Using Water and Vodka as a base (Instead of PG)

I posted that answer in another thread but avoided this thread as I didn’t want to poo poo the concept with my random anecdotal results. I have limited posting my own recipes because I have been experimenting with alternative PG-bases like PDO and then DW and Vodka for the last couple years .

Keeping on topic… This test didn’t offer any benefits for me. I have zero issues with PG, but was interested in getting more flavor …and all the other things we all seek …more better :wink:

I stopped using Distilled Water (sterilized) and 100 Proof Vodka (4% + 1% -> 5% total) as a PG substitute (in 80/20 mixed recipes) after having multiple upper respiratory “colds”. I never get colds. Once I stopped (bought and used some PG) these incidences stopped. Unscientific but my experience. This happened like 4 times in 3 months and went to zero since I started mixing with PG again, so it wasn’t just once or twice …and it’s been many months.

I was reluctant to post here as it was last Winter 2017 and maybe it was just me and my HVAC (heat?) who knows. However it did motivate me to vacuum lots and swap out filters etc. These little bouts became too much to bear healthwise and did stop immediately when I quit this experiment. Hey? PG is expensive BTW :smirk:

6 Likes

@Plunderdrum Yes letting the flavors meld together first for a week, then steeping into the VG. Maybe thats whys some flavors stand out or over power others, because the VG is more compatible with those flavors and it rejects the other flavors. So I think if the flavors spend time alone together without the VG they would blend better and take on characteristics of each other making the VG less likely to reject certain flavors and that the end result would be a different taste when finally steeped. Easy for anyone to test just make 2 batches and keep track how much VG Nic etc was added to the mix where you put everything together at one time. Yes it adds a week to the process, and a final proper steep.

5 Likes

@BoDarc Im off topic also, so sorry. What Im talking about has nothing to do with water. I would only test adding PGA like 0.5% in the pre-blending process with the flavors only to help blend the flavors. Then leave it for a week to evaporate off the PGA.

4 Likes

I may test it one day. Right now the only reason I’d make a one shot/stone is for finished recipes that I use a lot, just to save time mixing. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed the VG denying a flavor before. When I do that, I’ll let it sit for a while and compare to mixing like I do now.

On a similar note, I do a little tempering technique now. I add nic, then PG, then all flavors… then swirl that for a moment, then add a few grams of VG and swirl that for about a minute before topping off the rest of the VG. Kind of a micro-version of what you’re talking about.

5 Likes

@Plunderdrum Nice. Never did heat other then to lower the viscosity of the VG. But if you want to evaperate the PGA quicker. you need more surface area. So you would put the flavor mix on a platter and let it spread out over the plate that would evaporate the PGA within 5 hours I would guess.

4 Likes

Oh boy hope it’s not my flavors. Every flavor I use with Strawberry (ripe) over takes it. or the VG just rejects it more.

3 Likes

I just shake it and toss it in the steep drawer. Haven’t noticed a problem with the alcohol. Some people are sensitive and can taste it. I’m fortunately/unfortunately not able to detect it. Maybe right after mixing.

Back when this post was created. I was trying out the DW/Alc trick, but realized there was enough alcohol in most of the Pg-free flavors to help with blending. So, I just don’t add PG to my wife’s PG-free mixes now, and it works out fine.

4 Likes

that’s the key word. Not pg/vg/peg/alcohol/vinegar/distilled water and whatever else people throw in their juices.

2 Likes

@ eStorm

Yes its a shame I use so much of it, trying to fix that. :wink: and also figure out how the big manufacturers blend and mix their great juices.

I propose other people test it for themselves also with recipes they know, like and Vape often. And come back with any results.

Make enough flavor mix for 3 test batches. Then separate the flavor mix into 3 separate bottles, in equal amounts.

1. Bottle 1 - add Vg/Pg Nic and do your thing as normal.

2. Bottle 2 - Add Flavor mix and PG only, let flavors blend then add VG Nic after 1 week.

3. Bottle 3 - Add PG and 1 drop PGA let flavors blend and breath the PGA out over 1 week then add VG Nic after 1 week.

3 Likes

@Plunderdrum

Yes right on the mark, glad you understand.

In-fact alcohol does bring things together better. You probably wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for the alcohol you parents were consuming at the time. :blush:

Basically my logic is some of these concentrates start as alcohol based tinatures
where alcohol is used as the solvent. That’s why some people have issues with not being able to ship to their location because of the higher flash point ingredient. “alcohol”

So I deduce all flavors would blend differently without the restricting VG and in the presence of PGA. I would still breath it off as much as possible, but test it as a blending agent - to get the flavor party started.

BTW PGA is not Vodka, its Everclear very flammable its 190 proof where vodka is like 40 proof (80 proof US). So use with care.

5 Likes

Far-out question for diluters: Has anyone let a DW+Alcohol VG base sit for a long time (1yr) and noticed that the dilutants need to be added again?

I’m hoping that the DW and Vodka 4%/1% have evaporated from the base I made long ago, and that it’s just plain VG by now, because I’m almost out of regular VG, and still have about 400ml of diluted base. There is no nic in this, it’s just VG/DW/VDK.

TIA!

1 Like

How much vodka should be added ? 10% 20%? I stopped using PG I was getting really bad hives, my juices are ok but I think they would be better adding vodka to help thin out the VG.( I used to mix 70Vg / 30 VG)
Steve :thinking:

2 Likes

As I read in the forum, 1%. Sorry for my bad English

3 Likes

Have you tried just mixing in Max VG mode without diluting? It might be ok that way, then thin it out if needed. I don’t thin mine out at all. My wife uses the Horizon Arctic tank and it wicks perfectly with stock coils.

1 Like

Yes I have mixed around twelve 30 ml bottles at max VG they are good I am thinking if I use vodka to thin out the VG a little it might absorb the flavorings better and maybe steep faster.

3 Likes

Gotcha! I was only thinking of the wicking aspect. My advice is to put some 100 proof in a little dropper bottle and add as an ingredient per mix. I made a diluted base and can’t get that back now that I want it pure.

2 Likes

I’m looking for ways to actually impart alcohol taste to my vape juice. I’ve become enamoured with making a White Russian juice and while I can find coffee and cream aromas (or the closest commercial juice I have found is Kahlua & Cream) but I can’t seem to find any aromas that would work. Do you think that the substitution of higher percentages of actual vodka could impart some of the taste if not evaporated away?

3 Likes

I don’t think it will impart any flavour. You could try using

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Sourcing flavors all the way from Australia didn’t quite seem right for me. But I was able to find a Greek manufacturer of a pure Vodka flavor that hopefully will work.

https://e-liquid-recipes.com/flavor/254973

2 Likes

Good Luck with it. As an aside VTA flavours are available at many vendors including chefsflavours

2 Likes