Using Pressure to Infuse Flavor and Speed Steep

At this point this is all conceptual in terms of Vaping DIY. For Thanksgiving I planned to make some flavored Whip Creams with a Nitrous charged Whip it. Regular whipped cream is simple, but I went on a Google for making a Pumpkin Pie Spice whipped cream recipe. Simple answer, it’s just a 7:1 ratio of heavy whipping cream to say a Monin flavored syrup. Hey? I can make it sugar free with some Stevia or buy a sugar free syrup :wink:

However (!) I found an interesting article about using the pressure inside the bottle to extract flavor and how it was useful for regular folks who didn’t have vacuum chambers etc to do flavor extractions. I’ll cut it short as the article describes how the process works and gives a recipe for making a Turmeric infused Gin. Hmmm how about a coffee bean infused PG (or VG or PDO?) Meanwhile I’m off to the store to get some chargers.

Post-Thanksgiving I’ll have more to report …kinda excited! I mean, what would happen if I put the ingredients for a Custard in there …pressurized …and one minute later? BTW you don’t shoot it out upside down like you’re making whipped cream, you just release all the gas upright and voila! (read article) Let the Revolution begin!

http://creativewhip.com/rapid-infusion-mastering-the-art-and-science-of-flavor-extraction-with-dave-arnold/

9 Likes

I’ll be watching this thread closely! Thanks man - you be the innovator!

3 Likes

Ditto that! Very intrigued. Good luck @BoDarc :+1:

2 Likes

Fascinating info! I look forward to any developments :+1:

1 Like

When I read the title I instantly thought “someone has finally used a pressure cooker”. This whipper concept sounds very intriguing. I am curious to hear if the sweetness of the nitrous oxide infuses with the flavors of your mix or if it off-gasses leaving your recipe as is.
As far as a pressure cooker, has anyone tried this without nicotine added? I could see the process speeding up your steep times by a lot and then adding your nic to the flavor base.

I can’t imagine the heat needed to make a pressure cooker work properly would be anything but degrading to the flavors. Wouldn’t it need to get pretty hot to work?

1 Like

Ok, so rapid infusion huh. This is specifically about putting the flavour molecules into the carrying liquid. Our e-liquids already have the flavour molecules within them. So this method is not helpful using traditional e-liquid flavours.

So this method, and there are others using vacuum chambers amongst other things will be if you wanted to use natural ingredients. I’d be interested to see what happens. I’ve used this a lot for drinks, dressings and other things.

A good place to start would be something like mint or basil. If it were me I’d infuse into the PG. Not sure how this method works for denser liquids like VG. Report back interested to hear how it goes. My initial hypothesis is that the flavours extracted will be extremely weak for vaping. The ultimate flavour distillation is a vacuum rotating flask setup. $$$$$$.

Enjoy, FYI the modernist cuisine guys have a few methods that are interesting. I’ll break out some of my books and see what I can find. You know they steep/air wines using a blender. Hence why I mix with a frother, haven’t done any imperical on it. But will do some triangle tests when I get a chance. Triangle test are the best way to test 2 different sensory products for differences.http://www.sensorysociety.org/knowledge/sspwiki/pages/triangle%20test.aspx

In the article I linked it describes the pressure forcing the Gin into the Turmeric root that’s thinly-sliced. The extraction occurs when you rapidly let off all that pressure and the alcohol bubbles back out of the turmeric carrying with it an extraction which used no heat.

Imagine ginger root thinly sliced, or coffee beans… the PG (or in my case it will be PDO) is forced into the material …maybe set in some warm water like the article recommends …then let off the pressure quickly and you have an instant extraction …ok ten minutes :wink:

I don’t think it will actually influence the Maillard reaction, but there’s so many little rate reactions going on in there …let’s see what a little short term high pressure can achieve (instant Custards?!) Dunno if it’s a good extraction doing coffee beans (Vanilla beans!) but we’re about to find out …after Thanksgiving :sunglasses:

1 Like

Do you mean the kind that costa or starbucks use for my morning ginger bread coffee?

1 Like

Yes your right, but my thinking is just to reinforce my idea that it won’t benefit a juice recipe as the flavour is already “forced” into the substrate. As you state it speeds up the infusion of roots, herbs, etc. I just want to let everyone know I’m 99% confident it’ll do nothing for a juice flavour mix. Yes, yes, think ginger, teas, etc. Evaporative distillation under pressure is the ultimate flavour extraction method. Pressure reduces the boiling point. Hence not destroying the flavour and you can separate the flavour by different boiling points. Amazing stuff & amazing cost. You can find them on eBay sometimes but normally they are from a lab and you should spend a long time cleaning them as you do not know what they were doing with them. Toxic perhaps.

Dave Arnold is one to follow, amazing concoctions and a awesome intelligent hacking ethos to do so. Some really cool stuff coming from his bar. Checkout his 600° iron poker. There is definitely a crossover. importantly rapid infusion works. I have this amazing tomato water (super finely filtrated tomato liquid) infused with basil using this technique. Out of this world. Does it Vape , no not the tomato water, but this method. Interesting?

1 Like

Pressure cookers do not put the ingredients under pressure. But essentially raise the pressure of the gas within the cooker. This in turn allows the boiling point to be raised. In a standard PC from 100° to 120° that’s all it’s doing. Yes you will speed up reactions but I think the advantages are not suited to e-liquid mixing. Sorry to burst that bubble.

The rapid infusion technique also doesn’t use pressure to directly infuse flavour. It is actually the rapid releas of pressure. In doing so the gasses rapidly un dissolve from the liquid. This process is the mechanism of infusion & not pressure.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2011/10/vacuum-concentrating-part-1/

http://modernistcuisine.com/2011/11/vacuum-concentrating-part-2/

1 Like

They do but honestly, I’ve never used any sort of heat to reduce steep times so I cant speak on how heat affects or degrades flavor profiles. I know it’ll destroy nicotine though.
Was more curious if the heat and pressure would drastically reduce flavor steep times for those REALLY long waits.
Maybe if I get one (a pressure cooker that is) for Christmas I’ll give it a shot and post results.

Heat is not a friend of flavour usually. You’ll end up with a fast steep and mallard reactions but the flavours will be destroyed. That’s my prediction. Temperature controlled water baths are the best bets. Sous vide machine will be the best tool for what you are after. They control the bath temperature down to 0.1°c problem then is to test what the highest temperature/time is that doesn’t effect the flavour. Pressure cooker is way too hot for your intended purpose. But you will have a PC and I’ve got some great recipes I’d be happy to give you for dinner.

Not to hijack thread, in my opinion fastest way to steep will be. Mix well, temperature controlled water bath, then add nic mix again. Vape. The best mixing method I don’t know. One of the fastest ways to destroy flavour would be a pressure cooker.

Back to thread - interested to see @BoDarc results in infusing natural flavour like his coffee bean using rapid infusion. Love to see results.

exelent I hope to see how it develops:muecas:

I would think that the high heat and time under pressure would break flavors down. I have a pressure cooker I cook with often, but I have no idea of a starting point or on how to properly manage this process.

Oooo, sounds like witchcraft.

I. In a normal pot the dancing air molecules above the liquid get pushed out of the liquid as that witches brew heats up then as they get pushed against one another a lot of them just fly off on their brooms to go play quidditch. The liquid never gets hotter then 100°c.

However they can’t fly off in a PC so they just get closer and closer. The liquid finds it harder to pump more of them out, no more room. So what happens is the liquid just gets hotter & hotter. Standard PCs run at 120psi and allow the boiling point of the liquid to get to 120°c. The liquid is not under more pressure. It’s chemistry, liquids turn into gas as pressure increases not get more pressurised. Gas does though, but you don’t eat the gas.

Hope I’m not being too smart arsey and you already knew this and were just being funny which is highly likely. I think I’m on the autism spectrum I just couldn’t let it go unexplained even if there is a 1% chance you didn’t know. Lol. Shared knowledge can’t hurt just make me look like a douche at a chance.

1 Like

Strangely I could sooner grasp the concept of witches and flying brooms than I can anything in a pressure cooker not being under pressure. It doesn’t compute and you lost me at “chemistry.” Serously I think I probably was stoned during all classes in school where these concepts may have been discussed It’s either that or lost the info in the 35 years since my baked ass was supposed to be learning :slight_smile:

Hah, sounds like some fun times happened back there. A blessing and a curse I bet. You will have to trust me, I’m definitely not a politician or communist so you know it will be alright.

2 things to remember for Pressure cooking, peeps.

• It’s super-duper HOT(yes shouted) liquid cooking, that’s what does the acting.

• And don’t be in the room when one explodes the rest of the time you can be in the room.

You’ll be fine now.