Trouble with Liquid Barns Blue Raspberry flavoring

I just got into diy eliquid a few weeks ago, I purchased many flavor extracts and was only pleasantly surprised by a couple. I’m finding it difficult to make a Blue Raspberry flavor I like. Since I’m new, I’ve been sticking to single flavor mixes. The Blue raspberry flavor is VG dominant which is fine by me because im looking to make 80/20 VG/PG blend. My problem is that I cant find the right percentage of concentrate for my liquid. Liquid barns website recommends 5%. I tried that on a fresh coil and wicks and it didnt really taste like anything. A local t-shop owner told me to mix at around 20%, tried that and felt like i was vaping burnt out flavor that tasted nothing like i would expect blue raspberry to taste like. Have any of you had this problem or know of a solution? im not letting my eliquid steep, its just small amounts of test batchs that i shake and vape. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I have this flavor and I tested it at 5% and it was pretty weak. That being said, I think you may have gone to the opposite extreme with the 20%. Average mixing % looks to be around 6% and several single flavor recommendations are in the 8-10% range. You might try something like that and see if it works out better for you. If not, I’d look into adding another raspberry or berry flavor to it (or maybe dragon fruit or lemon) to enhance it and see if that helps bring the flavor out some. Also keep in mind that flavors will change with age. It’s not typical for flavors to really be at their best right away. Just like a good chili, they need some time to come together and shine. :wink:

6 Likes

Single flavor try it at 8%, since it is VG dominant let it sit for a couple weeks for the flavor to blossom.

3 Likes

Just like the dern ducks… hehehe

2 Likes

I tried it at an 8% blend too, probably should have mentioned that. Thanks for the reply though i really appreciate it!

You think steeping will really help?

1 Like

Yes it will, VG dominant flavorings need more time than their PG based cousins. That has been my experience at least, taste it at two weeks and if it is still weak let it sit another two weeks. At that point it is two weeks then you know you need to increase the percentage based on how weak it is.

3 Likes

Should i just shake it once a day and let it sit for a couple weeks then? what method of steeping do you suggest?

2 Likes

My personal method is to shake it like crazy after i mix it then let it sit in a cool dark place until it is yum, usually about a month at which point i shake it again before i vape it. If you want to shake it everyday you go right ahead and do so, many people use many different methods so feel free to experiment.

Do yourself a favor and dont use excessive heat or leave the lid off. VG is a desiccant and will absorb moisture, heat and quickly break down the volatiles.

3 Likes

I tested it at 8% and it was good to me. I had never tried this flavor before and it was very good IMO. Think I steeped it for 2 weeks.

4 Likes

Okay, awesome. Thank you so much for the valuable information! I’ll be sure to check in after letting it steep a while!

2 Likes

It was a great flavor for me too, same thing here as @Pro_Vapes, 8% 2 weeks is very tasty and I really enjoyed vaping it as a single flavor.

2 Likes

Been using blue rassberry months now. Mix at 7%, single flavor. 50% pg/50% vg, also 30/70 pg/vg. Very good flavor. Very little steeping. Shake flavoring before adding to mix. 20% flavoring not recommended .

I would never tell anyone to mix a flavor at 20% hahaha… did that guy not like you or something?

I used it at 6% but had it with a menthol it is a good flavor you just gotta find your sweet spot. Try adding just a touch of sour stay around the 0.75% mark it’ll help out the flavor being it is VGD. Good luck !

2 Likes

Those are both great ideas, Amy. Im going to mix it both ways. Ive never made a sour mix…

1 Like

Yep Walt taught me that trick. You add sour Bc it is Malic acid which helps vg flavors pop also citric acid will do too but we know we don’t want everything to be citrus !

Menthol was a fluke Bc I was testing it out when we did the LB tests and it actually taste pretty good enough for me to enjoy it and I don’t vape a lot of menthol. I posted it it’s been up a while. I even found the cotton candy in this one a nice addition yet I had only a small 5 ml tester wouldn’t want to make a big batch with that much cotton candy we both know in a months time it’s be ethyl Malto lol !

1 Like

Hows that LB Menthol? I smell and tasted more than menthol in it like spearmint i think.

1 Like

Ah yea I’m kinda thinking back and it does come off a lil green like there may be some crispness spearmint just ever so slightly it wasn’t bad at all thou plenty strong.

1 Like

I did the same but if you want the best get their sour and sweetener and add 2% of each to your 6% blue razz and hello it tastes like Lunar Harvest