Vortex Mixers - let's talk

I was “watching” that one. Sorry you lost it

1 Like

So I’ve learned a bit. I’ve been mixing with these nifty screw top flasks from ECX.

http://www.ecigexpress.com/diy-e-liquid/mixing-tools-safety/plastic-labware/125ml-plastic-erlenmeyer-flask-with-threaded-lid.html

So anyhoo, I’ve got the big 100mm platform on. What I have learned is the higher the viscosity of the fluid, the slower you need to mix. It also helps with the thick stuff if you start slow and dial up. I can mix anything to a real light froth in those flasks. The big 4oz boston rounds are still an issue. Anyway, hope that helpful. YMMV. Unless you have disposable income, I would try one out before buying. I’ll be able to make mine work, but a mag mixer probably would have been better.

This also means that if you ARE going to buy one, I’d highly recommend getting a variable speed unit. If you want to do more that about 30ml, you need the bigger platform IMO.

I want one! But all the cheaper ones are in the states :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully a cheaper one in EU will show up, some day :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Lars, if you need me to pick one up, ship it to the Netherlands and then on to Denmark just let me know and I’ll make it happen.

Actually, I’ll probably be over in Europe in the first quarter. Might be able to bring it in by plane and ship from the UK. The only problem there is we’d need to get a dual voltage one and you’d have to use an adapter or replace the plug…thats usually very easy.

1 Like

Thanks TRW :smiley: That’s so kind of you! I will think about it - I might not have room for more gear :stuck_out_tongue: (listening to my USC with a bunch of juice in it right now) :smiley:

Oh, and isn’t most equipment wired for both 110/230v these days? The plug, I would just cut off and replace with an EU-plug! :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I know what you mean about footprint. This is starting to need to be a wing on my house.

Yes with good luck dual voltage but I am literally not getting up to look today. I will though!

1 Like

I don’t have the platform… can you stick the flask top side down inside the mixer?

My platform is a 4 inch round flat rubber tray with sticky studs. The rubber piece for vials could hold a flask with a non-dipper lid upside down. I switch them out depending on what flasks I am using. I never mix below 30ml though. Upside down doesn’t work well for me.

What PG/VG are you using?

1 Like

50/50 for the most part if not then 60/40

Hi,

I´m thinking about to buy me one of these Vortex mixers. Is it a good invest or is a magnetic stirer with hotplate the better choice? Do the juices need a steep too?

Can i put a erlenmeyer on the plate without a cap to Vortex?

1 Like

Honestly, I know it seems like a slick solution…but mine, at least, is not. TBH, it’s very hard to beat a $15 badger mixer. It achieves the exact same thing 10x faster and is designed to mix well without aerating. Don’t waste your money…I’d give you mine, but it looks cool, so you’re own your own.

As for shaking the Erlenmyer no way on mine you need to press or things will fly. I believe you’d be looking for a lab shaker table to go that slow. I think it would take more than those have for mixing ability unless you would wait days…could be an interesting experiment, but i’d just buy more flavors (I don’t use) instead. I’d be happier anyway.

1 Like