What percentage of flavor is your mix?

I try to use a percentage of flavoring that balances properly. I’ve never used more than 21-22% flavoring, from what I remember, because it seems to mute the flavor of the mix after a good steep. How much I use depends on the brand of flavoring. Some are just a LOT more concentrated than others.

If you would like to know how much of a particular flavor is the average used, look at the ‘median’ when you look at that flavor’s description page. That gives you a good starting point to use, depending on if you want the flavor to be the background or in the forefront of the vape.

4 Likes

My suggestion is forget the notion that you’re shooting for a certain range of flavoring. Every single flavoring is different. Some TPA flavors make a good standalone at 15% while others will knock your socks off at 5%. So if you’re mixing up a bunch of the former, you should aim for around 15% and if you’re mixing up a bunch of the latter you should aim for around 5%. You can usually go a bit higher when you are mixing things that play well together, but if you’re mixing (for example) 3 different kinds of strawberry you’re likely to want to keep it a bit on the low side.

The most useful thing you can do, IMO, is figure out what your stand-alone percentage is for every flavor you plan to use. That way you know if you have some super-strong player in the mix who is gonna short out your tastebuds at 10%. If you look at any flavor in the database on this site, if people have entered their recommended stand-alone percentages, that’ll be on the right. There’s also an “Average mixing quantity” on the left (if there’s data for both) but I find that number a little less useful because it’s an average across recipes where the flavor may have been dominant or an accent or who knows! Also the minimum and maximum used quantities tend to be useless as well because that could be from someone calculating a flavor base or making a joke entry or just being weird. Take them with a huge grain of salt.

5 Likes

Bingo! :grinning:

I’ve got killer 20% mixes and killer 3% mixes. It all depends with which flavor(s) you’re working and how your taste buds and olfactory senses react to the flavor(s). :wink:

5 Likes

Depends on the company agreed. I’ve made a great mix at 8% with Flavor Art and went up to 23% when using TPA

3 Likes

Thank you for feedback, I see the medium now. For example I want to make a 70-30 blend at 100 ml. I was taking 70 ml VG and then taking 10ml Blue raspberry, 10 ml Cotton Candy, and 10 ml black cherry. (all flavor west). Would you say the 30% flavorings is way to much?

1 Like

@bradleyb5155 If using FW then I’d start around 3% for each flavor and increase it 1% (or not if one flavor is overpowering) after letting it steep for a day or two. If you haven’t tried this yet I’d make a small 10ml batch first to make sure you like it.

3 Likes

I also take into consideration what equipment I am mixing for…Got some mixes that I make for a little Aspire tank with the small replaceable coil that I do at about 15% - 18%…For my RTAs like the Goblin Mini or LemoDrop, I mix that same flavor at around 9% … Surface area of the coil/wick and power are big determining factors for me…Then enter Medicine Flower or Flavorah… off the charts flavor at 1.5% and up… :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

[quote=“bradleyb5155, post:1, topic:48091”]
most people shoot for 20-30. What is your suggestions?
[/quote]Flavor % is determined by the flavors used. I have mixes 3% to 24% total flavor. IMO you never shoot for a certain total %… you shoot for a mix flavor that you like. The % is what you end with when your mix is complete. In the words of @Ken_O_Where, “It takes what it take”. or something like that.

There are limits as to how much of each flavor to use. You can find them in the flavor notes on ELR.

Just as @zigz pointed out.

What percentage of flavor is your mix?

4 Likes

I always use around 18% of flavoring and 50-50 PG and VG.

1 Like

Even with FA, INW or MF. What vendors are you using. That’ll be fine for CAP, FW and TPA. I’ve found that % to be overkill for premium flavors in most cases, unless it’s a mix of both normal and premium flavors.

3 Likes

I was going to post that awhile ago but then got sidetracked and forgot. I add as much or as little flavoring as a recipe takes to taste how i want it to.

My highest, actually its the wifes recipe, is 23.5%
My lowest is 2%

Cool thing about DIY is that if you like it who cares what other people think.

5 Likes

are flavorings from FW 100% PG?

Here’s a different opinion about high % total flavors I found on ECF not long ago. It has more to do with non/short steep mixes.

Bill’s Magic Vapor;14339663 said::

Ok, Reni, I’ll chime in, but I’m always reluctant, because steepers have such fixed opinions about their heating/timing processes.

I do not use heat, or substantial agitation (only a 30 second good shake) with my juices. Over time, the different flavorings will bond together to form blends of the flavorings, sometimes with predictable results, sometimes with unexpected results. When I was a new juice maker, I found it very hard to make good juice because of the time required for steeping. Making new juices, or even really good juices was so slow because I had to wait for steeping to occur. Some juices took a few days to steep, others weeks to steep.

In order to speed up the steeping process, many juice makers elected to use heat to “speed steep” their juices. Does this work? Yes and No. Sure, heat will increase chemical activity in solution, no question, but at a price. The price is in entropy. By introducing heat into steeping, you are adding “energy” that would not exist if you just allowed time to steep your juices. Because of an increase in entropy, the final juice made with heat will ALWAYS be different than the juices made without heat. This is just basic thermodynamic physical law. Adding heat to a mix is no different than adding a different ingredient, because it is a different ingredient. You can make the argument that one is trading a slightly different mix to vastly shortened steep time, and, who can argue with this? The point is that the juice IS DIFFERENT after using heat, with a shorter steep time, than juice without heat and a longer steep time, and it may or may not make the juice better.

Where I have differences with some steepers is the contention that great juice REQUIRES a long steep time. I have not found that to be the case, provided we use high flavoring percentage mixes. All of my juices have flavor percentages between 20 and 30% of overall mix. In my case, this is my PG component, and the balance (70%) is my VG component. This varies by user, and does also affect flavor, throat hit and vapor production. Vaping temperature also affects the juice flavoring (watts).

I prefer making good juice with short steeping time frames. It’s the only way it works for me, otherwise it would take weeks to make a decent juice. I will settle for really good juice at time of mix, and the expectation that it might “steep” and flavor bond (a condition of low entropy) and become great juice. Often this is the case. To do this is really simple, use enough flavoring where steep time to “bring out” flavorings is not required, as they are already there at the time of the mix. Whenever I run into folks that insist that their juices require weeks to steep to become Nirvana, I often find out that they use low flavor percentage mixes. This actually makes perfect sense. The flavor percentage is low at the time of mixing, and it takes time for these flavors to emerge, with or without heat. SOLUTION: HIGH FLAVOR PERCENTAGE MIXES.

For me, it either tastes good at mix, or I change it. I don’t have time to wait days and weeks for the flavors to emerge. When I dumped that thinking, my juice improved immediately, as I can immediately remix flavorings until they are good…I don’t have to wait. Also, I want to introduce as few variables into the juices as possible. Why? Because I don’t want the flavoring (which is good at mix) to change substantially over time, or by adding thermodynamic variables, entropy, catalytic action, or what have you. I just want the juice to flavor bond (couple of hours usually), and then taste great, and stay great. In my experience, as Reni said, less than good juice…NEVER becomes great juice. And why should it need to? Why not keep trying to make a mix that DOES TASTE GOOD initially? The obvious advantage is NO WAITING. It’s good out of the can, you know it’s good, it may become great, but it’s NOT BAD! Good is good, bad is bad…NEXT! Easy peasy!

5 Likes

Bill’s way may be the answer for those without any patience and those that are new and ‘NEED IT NOW’ to get started. Something he didn’t talk about is anyone mixing at very high percentages should expect that ejuice to change over time anyhow, and probably NOT in a good way. My experience with any of the mixes I made with very high percentages of flavoring is, after steeping for 3 weeks, it’s either very harsh or the flavors have melded in a way as to mute everything.

So, my GENERAL rule for mixng is this:

High (20% or more) flavoring - Mix very small amounts and VAPE IT UP.
Lower percentage of flavoring - Can mix bigger batches, but Steep, steep, steep that baby

This is all my own subjective opinion from experiences of course.

8 Likes

I agree… that’s a technique I will never try. I was a little surprised when I came across that thread. It goes against everything I have learned here. I keep enough juice on hand to not be in a rush when it comes to mixing/steeping.

3 Likes

You have to get to know each and every one of your flavors. This is where all the trials and errors occur but also where you get your experience.

The recipe’s percentages of flavors should vary depending on what you are going for.

2 Likes

Actually I believe in my self and uses DIY e liquid. So everything is depends on me to make my e liquids.

I try not to go above 20% flavour and absolutely never above 25%. Some of my mixes come in as low as 10% flavour. I make 10ml, test it around 10-14 days on a dripper and again around 28 days and so on up to about 150 days where I find very little will change. I have had a couple of mixes even at 15% to 20% that didn’t come good till 90 days or more. I mix on a cold electro-magnetic stirrer for 5 mins, bottle and store in a box. As a rule custard based juices I don’t even bother with testing until 21days, custards do seem to take longer in my personal experience. I must have made in excess of 150 juices, and sometimes 10 to 20 versions of each recipe. How many have been keepers, 3. Yep that’s right only 3 and they are all custard based. If only I could replicate Cereallday by BordO, must have made 20 attempts so far, but not even close. So in my humble opinion, patience makes a good juice, add some luck and you have a great juice.

2 Likes

DO you never go above $50 because of the high cost associated with the flavorings or because it is detrimental to the e-juice to go that high

2 posts were split to a new topic: The Flavour Concentrate Company TFCC