Vanillin discovery

Dude! …ithinkimgonnahurl…

2 Likes

You think that’s nasty? Try getting a close up smell of someone with dreadlocks. I found out just how gross that is when I picked this smartass hippie up and body slammed him on the sidewalk of Merrimon Avenue in Asheville, NC. Those dreads went right on my face when I had him held aloft, stank man, pure stank.

1 Like

The known basic smell of all dreadlocks is that of wet-dog. Yeah, these chick’s had dreads too. . .not the nice kind either.

2 Likes

When I found out how people grow dreadlocks I asked “How the hell can you go without washing your hair for months???”. I guess if you are homeless. But damnit, even so I would find a public shower.

1 Like

Old thread I know.

What are people’s thoughts on vanillin tpa these days?

4 Likes

Old thread but a pretty good read! Some nice lines in there.

TPA Vanillin I picked up because it was cheaper than other vanillas so I figured what the heck. To me it’s a bit weak and not very rich.

5 Likes

I only use MF Vanilla, so far. Wondering what the benefit might be in using Vanillin as well. I can tell @LordVapor, though, that my wife’s dreadlocks smell wonderful! That whole not washing your hair thing isn’t necessary at all to form dreads.

5 Likes

Mine smelled amazing when I had them! Never ever like a wet dog. :wink:

Back on track…

What % did you use (if you recall)? I haven’t sf tested it, actually I’ve only had it in one recipe so far, but my curiosity is piqued from this thread…

4 Likes

I did not SF test it. I used it in three different recipes, and at 3, 3, and 6 respectively. I was not impressed but can’t honestly say I’ve exhausted all possible avenues since I only used it three times so far. I expected something like vanilla extract but it’s not nearly that potent. I have not abandoned it and will do further research eventually.

3 Likes

This has been a good thread thus far …got some good chuckles.

To me vanillin is very similar to ethyl malto, it is lightly sweet and vanillin has a hint of vanilla but not enough to be pronounced. I find it behaves well with rums, oak woods, florals, citrus, tobaccos most earthy robust flavors will benefit from vanillin and I agree @DarthVapor I find it to mute over time much in the way that EM does. A light hand goes better and a shorter steep time,
If you want real vanilla taste buy MF Vanilla or DIYFS HV or Vanilla Overload and the FA vanillas.

8 Likes

FA UK has Vanillin crystals which I use.
It actually acts as a sweetener in low %, with a vanilla back note. In fact it is very hard to impossible to pick out in a mix?

3 Likes

I read some of the notes from the recipie side only using acouoke drops per 15mls. I was :thinking: ngmof (auto correct is horrible. I was thinking of )using it truely as an enhancer and not a main profile.

I’m planning 6 differently versions of vanilla pudding and in a couple I plan to add touch of vanillin.

5 Likes

I use TFA Vanillan 10% in 3 different recipe types, Ice Creams, Custards and Chocolate. I don’t use it as often now since I discovered that LB Vanilla Ice Cream does a much better job than Vanillan does for me in my personal e-liquids. I am aware that Vanillan is the cleaner choice between the two being it is DAAP free but LB Vanilla Ice Cream is just works so good for me. I have noticed that over time the Vanillan will take over, especially where I used it over 1%.

5 Likes

I think my couple of drops translates to 0.05grams or less than 0.5%

2 Likes

Wow this is an old, forgotten thread! I still have 8oz of Vanillin on my IMF shelf, come to think of it! I don’t think I have touched it since I made this post, haha.
Since then, I have enjoyed the traditional Shisha, MF (kind of) and a few of Fan’s. I did finally get around to mixing with FLV’s Vanilla Bean last night. It will be a couple weeks before I start testing/tasting but has anyone tried it? It smells of a raw bean, borderline extract, but I also haven’t been to thrilled with all their other new(ish) flavors they sent me to test. I’m hoping it’s as good as it smells because I really want a raw vanilla flavor, minus the cream/custard qualities the rest have.

I keep seeing this Holy Vanilla being mentioned. Who has this? I suppose I should give it a try, since I haven’t bought anything new in AGES

2 Likes

Did you get guabanana? If so I can get you the recipe tonight. I have been totally digging that with mango flv and I think a drop of orange mf.

2 Likes

Yep. For whatever reason, I cannot taste it?? Even upwards of 5-6%…nothing. I also have soursop steeping

1 Like

I’ll pm it to you around 6 pst.

It’s kindof a light tropic banana flavor to me. I found adding other fruits other than banana to be pretty good.

1 Like

Curious if u got store bought pure vanilla extract to work well. I did fiddle a bit when i started but after reading, i guess i wasnt a quack after all. it’s 35% alcohol based so i would assume a few hour breath would be needed.

1 Like

I think a touch of it goes along ways to enhance I’d consider starting at 0.25-0.50% you’re going to be busy. Are u by chance making 6 to test 6 different vanillas lol ?

@DarthVapor - DYIFS has holy vanilla https://www.diyflavorshack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HOLY+Vanilla+Flavoring+DIY you n me both I still haven’t tried it lol but it gets rave reviews everytime I read about vanillas

4 Likes