger bottles, split them into smaller and then test them after 7 days, 14, 21 and maybe leave a small bottle a couple months and see which you like better.

2 Likes

Especially when you’re new to DIY and haven’t developed the patience for steeping… try the custard from Inawera, that one steeps a bit faster than the others.

2 Likes

Oh, and since you’re new and still building up a flavor stash… don’t stick to the TPA brand (because it sounds familiar or whatever reason).
Do some research before ordering flavors, there are HUGE differences between the brands, some flavors are good and some really bad (you have that with nearly every brand). Also the price could vary greatly. A bottle may be more expensive to buy compared to TPA, but if it’s a more highly concentrated flavor, you’ll use less and per ml of e-liquid, may be cheaper.

Use the flavor pages here on ELR (but use the correct name, with the most recipes) and browse the forum for reviews.
If you order via Chefs, they have a huge selection in the most common brands. A few may have a different name from across the pond, but it’s easy to find out which ones (using this forum) and if you can’t find it, just ask.

2 Likes

RF SC Custard is very palatable early on as well…

3 Likes

Unfortunately, you are incorrect IME.
DX and v2 flavors rarely change the steep time (I say rarely because I’ve never seen it, but am still allowing for the possibility), though they frequently (but not always) change the profile of the flavor compared to their normal counterpart (where they still exist).

3 Likes

You can follow this link and click add to stash up top and delete the one that is incorrect in your flavour stash.

2 Likes

Thanks, not sure where that was hiding in my list but added now.

3 Likes