Vortex Mixer

I bit the bullet and ordered a vortex mixer because the ultrasonic wasn’t doing what I wanted it to. I don’t mind a bottle sitting in a dark closet for weeks after I know the mix is going to work, but when I’m trying to make a new recipe I want to know what it’s going to taste like. Anyway, mine has the little insert but no plate http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-63701734676378/unico-tube-vortex-mixer-14.jpg. Any ideas on how the heck to use this thing or how long you use it for?

2 Likes

Oh my gosh, I’m so jealous. That is exactly what I want. :smile: I’d put it on touch and maybe medium speed. Then just stick the bottle on it and push down. Should whirl up the mix in no time.

1 Like

I’m hoping it’s worth it. Will definitely post tomorrow after I try it out. My little people are running around so no mixing for me during the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear! I used one in labs in school and fell in love with it. They’re fun. LoL. I tried to get an engineering student friend of mine to build me one, but he decided it’d be too much trouble. I think if you put it on auto it will stay on and touch will turn it on when you push down. Might be fun for the kids to watch it, if it worked, make a tornado with some water in a soda bottle. :stuck_out_tongue: Unless they’re too little to care or would be inclined to try it themselves with who knows what. LoL.

1 Like

LOL I did that today believe it or not. Dropped a drop of blue food coloring in water and allowed them to watch. They love the tornado effect. Ex Respiratory tech here, and I loved going to the lab and watching them play with their gadgets!!! I know there are gadgets you can buy to add the centrifuge aspect for tubes but I blew my budget on that this month so will have to wait until next month to think about that addition. I just don’t mix around them ever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wondered what a Vortex Mixer was, now I know…

2 Likes

That centrifuge (tube mixer) will be my next purchase for it!

1 Like

I want one. I just checked ebay, here in Europe they’re pretty expensive, but in the states you can get a used one for under $40!

You know you can’t use it to mix with, right? A centrifuge I mean… It’ll separate your liquid…

1 Like

This is what I’m trying to find a discount for now LOL

So you would just recommend putting your juice bottle in the center instead? How long would you do that for? Or would you still buy tubes?

I’d recommend using the middle thing, unless those centrifuge-things shake instead of rotate - I just saw a video and they had a lot of tubes on what looked like a centrifuge thing, but it was just shaking! :smile:

I’ve seen others where you can switch the middle thing with a bigger platform as well… :smile:

2 Likes

As @daath said a centrifuge is a no-go for mixing. I’d pulse it for 5-10 seconds or until it looks really mixed. Unless it isn’t working with the bottles, the tubes are just one more thing you have to wash or toss. The bigger platform might be a good buy though…give you more flexibility with the size of bottle you could use.

2 Likes

yeah someone told me they had the center thing and put their juice in a mason jar to mix. Now for me I could see that flying off and smacking me in the face hahahhaha

heheh you definitely need to hold it down! :smiley:

1 Like

LOL yep hold it down or have a party watching glass fly across the room. gigglesnorts

3 Likes

Very Nice ! let us know how it works out ! I would defiantly get that middle attachment to put bottles in ( the one with the hole ) I typically will spin mine til they’re completely white and foamy then I take the top off and let it settle. Depends if I repeat the process on certain flavors I will. ( I have a magnetic mixer ) that vortex looks very interesting and I have thought of it often. Keep me posted :smiley:

1 Like

So the very first thing i thought of was that it is a vibrator, not in the naughty way mind you, perverts! Then i went about looking into them and found one on Amazon. Read the only comment, if you dare…

Im still unsure how this device works, i had hoped that someone on amazon would comment with more detail but of course not, its amazon.

Seems like it would be great for nicotine homogenization especially when suspended in VG. It would be worth it for that alone…

4 Likes

It is a vibrator :smile:

4 Likes

Interesting, one of them wands and some homemade attachment then. I was just about to ask the wife about the mixer as im sure i have seen some in her lab.

2 Likes

ROFLMAO more info than I needed hahahahahaha

1 Like