What do you do as a profession?

I’m a lab technologist in a small hospital. Supervisor of the 3-11 ⎌shift. I was 30 when I went to college and it was the best thing I ever did. I also do autopsies with the pathologists and coroner… Most interesting part of my job. Started vaping 4 years ago and quit the cigs the same day. Been DIYing for a couple years, with not much success, until I found this forum. Lots of great info and many friendly and helpful people here. Appreciate all of you❤️

6 Likes

I am a tool and die machinist working for a small metal stamping facility.I work nights, usually four ten hour shifts.Love the schedule as it gives me time to enjoy my hobbies.

3 Likes

I was a gynecologist in my early years, but I lost most of my patients through the depression of divorces.
Once realized, I knew I needed to boost my credentials and my income to cover the demands of my
shortcomings, and pay [continually, at the pace of 18yrs per] the required court costs that followed. I secured
degrees that were monetarily healthy at the time, with much effort on my part, and opened my own doors of business against many odds at the time. I worked diligently, against all the lost love of my prior profession, and grew an international business. One that allowed me more wonderful avenues in life than I surely deserved. I persevered for 43 years and retired, now I sit at home all day in my underwear…and wait on the UPS truck to bring the treats to my door, for me…and my cats. I do go out in public, usually at night, not that I’m hiding, but to check on the Homeless Veterans, sleeping (if they can) on sidewalks, with socks and underwear that haven’t been off their body in a month or two, and to bring them at least a sandwich, a sheet or blanket [whatever I have left when I get to them] and at LEAST some socks and underwear that are new and clean. I am so hurt that I can’t get all the way under the bridge before I run out of everything but love to give. I cook all day, my cats(all indoor only) eat well, as do all the other rescues [mustangs, emus, burros, raptors, reptiles, unclaimed military dogs, etc. but my income only goes so far…I take as much as I can in cheap containers [disposable] and pass out what I have. Sometimes I don’t have enough plastic spoons to go with the containers, and it is heartbreaking when they apologize to ME, thank ME, and gladly eat with their fingers. Sometimes I wish I was still a simple gynecologist.
@Amy2 @authormichellehughes @daath @ringling @JoJo

8 Likes

Wow what a heart of gold Ozo your a blessed person I imagine just by doing the simple things your doing ! We treat our dogs better than our Vets in this country. I sure hope they can devise a health plan where All vets and elderly can have FREE health care.

Nice post ! Thanks 4 sharing.

1 Like

They[WE] already have one…it just doesn’t get passed on to so many that have EARNED it . As an RN, I know you have a sincere degree of passion for the ill…and please, always ‘capitalize’ when you type the words ‘Vets’, Veterans’, etc…from a salute of honor, if for nothing else. I work with homeless Veterans everyday, and long ago…I lost my “man card”…I cry real tears EVERY DAY ! I wish I could find a way to get some of these homeless veterans off of the cigarettes…they scavenge the curbs to get butts to smoke. If I could find a way to get them a way to charge the batteries/mods…then a sponsor to give them the equipment…then folks to donate the juice…then more than just myself to help distribute it all-stay on top of it…but what a dream that is, eh?

3 Likes

Yes , I’ve taken care of many Veterans ( I capitalized :wink: ) and their stories are heart breaking to hear bc most of the time they’re broke and living minute to minute not knowing where they will get their next meal. Most do not even want to get their surgeries from the VA Hosp. d/t poor medical care.

The charging of the batteries would be a big deal and hard to do but yes I would donate as well.

2 Likes

Retired ER Nurse after 35 yrs. Lived in Southern California and worked at a hospital in San Bernardino. Loved the work and the people I worked with. Miss the people, great family. Pounding hard concrete floors took a toll on the puppies and ended up retiring early with Neuropathy. Refuse to sit at a desk, so I retired.
Part time tattoo artist of 40+ yrs and presently flip houses to rent them out for extra scratch. Living in a tiny 1800 population town in BFE Kansas is a full time job. For fun I ride my Harley, build Harley’s, sling ink on a very select few, mix my Madd Scientist mixes and enjoy my family. Life is wonderful, one day at a time.

7 Likes

@Amy2 The problem with Veterans and the VA admin…even if one has been admitted for surgery, or otherwise…is getting a [QUALIFIED} pos, er, uh, person to diagnose them…as anything! You are an RN…you surely understand that without any diagnosis…no [anything] can be planned. The VA is overwhelmed, there is no doubt, but it is still no reason to shine them on…using outdated rules/policies. In a nutshell…our beloved Veterans…go to the VA, get an appointment 3 weeks out which keeps getting moved ahead, as much as several months…bad enough, right? Then still get the shaft [sorry, I don’t have an appointment for you on record] Without a diagnosis [PTSD or ANY thing] they can NOT get their disability checks…for the fortunate ones that DO GET DIAGNOSED…and are homeless…no address, still can NOT get their disability checks !!

@spitt4516 Huge jump from San Bernardino to Egypt [KS] :weary: no tornado activity to worry one…must be a relief. The ‘puppies’ need petting…maybe just with coconut oil…daily. Rental property can be as stressful as , or worse than…your Mother-in law living with you ! If I come rub your feet…would you tat some ruby lips on my butt cheek ?

3 Likes

Ozo, how long has it been since you had any…sounds desperate to me, haha.

2 Likes

Lead case manager for a disabled homeless permanent housing program. I’ve met many Vets, senior retired, sick etc. Lots of stories both uplifting and horrifying. We only help singles at this time because of the large amount of red tape regarding families and federal funding. Programs like mine are difficult because of the restrictions placed by the feds and lack of financial support by the general public. I usually ask that if you want to help out someone without a home, feed them but any cash please seek your local shelter or housing program and donate it to them. Also a bag of canned and box food donated to a shelter a month helps tremendously. They need it.

5 Likes

I am retired police officer after working in Glasgow (Scotland) inner city areas for 12 years and then the rest of my service in the Traffic Department, before retiring through ill-health after a vehicle decided to hit me at 80 mph head on and sending me to land on the top of a crash barrier. I haven’t worked since but play poker and golf and now DIY mix to make my days go in.

Oh well that’s people not talking to me now!!! :smile:

7 Likes

After retiring from the USAF, found a job making 199 proof ethanol.
Retired from there after 15 years to draw Social Security.
New profession based on finding the perfect place to nap.
( Couch, Hammock, lazyboy, etc. )
Still searching for things to do between NAP research.

7 Likes

@spitt4516 Hmmmm, I don’t think it was in this century.

@Lostmarbles And new packages of socks and underwear…male and female.

@SteveD259 I saw you on the www innertube… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Llde0i3rk

4 Likes

@ozo , still slingin’ ink by appointment only and thus to a select few. Don’t understand the century. Guess I wasn’t either.

Will never refuse a foot massage though

1 Like

Director of Operations for an Electrical Contractor

2 Likes

I wear lots of hats. Supervisor, Engineer, CNC Programmer, Machinist. I work for a small race shop in Indy making parts for everything from every day hot rods to Indy Cars. We make a lot of Sprint car stuff, and a few parts for Dallara, who are the people making the Indy Car currently. Here are some cool things I get to make…
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/2FastLX/media/Machining/HPIM3215-Copy.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/2FastLX/media/Machining/100_0071.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/2FastLX/media/Machining/20130830_093840_zps7be33af6.jpg.html][/URL]

I have also done a lot of design and engineering
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/2FastLX/media/Machining/20130809_175359_zps0fb5ca72.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/2FastLX/media/Machining/20130810_104715_zps0a1b5e38.jpg.html][/URL]

7 Likes

Here is a cool video of part of the headlight knob machining. I forgot I had this.
[URL=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/2FastLX/Machining/20130726_163455_zps50baac7e.mp4][/URL]

8 Likes

“Ozo, how long has it been since you had any…sounds desperate to me, haha.”----- @spitt4516
[ Hmmmm, I don’t think it was in this century.]----ozo

Can you measure…and cut me a mold for a pair of mono-grips?