Water Filtration Systems

Honestly my Dad was sure to impart on us the importance of a large vocabulary. I can relate. It does help you keep up with a lot of otherwise lost conversations. Some people have a way with words, others not have way.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I have Google too.

1 Like

Hey now! Remember Iā€™m just a dumb army guy!

4 Likes

I read something scary today that has me re-thinking this whole thingā€¦ Everyone who drank unfiltered water in the 18th century is dead now. Holy crap!

3 Likes

ba3
Dangerous shit, dude.

4 Likes

Uh huh. That water stuff (DHMO) is deadly.

76e4bdc1ccebda5dcd173bc89998526661660717_1_584x500

5 Likes

Our tap water is not too bad, we drink fridge filtered tap water for its superior taste. I was once stuck in the desert with no water and had to drink the melted ice from coolers, It tasted like bologna and it worked well sustaining our life, but Iā€™d really only give it 1 star :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Our tap water is god-awful, but I donā€™t think itā€™s my cityā€™s fault. I think the pipes in the house I am staying at are old and disgusting. I think whoever added the part I live in did it themselves, and I donā€™t think they did the plumbing (or anything important for that matter) right. Iā€™d love a better filtration system, but for now Iā€™m just using a Pur filter on the sink and a Brita pitcher in the fridge. At least it doesnā€™t taste like it smells. Iā€™m scared to test it. I donā€™t wanna know. Iā€™m not dying (that I know of) so I decided to leave it at that. LoL.

1 Like

Testing is cheap, here the city does it in the water lab for $30.00 itā€™s not a full battery of tests but itā€™s the ones that will make you sick. They give you the bottle and tell you how to do it. I do one a week for a Realator in my area.

1 Like

But what if I find out thereā€™s something really gross in there? :face_vomiting: Then I couldnā€™t drink my water anymore. :cry:

I probably should test it but I feel like thereā€™s not a whole lot I can do about it right now given itā€™s not my house. :woman_shrugging:

Then your land lord has to fix it.

I have drank some bad city water, Gillette WY and Byers CO comes to mind of places where Iā€™d have to have a water filtration system to live there. Sulfur water, the indians tho knew it to have healing properties.

1 Like

Er, yeah thatā€™s not gonna happen and opens up a whole other conversation. LoL. Are there affordable systems that will filter the water after it comes out? Maybe I should just live in ignorant bliss until Iā€™m able to change my current situation. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yes give me a few and I will see what I can find, itā€™s not perfect but will help, the best advice I can give is to flush you lines befor you fill your pitcher or use the faucet filter by running your water for a few minutes. That will get all the stagnant water out of the lines thatā€™s had time to leach anything harmful from the pipes and give you better water.

2 Likes

ZeroWater 10 Cup Pitcher with Free Water Quality Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073PZ6O0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_t-YBAbSR75T5V

2 Likes

That looks alot like her Britta? what about double filtering through a couple different filter pitchers?

If they filter to the same micron levels and similar media types thereā€™d be little point.

1 Like

While it looks the same itā€™s not, it filters more out that is the best option when you take everything into account, filter quality, whatā€™s removed, cost of filters. Now if someone wants to step it up a portable RO system like this.
Premium Countertop Reverse Osmosis Revolution Water Filtration System with 100 GPD membrane. Made in USA. Universal faucet/laundry outlet connection. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ZJTWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kV0BAbV29QCCW
It would be miles ahead of a pitcher and perfect for people that rent, like @JoJo.

3 Likes

Get something like what Cutlass recommended:

I found one on Craigslist, NIB for around $100 a few years back. Easy to install, easy to re-locate when you move. Replacement filters on eBay, if you dig around they are less expensive.

I donā€™t know how often to check/replace filters, but about once a year works for me (@Cutlass92, how often should I be checking/changing filters ?)

I hooked up a 10 gallon dispenser tank with a fish tank float to the RO system, and itā€™s always full, with a big spigot to get the water out fast.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Plastic-Mini-Float-Valve-For-Aquarium-RO-DI-Reverse-Osmosis-System-FC-/401156927476?hash=item5d66d0eff4

2 Likes

Honestly there are a lot of factors that go into saying well yo need to change filters now, personally I use a permanently installed TDS metier with two probs that measure the incoming and filtered TDS in the water. Like this one.
HM Digital DM-1 In-Line Dual TDS Monitor, 0-9990 ppm Range, +/- 2% Readout Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EHAZGW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_H80BAbAGCE0SG
But as a rule of thumb I usually replace the fiber, granular carbon, and carbon block filters once per year in my system and the membrane filter when the TDS reads above 10ppm.

1 Like