"What can I Make" is getting annoying

Just a suggestion, but is there a way to filter out recipes using flavors not contained in one’s flavor stash when searching for recipes using the list of flavors in their stash?
It’s incredibly annoying to search according to my flavor stash, only to be inundated with recipes bearing the notation “you are missing ingredients”. The entire point of searching by my flavor stash should be to find recipes for which I DO have ingredients… shouldn’t it?

6 Likes

That is already in place. Make sure “None” is set and no recipes will come that have missing ingredients.

Capture

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/guide

7 Likes

Yes their is a way if you click

what can I make

it will only show recipes you can make based on flavors you have in your stash

Search by flavor stash

to me is more of show me recipes that contain strawberry(ripe) so that I can see a new flavor to order or find something I can adapt or be inspired.

5 Likes

I gave up on that function a long time ago. Don’t get me wrong it’s a useful tool, but apparently I can make 3800 recipes, however the first 250 pages (it’s not the exact number here, just using random high number for the funny aspect) is a strawberry milk of some kind.

Now I could skip over 250 pages, but there always be 1-3 recipes that might look good inbetween the unicorn milks lol.

I sometimes search by flavor stash, but clicking the flavors I want in a recipe. Much more accurate for me, however if you just mark one ingredient, then it shows you over 10k recipes with that flavor and missing.

If you click let’s say strawberry ripe, Bavarian cream, lemon, Brown sugar. You get maybe 20-50 and it mostly does not include recipes that are missing ingredient. Most of the time it does and I think that’s what the OP would like to have changed I guess.I

But as pointed out it’s there “what can I make” just have to be brave enough, scrolling through 600 pages of the same thing or adaption of a copy over copy and well another copy lol

2 Likes

Can you take some screenshots perhaps? The function “What can I make” shouldn’t return any recipes that you don’t have flavors for, unless you indicate that you allow a certain amount of flavors missing, see MisterSinner’s message.

6 Likes

I believe the idea behind “What Can I make” is that it is a guide to help you see what others are doing with the flavours you have in your stash not a definitive list of recipes you SHOULD make.

10 Likes

That is how it works until I hit a particular flavor and try to search for recipes using that extract. Then it seems to allow any and all recipes. I understand that could be useful, but maybe a toggle for “ignore recipes I can’t make with what I have” would be nice.
I will try hitting more than one flavor and see if that helps. At this point I’m mostly just experimenting because it’s just too annoying to sift through pages of “if only you had x” to find a recipe I can make with what I have on hand.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I do get your frustration, but it may be useful to include a screenshot of what exactly you mean. Maybe you’re doing something wrong that we can help with.
I don’t exactly understand what you mean with

4 Likes

Yeah, this one has me a bit confused also. The “What Can I Make” option only returns recipes that are in a users Private Flavor Stash. It sounds like the OP is somehow viewing recipes outside of that option.

2 Likes

Just delete from your stash all the strawberries you have… :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: Just joking…:joy::+1:

3 Likes

Not sure what you are doing, but if you click “What can I make” - all the recipes it shows should only contain flavors in your stash (unless you allow missing flavors). It sounds like you navigate out of that list at some point, and land on the “regular ELR”…

3 Likes

I know right, I did consider it but knowing my luck, there’s that most amazing holy grail of recipes everyone would be vaping, but it won’t show up because I deleted the one strawberry it uses :rofl:

As I said I don’t use it often, but sometimes it’s nice to see what other mixers do and get some inspiration.

3 Likes

I was joking… wasn’t saying it seriously, and you’re right, Murphy’s law just behind? the corner…:rofl:

3 Likes

As a newbie I find this feature quite useful. What I miss is to exclude one or more flavors for the search. This would limit down the results to a particular flavor like Apple or whatever I want to mix.

1 Like

As a noob to ELR, I read here somewhere to run the “what can I make” and once the list populates I click on the rating title and it brings up a sorted list of the highest rated recipes. Took me a few frustrating weeks before I discovered this option.
I am amazed at the sheer number of Great recipes on ELR. Awesome site once you read all of the tips for beginners!

5 Likes

when you get to the “list” of recipes, click on the blue ratings and it will load all the recipes with more than one star. Now, that isn’t always a good thing, but it should navigate around all the “strawberry” recipes.

4 Likes

There are already topics about this missing feature
One of the workarounds is that you can use google search to fine-tune your queries, e.g.

2 Likes

I find the “What can I make” function pretty useful when looking for inspiration.
On the other hand it’s a shame boolean functions (NOT, AND, OR, NOR, etc.) are not implemented in ELR’s search engine in general.
It’s usually just a “copy/paste and customize file locations” kind of deal.
The necessary code might actually already be there but not activated.
It would be a real boon for those comfortable with boolean functions, and I’m willing to write an exhaustive How To for those who aren’t.
I should probably start a topic about this instead of hijacking this one :wink:
Cheers.

2 Likes

Would be nice to read if Boolean functioning was used here.

1 Like

AFAIK there aren’t any search modifier options in ELR’s search engine, I’ve tried all the standard ones I know of.
Someone else asked if boolean operators are available in ELR search engines back in 2016, once.
It’s the only other reference I found about the subject in the forum and FAQ.
Maybe if we ask nicely it could become an avenue to explore.
Anyway, I’d be more than happy to help with coding, as I said it should be simple enough to implement.
BTW, a lot of search engines have boolean search functions, but lots of users who don’t use them don’t even know they’re there, it doesn’t change anything for them.
Cheers.

1 Like